Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung 931 and Toshiba RPTV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 27 2003 - 05:58 PM

I decided to give the DVI-enabled DVD players a try and received the Samsung today. The picture is impressive in 1080i and a marked improvement from the 480p experience. However, I'm noticing some overscanning issues. I know my Toshiba's overscan is already off because I've never seen black bars with 1.85 material. Watching movies with the Samsung in 1080i, there is a slight horizontal stretching of the image and the vertical positioning is slightly below center. I put in the THX 16:9 frame and verified the problems. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm guessing the existing overscan issue is exacerbated by whatever peculiarities of the Samsung HD upconversion. When I get the Bravo D1 I'll see if the same occurs. The picture IS amazing and it is tempting to hold onto it despite the overscan issues. Suggestions?
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com