What's new

can't figure out how to get my tv audio to come through the speakers... (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i get DVD and CD audio fine, but i can't figure out how to get the tv audio coming out.

i have a Denon AVR-2802 and i have the tv's audio out running into the TV/DBS jacks on the receiver via a standard red/white rca cable.

what am i doing wrong? is it because i set the input for tv to "coaxial"? the only options were "optical 1, optical 2, optical 3, coaxial, and off"

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
Switch your receiver to TV/DBS and select analog(on your remote or front panel). That should work...

The settings you are taking about are for a digital connection(fiber optic or coaxial) reassignment.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
hmm - still not working...even when it says analog

theoretically, my connections are right, aren't they?

TV Audio Out -> Receiver TV/DBS

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, your connections are right.

I would check for a setting on the TV itself...
What TV do you have?

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
it's an RCA...belongs to my roommate.

see, i have the DVD player running to the receiver through S Video. then i have the TV running to the receiver through S Video as well. i also have the red/white a/v cable running from the tv to the receiver.

when i watch a DVD, i hit "input" on the tv remote and it says S Video in the top right corner of the screen. when i select tv/dbs and hit "input," it says "Video 00" in the top right corner and "Unusable Signal" in the bottom left. not sure if that helps...

and i still get volume through the tv speakers...

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
Let me see if got it right, your TV has not only audio out, but video out also right (in s-video)?
You should not connect the video output to the receiver since this is just going to create a nasty loop... as you witnessed by your tv telling "unusable signal", (think about it, you are trying to display what the receiver is sending to the tv, but your receiver is sending what the tv is sending it .... you get the idea)

Still, that should not be a problem. You are trying to watch regular TV right? Have you browsed the menus on the TV?. I am almost sure there is a setting there that's preventing audio from coming out through the audio out.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
yes, the TV has Audio Out and an S Video Out, and i'm just trying to watch regular tv and have the sound come from the speakers. i'll check the tv remote more thoroughly in the morning

hmm - so should i just be sending the S Video straight from the DVD to the tv? where does the receiver play into this equation?

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
Are you are sending the S-video out from the DVD player to the receiver, and the S-video monitor out on the receiver to an INPUT on your TV? (This is fine to do)

or..

Are you sending a TV s-video output to the receiver TV/DBS s-video input? (This is the one you should avoid doing)

Anyway, have you looked at the settings on the TV for your audio problem?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
You may also only be able to use the speaker level outs from the TV if you turn the internal speakers OFF!!

Brent

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
man, i checked everything and can't figure it out! the tv has a VERY limited menu...the only adjustments i could make were to have the speakers "on" or "off" - neither trick worked

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not familiar with your receiver. it sounds like you can assign various inputs to particular buttons?

have you tried moving the connection from the tv/dbs to a different one (try cd). at least that way you'll know if it's a problem with that input.

maybe the tv isn't giving a fixed-level output (doubtful, but possible i guess). with the tv speakers set to "off", try cranking up the tv's volume. see if that makes any difference.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
glad it worked.

then your tv has what's called a "variable output".

try not to crank the tv volume too loud, otherwise you'll send a distorted signal to your receiver. i would say about 3/4 should be good.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
what exactly is a distorted signal? will that cause some sort of damage to the receiver, or just make the sound coming out of the speakers bad?

also - even with the tv volume 3/4 of the way up, i still have to turn the receiver up to around 20 or 15 below reference level (check me out, using the terminology!). i don't suppose there's any way to alter that, is there? i just hate to have it up that loud in case a roommate decides to switch to a CD without lowering the volume and gets blasted away cause it's so loud

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
A distorted signals won't damage your receiver, but it has the potential to damage your speakers (you'll know when it's distorted, because as you said the sound will be bad).

So if you crank the TV volume all the way up and you can't hear distortion, then it's fine.

I just make it a habit to turn down the volume before shutting down the receiver( for similar reasons to yours).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
So if you crank the TV volume all the way up and you can't hear distortion, then it's fine.
agreed. i should have said, "start around 3/4 and experiment...".

typically, most tv's start distorting somewhere around 3/4, but i wouldn't say it's a hard-fast rule.

if you can crank it all the way, and it still sounds fine, then go for it.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
quick question...

there's something wrong with the cable in my entire apartment complex. there are 2 specific channels that will sort of "feed back" when there is too much of the color white on the screen. it kind of makes this crappy, loud, hard to describe sound. i wonder if that sound is bad for my speakers...

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
I also have that problem, mostly on bad channels when text appears there's that sound you described.

Not really anything you can do, except turn down the volume(before changing onto any bad channels), or never watch those channels...

I don't think it's bad for the speakers if you listen at moderate volumes, I guess you can just be careful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks