-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Basic HDTV Hookup Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 DaveSp

DaveSp

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 12:21 PM

Based on reviews I've read here I've been looking online at the the Toshiba 51H83 HDTV. I've been reading as much info as I can (I'm a newbie), including the FAQ and the downloadable user manual from Toshiba's site. But some basic setup for HDTV is still unclear to me. My prime interest is using a progressive DVD player and that hookup I understand. Just what additional is needed to connect a monitor like this to cable TV? The BestBuy ad says:

- Standard-definition, enhanced-definition and high-definition digital television monitors require an optional set-top box to decode over-the-air digital TV broadcasts

This first question applies to standard TV signals, not HDTV. The user manual shows a direct hookup to either a coax antenna cable or a "converter box". I would have thought a receiver of some sort is necessary (VCR works?).

For HDTV, I understand that converter/receiver of some form is necessary. I have Comcast here in Seattle - if they offer HDTV signal support, would they also offer any necessary in-line receiver/converter?

Sorry for the seemingly dumb questions - I'm trying to get a handle on what the bare necessities are.

Dave Sparks

#2 of 7 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 01:42 PM

The TV comes with a standard NTSC tuner built in. This will allow you to receive standard TV cable or antenna throught the coax input. The Best buy info is misleading, you only need a separate box for HDTV.

Comcast will supply you with an HDTV converter (probably a Motorola DTC 5100) which will decode analog and digital standard TV as well as HDTV signals from the cable company, so you can hook it up to your component inputs and not have to change inputs for standard vs. HDTV.

#3 of 7 DaveSp

DaveSp

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 01:54 PM

Jeff -

Thanks, I suspected that may be the case.

To be honest, I have taken great pains to avoid talking to an in-house BestBuy salesperson. My intent has been to do on-line brand & model research and go in (there or somewhere else) and say I want that, that, and that - and nothing else! Maybe that's being unfair to them.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Dave

#4 of 7 Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 02:50 PM

Quote:
you only need a separate box for HDTV.

Well, in my neighborhood, you need a cable box to receive digital channels as well. It all depends on your cable company.

Also, make sure your cable provider brings you an HD cable box. You have to specifically request it with my carrier.

#5 of 7 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 12:08 AM

Dave,

You are right. You do need a separate box to receive digital cable or pay channels. But DaveSp was under the assumption that the TV came with no tuner whatsoever, which is definately untrue. Reading through his post again, the Best Buy info said he needed a settop box to receive digital signals, which is true, but he does not need one to receive standard analog TV over the air or through basic NTSC cable.

#6 of 7 Ed_Palubicki

Ed_Palubicki

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 08:50 AM

ooops
Got me a new Toshi 57H82!!!

#7 of 7 brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 02:52 AM