Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can I play R2 DVD now on my New TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Mikey_B

Mikey_B

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 04:00 AM

I just bought a Hitatchi 51s500 TV and a new PS Phillips DVd player. The DVD player had a remote code to set the region to 0.

Will my setup allow me to play the PAL DVD's from R2? I want to get Superman II because it has dd 5.1

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 04:20 AM

Almost for sure, no. However if that Phillips DVD player has an internal PAL to NTSC conversion provision, then yes, or if the Hitatchi will display PAL (very unlikely), then also yes.

There are DVD players that do the conversion. I am unfamiliar with that particular model, but if the manual does not specifically state that it does the conversion, there is almost no chance that it does.

Most PAL TVs will display NTSC, but almost no NTSC TVs will display PAL (and again that will be a feature that the manual will cite).
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 04:24 AM

Just about the only displays distributed to the U.S. that can do PAL (that I know of) are those imported by Sampo. And that was on the first units the company shipped here a couple of years ago.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Mikey_B

Mikey_B

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 04:32 AM

Yeah, I don't think this DVD player converts it does say NTSC / PAL but doesn't convert

http://www.consumer.....6at_us_lft.pdf

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Anthony*B

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 05:30 AM

both the Cyberhome 500 and the Malat (not sure which one) will do all region (a common thing actually), and most importantly, those 2 (the CH500 does for sure) both do proper anamorphic conversion from PAL to NTSC (im guessing that Superman DVD is probably anamorphic)...good luck finding them though Posted Image...my CH500 is invaluable to me for foreign DVD's (only way to see Ichi the Killer uncut/anamorphic at this point...worth it for that alone hehe) Posted Image

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Anthony*B

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 05:32 AM

oops, I mean Malata (that one has X-Y scaling too, which I would LOVE to have..

both the Cyberhome 500 and the Malat (not sure which one) will do all region (a common thing actually), and most importantly, those 2 (the CH500 does for sure) both do proper anamorphic conversion from PAL to NTSC (im guessing that Superman DVD is probably anamorphic)...good luck finding them though Posted Image...my CH500 is invaluable to me for foreign DVD's (only way to see Ichi the Killer uncut/anamorphic at this point...worth it for that alone hehe) Posted Image