Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Fastlane... what happened to it?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Rob Varto

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 05:01 AM

Can anyone tell me what happened to The Fastlane on Fox? It disappeared at the end of spring and I've heard no word on it coming back this fall. As cheesy at it was, the show reminded me of Miami Vice and was very fun to watch.
1. Steal Underpants
2. ???
3. Profit

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 06:11 AM

Cancelled (expensive, and neither produced in-house or pulling in big ratings). Someday, John MacNamara is going to make a show that lasts >1 year.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,169 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 06:27 AM

And what really sucked was that it ended with Billie in the clutches of the female baddie of that last case, i.e. a cligghanger that we will never know what happens next (though the wandering mind leads to some salacious scenarios...)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 06:37 AM

When I run Hollywood, writing beyond your current order will bring fines. "Fox only ordered 22 episodes, and you set up a situation that requires a 23rd. $5,000, please."
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 07:46 AM

R.I.P.

Maybe MTV will pick it up since they were repurposing the episodes. I believe they have one more hour of music videos left on that channel so they definitely have the space.Posted Image
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 08:01 AM

Nit: the name of the show is just "Fastlane", just like the name of a popular movie involving a guy currently in the news is just "Terminator" Posted Image

MTV actually cut a bit out of the episodes when it showed them.

//Ken

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 08:04 AM

I'm glad its cancelled, as a big Miami Vice fan i found this show insulting. good riddance.Posted Image

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 08:10 AM

And the producer has Brisco County Junior, The Fugitive, Vengence Unlimited, Spy Game (w/the Raimis), and Profit on his resumé. If this was his first show to last more than one season, that would be insulting. Posted Image

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,805 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 04:37 PM

I thought the show reminded me more of The Fast and the Furious which I thought the show was emulating, or more so Too Fast Too Furious then emulated Fastlane. Of course, I only saw 3 episodes.Posted Image

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 05:24 AM

Personally I liked Fastlane. I loved seeing the cars, the action and the hot women. Posted Image It was a popcorn show. I get tired of people who think that everything on TV needs to be intellectually stimulating. I like action and eye candy and Fastlane did that very well.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Rob Varto

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 07:55 AM

Cancelled?? That sucks! It was one of the shows I've really been waiting for this fall. Now we'll get more reality crap w/ half-a$$ed looking women walking around a hotel acting like beautiful goddesses. Tim, Im with you - Im always good for a popcorn show like that with hot babes.
1. Steal Underpants
2. ???
3. Profit

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 08:19 AM

It was one of the few TV shows that actually took advantage of my HT. I watched mostly for that reason. Rob, I love your sig, I am huge SP fan - every episode on tape, no commercials.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 10:52 PM

[quote] When I run Hollywood, writing beyond your current order will bring fines. "Fox only ordered 22 episodes, and you set up a situation that requires a 23rd. $5,000, please." [quote]

Man do I agree. I can't stand when a show I like gets cancelled in a middle of a cliffhanger like Fastlane or John Doe (thank God they resolved Lone Gunmen on X-Files). I wish they would just make a resolving episode any time they do this.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 10:17 PM

I agree with most everyone here. Fastlane was a great show for what it way, pure eye candy. Exotic sports cars, great looking girls, etc. It too reminded me of Fast and Furious and I thought 2 Fast and 2 Furious this Summer at the movies did indeed copy the T.V. show as well. That makes the two of the three shows I watch on Fox gone, John Doe and Fastlane. All I care about now is 24, but watch that show get the axe for some reason too. Fox just plain sucks for any show except their dumb "reality" T.V. trash and please, if you're not a teenager and watch American Idol just don't tell anyone. Don't even get me started on that show.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Will Cunningham

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 06:13 AM

I will miss fastlane for 1 major reason, they took Hudson liek and put her back on TV as an S&M club villianess. I am forever grateful. Posted Image

The show did manage to hold my interest enough to make me wonder about the outcome of the cliffhanger too. For me it was "if there is nothing else on, and I feel like watching TV" appointment TV. I would let TiVo record it, but wouldn't get around to watching it every week.
Will Cunningham - www.MadRavings.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users