Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Daddy's Fully Wired!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 03:57 PM

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update as I had originally posted a few weeks ago that I was moving the Monster stuff out and the Heartland Cables stuff in. Just finished hooking everything up tonight, and it all works like a champ. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I did see a noticeable improvement from my satellite receiver. I have a Samsung SIR-S75 with component out running through my 45TX and then into a Tosh 51" HD RPTV. Now, I've always been, and still am, a big proponent of running things straight into the Display, but even with the pitstop at the 45TX I have noticed a better picture from my satellite. Here's what I notice: 1. Less pixelation in the signal (e.g. HBO), and 2. Brighter colors, as in skin tones look how skin tones should look, and overall PQ jumps a little more. I can say, without reservation, that these improvements are due to the cables, as everything else has been kept constant. Also, popped in a DVD, and the picture looked very good. Is it better than the Monster picture? That's a little harder to say, haven't watched that many DVD's with the new cables yet. Also, need to do a little more listening to DVD soundtracks and multi-channel audio to provide updates there as well. So, I would say that there is some merit in using these type(s) of cables in your system. The component cables are Canare L-5CFB from www.heartlandcables.com. I would imagine that some of the other online retailers (BlueJeans, Rhino, etc.) would also provide similar differences as they use similar quality cable. I must say that Dan Kaps from Heartland provides a very well constructed cable with some nice construction features, and top-notch customer service.
DJ_JonnyV

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Mika-H

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 11:58 PM

[quote] I can say, without reservation, that these improvements are due to the cables [quote]

Your previous cables must have been defective Posted Image

I'd be real curious to know the theory behind how an analog cable placed AFTER the digital component can cause a change that is due to digital encoding/decoding (i.e. the reduction in pixelation you claim).

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Rich

Mark Rich

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 05:21 AM

Jon, Glad to hear your new cables worked out. I noticed a significant improvement when I replaced the freshly installed cable provided by the local cable company with belden 1694a. The broadcast cables, sold by the custom cable makers you mentioned offer very high levels of performance for the dollar. A bonus is they will last you through many component upgrades over the coming years. Enjoy
"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 01:55 PM

[quote] analog cable placed AFTER the digital component can cause a change that is due to digital encoding/decoding (i.e. the reduction in pixelation you claim). [quote]

Some artifacts are due to the de-interlacing/3:2 pulldown, then up-conversion done by the circuitry in the HDTV. This might be what he is seeing, but he admits that the difference is slight.

A better test would be with a 720/1080 source and the two cables. I believe this might show a greater difference.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 03:59 PM

Actually, I mentioned the difference is a little more than slight from the satellite receiver. I said it is a noticeable difference on this signal. Now, I can't explain all the technical ramifications involved, so before you guys start going down that path, let me say this: I know what I saw, and that was a better picture using the Heartland Cables than my old Monster cables. I saw the dang picture everyday using the Monster cables and the pixelation that was present. I thought it was probably due to the satellite signal itself. But, after switching cables and turning on HBO (the channel that I noticed the pixelation on the most), the pixelation was not as bad. Can I explain this from a technical standpoint? Hell and No. But, my eyes don't lie to me, and I know what I see.
DJ_JonnyV

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted August 31 2003 - 03:15 PM

Ihave the very same DSS and with my Rhino cables I could tell a huge differnce on my 43 in HDTV.

MY DVD'S

May the Force be with you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users