What's new

Rogue Squadron 3-is anyone going to bother? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Is it even worth it anymore? I saw something about the preorder disc that mentioned the "hoth level". Is this to say that the game is just more of the same stuff that we've already seen? Is it worth coming back to the same material over and over again? How many times can you really do the "tripping AT-ATs on hoth" mission?

Don't get me wrong-I really like Star Wars, and some of the space combat games have been fantastic. Rogue Leader, X-Wing, and Tie Fighter have been great, but they've covered the territory of the films well enough. KOTOR showed us that an original star wars story can work (while Shadows of the Empire showed us how it doesn't), so how about an original space combat game? A game where you play as Wedge in the post-ROTJ universe? How about a shooter set in the KOTOR era?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
RS3 is actually a lot like Shadows of the Empire. You have foot missions, and then you have vehicle missions. For example, on Hoth, the mission starts out with you as Luke right after your snowspeeder is shot down, so you are on the ground and can even do the same things that Luke did in the movie (like use a grappling cable to shoot up to the bottom of an AT-AT and then slice it open and throw a thermal detonator inside).

Beyond that, they made up storyline points to add even more missions, plus all the missions from RS2:RL are available as multiplayer missions.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm just getting it for the free Star Wars Arcade Vector game disc.

Mike

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Is that mission disc going to be distributed like the Ocarina of Time bonus disc? It'd be great if it is - then I could pick up the bonus disc for $10, and have the option of picking up RS3. (I'm leaning towards against picking it up, for the reasons listed above.)

-Dave

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
After playing Freespace and Freespace 2, I found this series (Rogue Squadron/Leader) to be tedious and too arcadey... bring on Freespace 3. What an incredible series that was.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I'll get it for the atmosphere and to look at the pretty pictures. These types of games are fun to just pick up and play. I hope they tune the difficulty more and make beating the missions actually pose a challenge though (but loosen the requirements for gold medals a bit).

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I LOVE Star Wars(who in their 20's doesn't?) and I have absolutely zero interest in this game.

Yet another rehash...yet another reason to get rid of your Gamecube.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Yet another rehash...yet another reason to get rid of your Gamecube.
Yeah, let's all get rid of our Gamecubes. Screw all those AAA Nintendo titles, who needs em? The hell with the Metal Gear remake... who cares if some of us never played it, along with Resident Evil? We wouldn't want to expeirence those games for the first time in updated form. And this Rouge Squadron 3? Please, who hasn't ridden a speeder bike through Endour before? :rolleyes

NickC

Second Unit
Hell Yeah I am getting this, I already have it preordered, The demo disc should be at my house sometime soon.

It has the full Rogue Squadron 2 game with co-op, a brand new game with new features to the series, Factor 5 rocks, what isnb't to like about this one? The Graphics look amazing, the sound will be on-par or better then RS 2, new levels, new modes, new vehicles, looks like a winner.

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
So the entire RSII game is included on this? Great news, I never picked that one up. Looking forward to some 1982 SW action as well!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen anything indicating that RS2 will be on there. All I know is that the preview disc has a demo of RS2, RS3, and Gladius, as well as the '82 star wars game.

Might have to give this one a rent first-it could be fun (I can't remember the last time a game had a good Endor level), but if it plays anything like Shadows of the Empire, I'll have to pass.

NickC

Second Unit
Its has the complete version of Rouge Squadron 2 with CO-OP play, this has been confirmed, you can even see it in the game trailers and some pictures.

and for proof, this is from the offical press release,
"Multiplayer modes encompass co-op endurance, capture-the-base, challenging dogfights and more. In addition, the entire Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader game is available for play in cooperative multiplayer mode. The game also features a comprehensive reward system allowing players to unlock numerous bonus features including extra missions, vehicles, and locations."

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I want the designers to focus on the EXPANDED UNIVERSE for a fricken' change. You can only visit the same planets so many times before it gets boring.

Shooting down Yuzzahn Vohng ships should be a hoot....and giving animated life to characters who have only appeared on books and comics so far should be fun as well. Breathe new life in the franchise. Unfortunatly, Factor 5 has stated they are only going to concentrate on the classic trilogy. I loved the N64 and GC games. If this 3rd version dosn't live up to specs, I may skip the next one...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
the entire Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader game is available for play in cooperative multiplayer mode.
Its available *ONLY* with CO-OP play, which means you cannot play the original missions in single player. That was my understanding of this feature.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I want the designers to focus on the EXPANDED UNIVERSE for a fricken' change. You can only visit the same planets so many times before it gets boring.
Play Knights of the Old Republic. It's such a damn fine game.

Mike

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Someone on planetgamecube's forums said that on 9/5, Best Buy will be GIVING AWAY the bonus disc. I don't know how true that is, but it's something to inquire about.

Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I want the designers to focus on the EXPANDED UNIVERSE for a fricken' change. You can only visit the same planets so many times before it gets boring
To be honest, the Rogue Squadron games were always meant to focus on Luke and Wedge, and ONLY Luke and Wedge. In each game, you play as one or the other through missions that are made to go alongside the events in the films. Bringing in characters that only the most diehard fans of the expanded universe would know is against the original idea.

And besides, if you research this game, you'll see that they're doing things that they haven't done before (like taking a chicken walker on Endor as Chewbacca and ordering around a small army of Ewoks, or playing out the whole Leia rescue from ANH).

NickC

Second Unit
Whether or not you can play rogue squad 2 in single player isn't a big deal to me, as I own it, but if it is co-op only I'll still be impressed, RS2 didnt have this feature. Thumbs up to Factor 5 :emoji_thumbsup:.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
After playing the demo, I'm leaning towards waiting for a big price drop. Adding on foot missions was a huge mistake IMO, they can't compete with a game that specializes in them such as Jedi Academy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks