-

Photo
- - - - -

MANHUNT is coming soon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 03:40 PM

IGN reports it will be out for PS2 in late October.

You have to allow a pop-up from here: http://www.rockstargames.com/manhunt/

to get to this fake site with some small clips:
http://www.valiant-ent.tv/

Here is a story about the game with some pictures from IGN:
http://ps2.ign.com/a...4/434963p1.html

It looks fun to me, but I hope parents are smart about deciding whether or not to let kids play it.

Anyone have more info?

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 04:42 AM

Quote:
It looks fun to me, but I hope parents are smart about deciding whether or not to let kids play it.

The game will be rated 'M', so kids really shouldn't be dabbling with this title (even if accompanied by a parent/adult Posted Image )

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   dave_brogli

dave_brogli

Screenwriter

• 1,022 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 10:27 AM

damn walmart still cards me for every M game I get. (yeah im 24 and look it)

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 03:57 AM

The game seems to be coming along nicely. Here are some gameplay impressions from the folks at IGN:
http://ps2.ign.com/a...7/457253p1.html

I think I may enjoy this game. I'm looking forward to winter vacation so I actually have time to play some games again!

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Peter_A

Peter_A

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 01:54 PM

This one game is the reason I'm going to buy a PS2 again and not an Xbox.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 04:49 PM

Well, for the few of us that seem interested, it sounds good. IGN gives it an 8.5. I think I'll pass on XIII for now and pick up Manhunt and Prince of Persia for Christmas.

Link:
http://ps2.ign.com/a...0/440887p1.html
Manhunt is all sorts of things -- an idea about control and the lack of it; about the diminishing sense of identity in our growing world of high-level security; about the rampant level of violence in our culture, and the sick dependence we have for seeing said violence on TV. Yes, it's about all sorts of things. Yes, indeed. But the core of Manhunt is about listening. Listening, reacting to your environment, and adapting. It's essentially the jail-bound, drug-taking step-child to the TV show Survivor, except you're not kicked off the island. You're hunted down and bludgeoned to death -- for fun, entertainment and, because in some strange way, it's sexy.

Take note, because the things you have heard are correct. Manhunt is bloody, violent and sick. It's M rated because of its graphic depictions of decapitations -- death by crowbar to the face, wire chokes and machete hackings. But also because it reaches into the wasteland of human life and returns with a quivering piece of rotting meat and makes you taste it. You may have seen this kind of thing in movies, anime or the like, but no videogames to date have gone as far as Rockstar's Manhunt.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   JasonKrol

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor

• 507 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 07:47 AM

i just got my copy today a lunch, along with CounterStrike for Xbox.

I havent had a change to try it yet, but I cant wait. IGN also said its good for 20-30 hours of play, plus more because of the unlockable bonuses!

Woohoo!! Posted Image

-Jason

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 12:53 PM

Im shocked that this game isnt getting a lot more hype and attention than it has been getting...

I really dont know if I should buy it or not... I really want to, but I am afraid I may not like it... I hear it is not very action oriented, more just sneaking around.

I miss the good old days when you could return an open video game if you didnt like it...

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   JayF

JayF

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 09:47 AM

Is nobody playing this? I bought this right before Thanksgiving and have been hooked ever since. The atmosphere is great... it's a tight, intense game. I'm nearly done which makes it one of the few games I've ever played all the way though until the end.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 10:57 AM

If I don't get it for Christmas, I will probably buy it myself.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Peter_A

Peter_A

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 02:05 PM

I just returned the rental, 3 days overdue. Great game and like mentioned the atmosphere is great! I'm thinking of going to rent it again. :b

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 04:54 PM

Well, I did play the game and played it all the way through. I thought the game was pretty good, but it was a challenge. Some of the levels I thought were great. Very creepy and better then many horror movies. A couple boring levels for me, but the good outweighs the bad. A few levels I thought were too difficult (one took me 40 times to pass), but I guess thats all part of the challenge. Another thing I was used to was just running out with a weapon and shooting or hacking (was used to other games). You must take your time in the game. It's not like you can just run out. I thought that was a good thing about this game because it was different than what I am used to. I had to have plenty of patience.

The game is definately not for someone who cant handle violence and is pretty disturbing when thought about.

I also would have liked a better ending after all the work.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 06:19 PM

Good to hear. I figured that I will have to take my time with this game.

About the ending, how bad is it? Very few games, in my experience, have satisfying endings. It doesn't sound like it ruined it for you.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 06:35 PM

Chris,

I agree. I am not very satisfied with most video game endings. They just seem too bla and pointless for something video gamers work at what seems forever completing. One of the reasons I dont play tons of video games. They seem like more of a job to me.

The ending to Manhunt is not horrible. It just ends out of nowhere IMO. It is too quick and seems like it was just thrown there at the last minute due to some deadline. It seems like it lasts all of 5 seconds.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 03:03 AM

Rockstar sure likes to push the envelope.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 07:34 AM

Well, I have about 6 hours of gameplay under my belt now and this game is the most violent game I have ever seen. It is difficult at times, but I am feeling more comfortable with the controls now. I wish the game had crouch and jump features. Perhaps they could tweak the gameplay for the next instalment, but somehow I doubt there will be a sequel to this game. From what I have heard, sales have been low and the publicity hasn't been great.

Time to go back for more!

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 05:24 AM

I rented it and played it for a bit but I just couldn't get into it. It seemed to be very repetitive. Get from point a to point b, kill guards, continue on to point c. There just wasn't any real draw for me. That and for a game that encourages stealth, it sure was hard to stay hidden as compared to the likes of Hitman, Splinter Cell, and MGS.
I agree though, it sure is one gruesome game.
Regards,
Dave

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 05:49 AM

I'm somewhat relieved sales haven't been at a GTA level. We certainly don't need the media harping on this.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
This one game is the reason I'm going to buy a PS2 again and not an Xbox.

It appears that this game is coming to XBOX.

http://xbox.ign.com/...6/446662p1.html

Later, Rick
Why should people go out and pay to see bad movies when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing? -Sam Goldwyn.

Forum Nav Content I Follow