What's new

Documentaries On Film-Makers On DVD's (1 Viewer)

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
The one's I have are:

Battle Over Citizen Kane
On the R1 Citizen Kane DVD
Preston Sturges: The Life And Death Of An American Dreamer
On the Sullivans Travels Criterion DVD

And that's it. Only two. I really wish Warner Brothers put the whole Sergio Leone one on Once Upon A Time In America. I would die to see a Seijun Suzuki one on a future DVD too! I love these type of extras and if I'm interested in a film, they usually push me into a purchase, as the one on Criterions Tokyo Story will do. Anybody got any others please? Thanks!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Another good one that I hope they'll include one day on the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs is the A&E Biography on George Lucas from 2002. That was a pretty good 2-hour documentary on Lucas' life and career, with some rare behind-the-scenes footage from the Star Wars and Indiana Jones film series.

But if there's one documentary that deserves a DVD release, it's "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse", the chronicle of the making of Apocalypse Now. It's been on VHS before (don't know about laserdisc), but it definitely needs a DVD release as an excellent companion piece.

And as for JFK, the companion documentary "Beyond JFK: The Question of Conspiracy" will be included in the 2-disc SE reissue of JFK later this year, according to today's news on The Digital Bits. Interesting footage on the making of the film and interviews with some of the real-life people involved in the case, including Jim Garrison's final interview in his deathbed just prior to his passing.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I dream of getting Hearts Of Darkness!! I've never seen it but Apocalypse Now is one of my favourite films! I saw the VHS on sale about a year or so ago and was gonna get it but I figured it would be on the Apocalypse Now Redux DVD :frowning:

Derek_McL

Second Unit
I have the following : the excellent Preston Sturges profile Earl mentioned on the Criterion Sullivan's Travels DVD and a grainy but very informative one of Erich Von Stroheim on the new Kino Foolish Wives. Also more up to date material with Clint Eastwood : Out of the Shadows which was originally a BBC Omnibus special on a few Christmases ago.

I can think of a few other film-maker documentaries available to fans of classic
films ; maybe someday I'll add some of these to my collection, any comments on the DVDs would be useful :

Just profiles :

Fritz Lang : Circle of Destiny : concentrates on his German films ; some content might be duplicated in the Metropolis and upcoming M special edition in R2 which means I'll probably give this a miss.

A Talk with Hitchcock : probably my favourite director ; has anyone got this, does it add anything to those excellent docs on the Universal DVDs ?

John Ford's American West : available in R2 but if it uses the same masters as the VHS likely to be disappointing even though it includes interviews with John Wayne, Henry Fonda and James Stewart. If only they would release the doc the late Lindsay Anderson did on Ford a few years ago ?

On Cukor : intriguing doc on the greatest director of women in Hollywood history.

Profiles and films :

The Love Trap / Directed by William Wyler

The Matinee Idol / Frank Capra's American Dream : I remember seeing the profile of Capra (another of my favourite directors) a few years ago probably just after his death back in 1991 and its excellent ; the feature is an early Columbia silent which has had glowing reviews about the transfer quality.

Coming soon will be a profile of John Huston on the new Treasure of the Sierra Madre DVD and the new Charlie Chaplin documentary from Richard Schickel will feature in the boxsets soon to be available in R2.

Director profiles I'd love to see on DVD :

D.W. Griffith : Father of Film : a three part study of the great pioneering director by Kevin Brownlow / David Gill

Unknown Chaplin : precious out-takes and cut scenes from Chaplin films : once again Brownlow/Gill

Buster Keaton - A Hard Act to Follow : yes you guessed it : Brownlow/Gill

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
A Talk with Hitchcock : probably my favourite director ; has anyone got this, does it add anything to those excellent docs on the Universal DVDs ?
I have this DVD. It has an interview with Hitchcock that was shot for television in the 60s. It does include a few B&W clips from his movies. I think the interview clips featured in the documentary Dial H for Hitchcock (shown often on AMC and TCM) are more interesting (especially Hitch explaining the concept of the "MacGuffin").

-D

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Stanley Kubrick: A Life In Pictures (part of the Kubrick box set)

Sam Peckinpah: Man Of Iron (on Criterion's Straw Dogs)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Here are the ones from my collection:

[Michelangelo] Antonioni: Documents and Testimonials, on Criterion's L'Avventura
Ingmar Bergman on Life and Work (Jörn Donner), on Criterion's Wild Strawberries
Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie (Vilgot Sjöman/1961), in Criterion's A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman box set
A propósito de Buñuel/Speaking of Buñuel (López-Linares & Rioyo/2000) on Criterion's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Jean Cocteau: Autoportrait d'un Inconnu/Autobiography of an Unknown (Edgardo Cozarinsky/1984) on Criterion's The Blood of a Poet (in The Orphic Trilogy box set)
Dennis Potter: Under the Skin, in BBC Video's The Singing Detective box set
That's Life: Vittorio De Sica (2001) on Criterion's Umberto D.
Carl Th. Dreyer--My Metier (Jensen/1995), in Criterion's Carl Theodore Dreyer box set
Krzysztof Kieslowski: I'm so-so (Krzysztof Wierzbicki/1995), in Infinity's (Korea) Dekalog box set
The Art of Stanley Kubrick from Short Films to Strangelove, on Columbia TriStar's Dr. Strangelove
Guy Maddin: Waiting for Twilight (Noam Gonick/1997), on Kino's release of Careful
Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron (Paul Joyce/1992), in Criterion's Straw Dogs box set
Behind the Mirror: A Profile of Douglas Sirk (1979), on Criterion's release of All That Heaven Allows
Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer (Kenneth Bowser/1990), on Criterion's release of Sullivan's Travels
The Battle Over Citizen Kane (Michael Epstein/1995), in Warner's Citizen Kane SE
The multitude of interviews, features, etc about François Truffaut in Criterion's The Adventures of Antoine Doinel box set

I'm looking forward to:

I Lived, But . . .: The Life and Works of Yasujiro Ozu (Kazuo Inoue/1983) on Criterion's upcoming release of Tokyo Story

Some I would love to have on DVD:

One Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenevitch [Tarkovsky] (Chris Marker/2000)
A.K. [Akira Kurosawa] (Chris Marker/1985)
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (Eleanor Coppola, et al./1991)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There's a whole series of a dozen or so DVDs called The Directors that was put out by Fox Lorber that has (generally pretty good) profiles on a wide array of directors of modern times, with generous clips (though not always in the best condition).

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
My personal favorite is "Constellation Jodorowsky" on Fantoma's Fando and Lis DVD. After a retrospective of his career in films and comics, Alejandro Jodorowsky turns the tables on the documentarian, and uses his "psycho-magic" on him to create an emotional breakthrough... You don't see that very often!

Jerome

Second Unit
Another good one that I hope they'll include one day on the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs is the A&E Biography on George Lucas from 2002. That was a pretty good 2-hour documentary on Lucas' life and career, with some rare behind-the-scenes footage from the Star Wars and Indiana Jones film series.
It has just been released in Japan. I'm waiting for the DVD next Week.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Is The "Unknown Chaplin" rumored for release? After watching Warners Box set, I got a real itching to see this. I've only seen clips from when it played on PBs, and would love to own it.

the Kubrick one is very good. I plan on checking out "Lost in Lamancha" on Terry Gilliams folly this weekend.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already in Japan? Man, what I would give to get this baby here in the U.S. for my collection! :)

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
HBO shows the Kubrick documentary every now and then. I just saw it three weeks ago.

-Reagan

Jerome

Second Unit
For France, it is something like $10. SO I think it is the same for England.

I received the DVD in 5 days. The Program has two tracks (japanese and english). No subtitles.

It lenghts 90'.

A very interesting documentary and George Lucas even talks about The failure of Howard the Duck !!!!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
But if there's one documentary that deserves a DVD release, it's "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse", the chronicle of the making of Apocalypse Now. It's been on VHS before (don't know about laserdisc), but it definitely needs a DVD release as an excellent companion piece.
Great documentary, but will probably never be released - the inclusion of the platation scene in Redux killed HoD, since we hear Coppola saying that the scene was awful and we should preetend it never existed.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The Kubrick documentary is brilliant - love that one.

Isn't there a documentary on Chaplin being released with the Chaplin box set over in r2? Like to see that.

Runar_R

Second Unit
Not sure if it's exactly the type of documentary you mean, but "A personal journey with Martin Scorcese" is a terrific dvd. Over 3 hours of Martin talking about movies that have inspired him, and why.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks