Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Sound System for $1,000??????

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Gary_X

Gary_X

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 11:11 AM

What's the best surround system for $1,000. I've had Bose in the past and have been very pleased. I'm in a new house with new decor and I need a white system. Should I go Bose again or is there something better?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 04:06 PM

Please get more specific.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 07:22 PM

It's late, so I'll be brief and flame and get that oever with, and then hopefully this can more constructive than a regular Bose-bashing thread. (oh but i do enjoy the bose-flaming threads though Posted Image )

Bose is way overpriced pieces of over-hyped crap. Posted Image

Alright that's outta the way.

If al you care about is the color of the system.... then sound really doesn't matter, and get whatever looks best. We here (i anyway) try to get the best performance for the dollar, and the point of a stereo or ht audio system is the sound, not the looks. If looks are really a primary goal instead of sound, then there are still some options, like in-wall speakers that will give you good sound. Other small speaker systems exist that are far better than the bose. I really like paradigm, i think rocket has a little package coming out the mirage setup gets recommended. There are options out there.

And do a search for "bose" and do a little reading.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 08:05 PM

Gary go to www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com and go to RAD Micros check them out. They are great sounding speakers and small. He can fininsh them in white or a wood look basically any color you want. I have them in black as my rears and they look sweet. Where state do you live in? If you want to spend a $1000 he could probably upgrade the sub. The system he shows is only $750. I have one of his big subs and it is awesome.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,921 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 03:38 AM

Energy take 5.2s are a great looking, great sounding set of speakers. That's a start Bre t

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 04:27 AM

I second the take5.2... I have them and love them. They come in white, black, and a beautiful maple and silver (I have these and at no extra cost). They sound awesome and a great buy. $900 For the speakers and the sub, worth every penny.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 06:16 AM

The Rocket ELT system comes in at $900 and is a fantastic buy at that price. It includes a 200 watt, 10” sub, four, 2-way satellite speakers (they go down to about 60 Hz) and a 3-way, four driver, center speaker that is really outstanding in its class.

I heard these in Dallas and they sound really good.
¡Time is not my master!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 07:15 AM

At this point it would be prudent to stop posting until Gary responds. Just asking what's the "best" "surround system" one can obtain for a grand is far too vague.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Gary_X

Gary_X

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for everybody's help. You've given me some great places to start looking. Looks like I didn't have to get more specific, huh Jack? This is "the basics" forum.....right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users