Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Need Movie Recommendations For Very Religious Person

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#1 of 115 OFFLINE   James Edward

James Edward

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 06:54 PM

We're having someone over for dinner and a movie on Friday.
I'm looking for some adult recommendations that don't have a lot of curse words and sex scenes. They don't need to be children's films, and I would prefer them to be no more than 1-2 years old

To give you an idea, she's been over twice before and has seen U-571 and The Matrix. Great sound and picture is a necessity. For example, LOTR-TTT is on my list of possibilities, but at 3 hours might just be too long for a dinner guest.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

#2 of 115 OFFLINE   StevenFC

StevenFC

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 08:49 PM

Shadowlands or The Apostle would be my recommendation. Both are in my DVD list if you need a brief description.
Steve's DVDs

The spammers motto: I stink, therefore I spam.

#3 of 115 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 08:54 PM

If you're willing to go to an older film, I'm sure they will find "A Man for All Seasons" to be absolutely wonderful.

#4 of 115 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 27 2003 - 09:07 PM

Frequency might be a good choice. The DVD is fine picture-wise, but the content of the film doesn't make it ideal for demo material if that's part of your goal.

If you haven't seen the film, it's sort of a murder mystery with a strong family element to it. I don't remember strong language, nudity, drug use, or anything like that. There is some violence, but it certainly wouldn't be more than what you would find in the Matrix, and probably not more than an average cop show on TV.

Maybe the Patriot, though that one approaches 3 hours. It's been a while, but it might be closer to two-and-a-half hours.

Signs and Unbreakable are others I might recommend, though Unbreakable does seem to fall into the "love it or hate it" category. Some find it too slow. Signs might be a good choice, as it has a strong element of religious faith to it.

All of those are just a distraction, though, from my main recommendation. I really hope you'll consider giving Frequency a go if online summaries interest you. It's really an under-appreciated little gem, as far as I'm concerned.

#5 of 115 OFFLINE   Simon Basso

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 09:22 PM

Rabbit-Proof Fence. It's short, completely inoffensive, well-made and has an excellent music-based soundtrack. It's also a fine film.

#6 of 115 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 10:10 PM

I think Frequency would indeed be an excellent choice.
E-Mail | Collection

#7 of 115 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 12:23 AM

While Frequency is a good choice, Signs is an excellent film dealing with religion and faith. If you/they have never seen Signs, this is a must. It has a great, almost Hitchcockian horror story (not religious, more sci-fi) interwoven with the real message, which is about faith. Also, the picture on Signs is above average (not reference, but good) and the soundtrack has great subtle effects as well as some genuinely scary moments.

#8 of 115 OFFLINE   derek

derek

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 12:34 AM

Check out www.screenit.com . Excellent resource to examine all the possibly objectionable content. BTW I was disappointed in U571 as it had alot of GDs. As for some new recommendations Signs, 20000 Leagues under the Sea, LOTR or TTT, The Rookie, Spider Man, Disney fare (Treasure Planet), Jurassics Parks, Xmen, Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron, Star Trek:Nemesis, Star Wars EP1&2 for a few.
Blockbuster.com has a decent 100 family films recommendation at
http://www.blockbust....T-710,00.html?

#9 of 115 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 12:37 AM

I would reccommend the G-Rated The Straight Story.

It's quite a feat nowadays to find a G-rated film that's not geared towards children. It's a fine film and you won't cringe in front of your guests once, guarenteed!

You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#10 of 115 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 28 2003 - 12:37 AM

The General (Buster Keaton).

#11 of 115 OFFLINE   James Edward

James Edward

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 12:48 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions.

and you won't cringe in front of your guests once, guarenteed!

Exactly. I'm probably the one being overly prudish, but I myself want to be able to relax and enjoy. I'll give her a choice of the above, and see what she wants to watch.

Thanks again.
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

#12 of 115 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 01:54 AM

Anything from Paul Thomas Anderson...

#13 of 115 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 02:01 AM

Quote:
Anything from Paul Thomas Anderson...

Is this a joke?

#14 of 115 OFFLINE   Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 02:10 AM

Anything by Kevin Smith, especially Dogma! Posted Image

#15 of 115 OFFLINE   chris rick

chris rick

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 02:33 AM

The Last Temptation of Christ--and I mean that sincerely. For anyone who is truly "religious" this film represents one of the best explanations of Christ's life and how we can relate to it as individuals.
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: HARPUA65

#16 of 115 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 28 2003 - 02:52 AM

The Winslow Boy or The Spanish Prisoner. Surprisingly, both of these David Mamet-directed films have no bad language, nudity or violence, and I have very religious friends who loved them.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 115 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 03:55 AM

I agree with Chris as to The Last Temptation of Christ, but be forewarned that many Christians feel (incorrectly in my view) that this is an heretical work.

If your guests would be amenable to a silent film, The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the greatest films ever made on any subject. The same director also made another highly recommended film, Ordet—this is a film almost solely concerned with religion and man’s relation to God.

For non-Christian religious films you might check out Kundun, about the search for and coming of age of a new Dalai Lama
¡Time is not my master!

#18 of 115 OFFLINE   TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 04:29 AM

Signs

#19 of 115 OFFLINE   Steven Good

Steven Good

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 04:56 AM

Hmmm, I supppose Life of Brian shouldn't be on the list...Posted Image
Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

#20 of 115 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 05:06 AM

Quote:
For non-Christian religious films you might check out Kundun, about the search for and coming of age of a new Dalai Lama

Which many hardcore Christians consider to be a pagan leader. I'd say no-go

Go for Contact, at least that one fights both sides pretty well

Forum Nav Content I Follow