Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Just got an X1: impressions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Josh~H

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 03:30 AM

I posted a more complete set of impressions on avsforum, but here's a summary:

- DVD looks better than it does on my Tosh 42H81.
- HDTV looks very good (not as detailed as the Tosh, but subjectively better)
- Homeade blackout screen ($30) works great, so I can delay the purchase of a prefabricated screen for a while
- Brightness was impressive: still viewable with the dimmer-switch set to 1/2.
- Power cord: terrible piece of crap that should never have been shipped with the X1. It becomes disloged with the slightest jostling.
- Rainbows: I've seen a couple, but they don't stress me out.
- Other: I felt slightly queasy after watching it...I don't know if this is just getting used to the large screen, a side-effect of the rainbows, or the fact that I didn't eat dinner yesterday. Posted Image

I'll have more impressions as I watch with more scrutiny. I plan on watching The Two Towers in the next couple of days, and I'll watch the picture with extra scrutiny. I'll also watch my first HD football game this weekend -- this is the "other" big test next to DVD watching that my X1 must pass.

By the way I'm projecting a 94" diagonal image, the projector is set to 16:9 mode, and it's projecting on a 98" 16:9 screen. I'm sitting about 11 feet away, and couldn't see screendoor until I was around 7-ft away.