-

Photo

Artisan's new Killling Mr. Griffin DVD is cut?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Brian Gaddis

Brian Gaddis

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 04:48 AM

Hi, does anyone from Artisan hang out here? I have some questions about their new Killing Mr. Griffin DVD.

The IMDB has the film's running time listed as 108 minutes in "DVD details" section of their Killing Mr. Griffin entry. Artisan's disc is 89 minutes, as was the original PM Entertainment disc. The main page lists 89 minutes.

Which time is correct? The movie was a made-for-TV flick that aired in a two hour timeslot. Given that background, 108 minutes seems too long, as that would allow for only 12 minutes of commercial time. However, 89 minutes seems too short. That would allow 31 minutes of commercial time. That seems excessive. Most TV movies are in the 100 minutes range. One overseas site I saw had Killing Mr. Griffin listed at 94 minutes.

Anybody got the scoop on this? Is the disc cut, and if so, why? And what exactly was cut?

Thanks.

#2 of 7 LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 05:02 AM

The original release had the wrong running time - it was really 89 minutes despite what was listed.

Haven't gotten my disc yet, but I assume it's the same running time. And at least this time, there are chapter stops!

#3 of 7 Brian Gaddis

Brian Gaddis

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 05:33 AM

Yes, both discs run 89 minutes. I have not compared the picture quality between the two, though. I hope Artisan's looks better than PM Entertainment's.

You don't think 89 minutes seems too short for something that ran in a two hour time slot, though? That seems like an awful lot of commercial time to me. I had a copy of the original NBC broadcast version on VHS, but like a jackass, I tossed it after the PM Entertainment disc was released.
Posted Image

#4 of 7 LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 06:14 AM

As far as I can remember, the movie was just the same as it aired. 31 minutes of commercials for 2 hours airtime is not unheard of. But I didn't tape the NBC broadcast, so I can't compare.

109 minutes is way too long for a 2 hour broadcast anyway.

#5 of 7 Eric Emma

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 07:56 AM

Is this based on the book?

#6 of 7 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,954 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 26 2003 - 10:07 AM

Short as this may seem, most of the TV movies I taped in my youth ran about 75 minutes, or 22 minutes of commercial time per hour. That's why movies like The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur ran 4 and 5 hours respectively on TV.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 7 Brian Gaddis

Brian Gaddis

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 02:39 AM

Yes, it is based on the book.

You know, along with the Swedish site that had the movie running at 94 mintes, E! Online has it listed as 96 minutes. I guess I'm just going to have to track down a VHS copy of the original broadcast and try to put an end to it once and for all.