What's new

Hooking MP3 player to Pontiac head unit (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking at getting a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with their premium audio system. The system consists of 9 speakers, an external amp, and the head unit has a 6 cd in dash changer. It works with the heads-up-display and steering wheel controls, so I don't want to change out the head unit. But I'd like to use my Archos MP3 player in the car. It has the ordinary headphone output on it, as well as digital out.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to hook it up? The dealer checked with Car Toys and they said the FM modulator is about the only way to go. I was hoping there was an auxillary input on the back, but the dealer doesn't think so and I have no way of confirming this short of taking the HU out and examining it. The HU does have a button labeled "CD AUX" and pressing this changes from the radio to the built in cd player, but there's no indication of why it says AUX and the car's owner's manual says nothing about it.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd cheack with GM. If you look enough they should be able to tell you.

My thought would be that FM mod is it for ya!!

Brent

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
Your radio does not have an auxillary input in the rear. An FM modulator is really your only option, but remember, it will only sound as good as your FM radio.

There are no dealer options. You're going to have to swap out the radio for an aftermarket option for any kind of versatility. Sorry.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well the dealer went ahead and got the fm modulator put in and it didn't cost me anything, so that'll work for now. I've found a device that may do the trick though. It's called the PAC Auxiliary Audio Input Interface GM12. It plugs in the stereo through the XM input, and the XM plugs into it. Then it has a three position switch that allows you to choose between XM and two different 1/8" inputs on the device. I haven't verified that it will work in the Grand Prix yet, but once I can confirm that, I think I'll order one and install it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks