Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Really irritating problem on the Silence of the Lambs and Terminator Sp Eds

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Richard Hardbattle

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 06:39 AM

Really irritating problem on the Silence of the Lambs and Terminator Sp Eds Both of these MGM discs have already released in the UK. From what I can tell, Region 1 will be exactly the same discs. In which case, you guys are gonna be fuming.... On both discs, they have removed all text in the film, and replaced it with a subtitle equivalent that is produced by your dvd player. For example, in Silence of the Lambs, all of the place names in that rather cool font have been removed, and instead you get massive block capital subtitles. This is only a minor irritation compared to what they have done with the Terminator.... The whole introduction to the film, you know, the whole screen of text, is now reproduced, one line at a time, over the start of the future war sequence...... again, massive block caps etc. Has anybody else found this to be a pain in the ass!!!! I think this is so MGM can release the disc in other, non English speaking areas, and still use the same pressing. What do you guys think? Isn't this amending what the director would have wanted? Rich

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 06:43 AM

MGM is known for this. They ahve done thsi on a dozen other titles so far (originally Spinal Tap was to be released with no subtitles until a HTF member with an advanced review copy pointed out the error)

Thought I'm pretty sure it was stated by Van Ling at somepoint that the region 1 Terminator disc would have the original titles.

I've never actually seen a quote from him- but have seen other mention it.

I'm not at all suprised that MGM did this to Silence of the Lambs.

Again- MGM is known for this. Search MGM and subtitles- you'll probably see it mentioned a dozen time!

-Vince

------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper

Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on August 16, 2001 at 09:45 AM]
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,547 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 06:46 AM

The Digital Bits said that they specifically asked MGM about this issue, and MGM said that the Region 1 Terminator would not have the player generated subtitles.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 06:48 AM

According to the review of the R1 version at DVDfile, it does NOT substitute player generated sub for the original burned in titles. Thank goodness.

------------------
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 06:48 AM

For region 1, I believe both the Terminator and SOTL have the original burned in subs. DVDFile has a review of SOTL, and they don't mention anything about player generated subs.

By the way, I noticed a local store selling the MGM SOTL, but it was only availible in pan n scan only. Posted Image

[Edited last by Richard Kim on August 16, 2001 at 09:50 AM]

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   DannyS

DannyS

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 06:56 AM

It's only available in anamorphic 1:85.1 here in the UK ------------------ Panasonic TX-21M2T TV Sony DVP 536 Old Panasonic Stereo! :-) [Edited last by DannyS on August 16, 2001 at 09:57 AM]
even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

My DVD collection

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   YANG

YANG

Second Unit

• 482 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 07:11 AM

AUSTRALIA's consumers are now fuming over a MGM release,ROCKY...which gives lots of playback problem.
http://www.dvdbits.com/index.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users