What's new

Prizzi's Honor 9/16 - New transfer? (1 Viewer)

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I'm wondering if this is a new transfer or just a price reduction of the old one. The thing that raises the question for me is that the cover looks identical to the old one.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks

Deane

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
The previous release was distributed by Anchor Bay; the upcoming edition is from MGM/UA. The covers are similar except the picture of Jack Nicholson & Kathleen Turner has been reversed (now the wrong names appear above the heads--go figure); Anjelica Huston's name has been removed from the cover (even though she won an Oscar for her role) & replaced with the MGM logo; and there's a different blurb on the cover. The specs look exactly the same: non-anamorphic widescreen on one side of the disc; P&S on the other. No other features. The price is lower, but I think that's the only change in this release.

I love this film--I wish MGM/UA had given it better treatment.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Thanks Brian. I suspected they weren't doing anything with it at it's price point. Seems like a mistake.

What was further confusing is that Laser's Edge claims it's anamporphic, DVD Empire doesn't know anything, and Amazon claims it's non-anamorphic. Somehow, a buyer is suppposed to make an informed decision with all of this conflicting information.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I love this film--I wish MGM/UA had given it better treatment.
This title is owned by the Disney subsidiary ABC. Disney may well be the party responsible for the elements used by MGM on this disc. Disney was notorious for the quality of the elements they gave to Anchor Bay during their licensing period.

DJ

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Updating a thread older than most of my undershirts: Amazon Spain has a region-free Blu-ray of PRIZZI'S HONOR. It's 1080i, barebones, and for all I know of dubious provenance (i.e. bootleg) but it's much better than the non-anamorphic DVDs out there.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Elsewhere(another forum) I said...

"The only reason to get this, is if you don't have a proper AR DVD."

Saying this is better than a non-anamorphic DVD is the very definition of faint praise...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
There's nothing wrong with the AR of the DVD, which is 1.85:1; the problem is, it's non-anamorphic. Every DVD on the world market is non-anamorphic. The Blu Ray is indeed much better, watchable--and will have to do until something improved comes along, a goal no other company appears to be racing toward.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Damin J Toell said:
This title is owned by the Disney subsidiary ABC. Disney may well be the party responsible for the elements used by MGM on this disc. Disney was notorious for the quality of the elements they gave to Anchor Bay during their licensing period.

Yet some times the Anchor Bay versions were actually better than the Disney or MGM versions, if you can believe that!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The DVD isn't pan/scan; it's 4:3. The Blu-ray fills the screen as it should. That's its plus, and it's not a small one.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bob Cashill said:
The DVD isn't pan/scan; it's 4:3. The Blu-ray fills the screen as it should. That's its plus, and it's not a small one.
You are right. Prizzi's Honor has the exact same specs from every single version, sold in every single country...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I've consumed it, and it tasted just fine. Perhaps it's best not to chime in on something you're ignorant of.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then you have ridiculously low standards, or a really lousy LCD.

Everywhere else. And I mean everywhere else...

1080i upscale.
Washed out color.
Barely audible sound.

Possible bootleg.

By the way. How are you even defending it...when even you, yourself, know...it is possibly a bootleg?

(by the way...rat=bootleg)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I projected it onto a 110' screen. Could there be a better Blu-ray out there? Someday, perhaps--but this is the best it's looked to date, and better than any non-anamorphic DVD. Repeat: You haven't seen the disc. I don't know what you were reacting to when you posted elsewhere, and now here, but it wasn't to the actual Blu-ray disc that I watched yesterday.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't need to know what it looks like. I. Do. Not. Buy. Bootleg. Period.

As far as I'm concerned, burn that shit and go back to the latest DVD release in white packaging.

(not that I'm going to get into a projector/screen pissing contest...

RS60 with a Screen Research ClearPix...)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I don't know if it's a bootleg or not. I obtained, watched it, and offered up my honest opinion based on an actual viewing. That's it. I can imagine that many people will want to import it, but if they do, I've said my piece.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...

Red flags...

Amazon doesn't even list the distributor(Underground).
Underground has no website I can even find(they don't put it, anywhere, on the cover?)
Pretty sure they also had a dreadful rendering of Desperately Seeking Susan.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I won't be going back to the MGM PRIZZI'S, which is a dinosaur. Nor would I purchase a Spanish DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN, as there is a viable Blu-ray available. The PRIZZI's Blu-ray offers something I wanted, and I have it, and it'll do for now. If a better Blu comes along I'll buy it, but it doesn't seem to be a priority. (Twilight Time or Criterion could do a lovely job with it, but the rights seem to be in flux.) I don't see much sense in being overly sanctimonious about this stuff; other forums aren't, and this isn't the first time one of these European discs has been in dispute on HTF. But, for the sake of collegial discussion, I'll move on.

(That said: Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 6030UB on an Elite screen. Not too shabby I don't think. :))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks