• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 JohnDR

JohnDR

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 10:32 AM

My friend and I both have the same JVC RX-774V in our homes. I have a JBL sub that is 8”, 100W (I believe). He does not have a sub, but as a best man gift, I purchased one for him.

The receiver has a subwoofer output on the back that is an RCA style jack. The instruction manual shows that you should hook up the sub to the receiver via that RCA connection. I have hooked it up via the speaker terminal input/outputs. When I hooked up the receiver to the sub using the RCA jack I get virtually no output at all. It’s almost impossible to hear anything. I thought it might be my subwoofer, so I tried out the new sub I purchased for my friend and get the same results. If I hook it up via the RCA jack, I get virtually no output. However, if I hook it up via the speaker input/outputs, I get the expected bass out of it.

I thought maybe my receiver had a problem, so I hooked them both up to his. I get the exact same result when I do that as well. I’ve looked through the instruction manual and can’t find anything about an on/off setting for the subwoofer. I’m not sure really what to do next, but I am confident I’ve missed something.

Any suggestions you could give would really be beneficial. I’m lost on this one.

Thanks,

John

#2 of 10 ColinM

ColinM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 02:36 PM

Somewhere, there should be a setting for speaker types. Also, several variations of sub setup should be available. If you can set all of the speakers to small, I'd expect the sub out to be automatically active. Otherwise there HAS to be a menu option for sub setup somewhere.

Also check the sub output trim, usually -10 to +10. Plop that right in the middle, zero. There may also be an LFE trim. Put that somewhere in the middle range, but it may require tweaking. Also check for a "bass limiter", and make sure it's off for now.

Other than that, I'll assume you have the crossover on the sub all the way "open", and the sub's volume knob should not be closed down. Play some music and open up the volume knob and see what happens.

If nothing works, I'm out of ideas....Good Luck!
You call that a knife?

#3 of 10 ColinM

ColinM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 02:51 PM

http://books.jvcserv....9953/17859.pdf

That is a difficult manual to read - - and no mention of sub level trim.

You are using the L/R analog audio outs of the DVD player to feed the receiver?
You call that a knife?

#4 of 10 JohnDR

JohnDR

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for the replys so far. Let me add some more info that might help. On my system, I have the sub hooked up by the left and right front audio outpus. The sub then passes through the sound it doesn't need and those go on to two large KLH speakers. On the back of the sub is a Volume/Gain know I guess. If you turn it up, the volume of the sub gets louder. There are two RCA inputs on the back of the sub, but only one output on my receiver. My center speaker is small and so are the rear speakers. I guess that could be causing a problem but I'm not sure. I'm no expert on the overall setup. I do know that I don't get the theater style sound that I would like to have from it. My front speakers can handle up to 350W, the rears up to 100W and the center up to 50W (I think).

On my friends system, he has the same receiver but his sub has a phase, volume and another knob that I can't recall right now. The sub is a KLH I believe. He also has two RCA inputs but the instructions say to use the left one as the right one is not hooked up. Kind of a strange thing to put in the instruction manual. His speakers are all small. They are from JBL I think. I believe all five of his are 100W capacity speakers.

I don't run the audio through the DVD player and neither does he. We both have the DVD audio out coming to the receiver and that's it. I'm not sure if this helps you or not.

One final piece of info. Here is my equipment. I can't give you all of his because it's buried in my garage right now.

My system
Receiver - JVC RX-774V
DVD - Pioneer DV-F727
Tivo recorder
Front speakers - KLH AV55 8-ohms, 350W max
Rear speakers - KLH-911B, 8 ohms, 100W I believe
Center speaker = JBL 125SAT, unknown ohms and power - this came as part of a set, 5 speakers and my sub. I don't think the speakers sound good, but I got the typical sales man selling it to me where they crank up the volume.

My friends system
Receiver - JVC RX-774V
DVD - unknown, possibly RCA
Front, rear and center speakers - JBL SAT-10S
Current sub is non powered JBL
New sub - KLH ASW10-125C

Thanks again for the help everyone. If you can give me any suggestions on ways to make mine sound better as well, I'm open to them.

#5 of 10 brentl

brentl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 02:46 AM

Which are you planning on using the RCA inputs or the speaker level??

If you are using the RCAs, somewhere in the surround setup menus on your receiver there will be a level control for all of your speakers .... left,center,right,left surround,right surround and subwoofer. If you do NOT have a subwoofer level control showing up look for a subwoofer YES/NO switch somwhere in the menus, Turn it on and adjust the volume.

You will probably need to set the front l/r and the center speaker to SMALL too.

If you are going to use the speaker level inputs leave it the way it is, turn down the crossover 80hz or below, and play with the volume control until it sounds good.

Brent

#6 of 10 ColinM

ColinM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 03:05 AM

This is an older Pro Logic system, right?

It may be severely limited in function...
You call that a knife?

#7 of 10 JohnDR

JohnDR

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 09:24 AM

The receiver is probably 4 to 5 years old I'm guessing. I know they don't even list it on the JVC site.

I definately want to try the RCA jack and I will look through the menu to see if I can find something that will work. Currently I'm using the speaker level inputs and if I can't find anything in the menu, I'll continue to use the speaker level inputs on my system and my friends.

#8 of 10 brentl

brentl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 12:37 PM

I'd stick with that and call it a day.

Brent

#9 of 10 rocketnater

rocketnater

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 03:01 PM

I also have the JVC RX-744V! I am kind of running into the same problem as you. I have 2 JBL TLX171 floor-standing speakers as my front left and right. I have 1 JBL sattelite center speaker. And I have 1 Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer. I currently use the subwoofer-out on the receiver to the line-level input on the subwoofer. The problem is, the woofer in the floor-standing speakers are much louder and is dominating the subwoofer. The subwoofer's bass is somewhat small and almost diminished by the JBL's woofers. What I have done is looked through the entire on-screen menu of the receiver and there is absolutely no settings or options for subwoofer. Theres not even a setting to select wether you have small or large front speakers. I found that you can only change the speaker size of the center speaker. Do you think that use speaker-level input/output connection for the subwoofer will fix this problem?

#10 of 10 rocketnater

rocketnater

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 03:02 PM

Sorry, meant RX-774V lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users