What's new

Hiding speaker wire tricks? (1 Viewer)

Brad_c_g

Agent
Besides the obvious of running the wire through the walls, what are some other tricks you have used to hide the speaker wire as best as possible so people don't notice it? Running along the floor isn't an option as its hardwood floors. any pictures of what others have done would be great. I was thinking like some 1/4 pcv pipe painted to blend in but this might be tacky.

any pics or ideas would be great.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I used flat, adhesive backed, paintable speaker wire for my rental apartment. If I remember correctly, it only cost like $.18/sq. ft more.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
If anyone can help give tips here that would help me out as well. I especially would like to know, how to hide it when it has to cross a walkway, like a hallway space. I have carpet and was thinking about a floor rug, but maybe someone else has a brighter idea. Thanks

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
You can run it in corners, and paint it to match the wall, or cover it with moulding. Run it along the edge of the doorjam instead of right across the threshold... Or get creative and put a little head and tail on it and everyone will think its an artisitic rendering of a snake.

Or you could run them directly from amp to speakers, I mean in a straight line, pulled tight, suspended in the air. It might look cool on Halloween.

- Cryo

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Juan,

If by “I have carpet” you mean wall-to-wall carpet, it’s not too hard to run the wire across the doorway under the carpet. Let me know if this is what you have and I’ll give you some instructions.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Darren,
That looks interesting. Is the baseboard done in the same method all the way around the room, or is it just that section to allow you to pull the wires out if need be?

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Wires/cables running on the outside of a wall,column or floor just don't look professional to me. I once helped a friend with hiding speaker wires when he mounted a speaker on a drywall covered column. We used a router and routed a channel on the drywall, then lay a speaker wire in it and fill it with tape and spackle. It looks and works great.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Brad, I had the same type of problem. I too have hardwood floors and needed to disguise my surround wiring. The owners would flip if I started drilling into an 81 year old building. I painted to match some simple trim/ridge moldings. Then ran the wire across the walls. It is not 100% out of view, but made a world of difference.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Juan,

You’ll need to get a thin aluminum rod from Home Depot in the metal stock section of the hardware department - the thinner the better, but not less than say, a wire clothes hanger. Make sure it’s longer than the doorway is wide.

The first thing you will need to do for this project is pull back the carpet from the doorway and cut a notch in the carpet tack strip on both sides of the doorway; you don’t want the speaker wire laying on it. The cutaway should be the width of the speaker wire. This can be accomplished with a hammer and chisel (or if not, a screwdriver will do).

Separate the two joined conductors of the speaker wire and cut one of the leads a few inches short. Then cut the ends of both leads at an angle.

Next, we’re going to tape the speaker wire to one end of the rod so that it looks like you have a “wand” at the end of it.

Here’s how we do this: The lead we cut short should be an inch or so above the end of the rod. The tape will be spiral-wrapped around both the speaker wire and the rod, starting just above the longer lead and continuing down over the shorter lead, to the end of the rod. Make sense? The reason for the peculiar cut(s) is to stagger the wire and provide a smooth taper, to keep it from snagging anything (i.e., the underlying pad) when you pull it under the carpet.

Now push the rod under the carpet across the doorway to the other side. If your aim is good the rod will “land” right between the opening in the tack strip you made. Once you can grab it and pull it through, the wires will follow under the carpet. It might help to have a helper on the other side of the doorway, to guide the wire through the gap in the tack strip, and to push it through as you pull. If you’re pulling a pair of wires, he can make sure they go under side-by-side, which will guarantee the lowest under-carpet profile.

Good luck!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Mathew,

I used this accessable moulding on both walls perpendicular to the screen. The wall left of the screen only hides an extension cable, where as the right side conceals the Bass cable to the Bass Shaker amp and SVS Subwoofer, the 65ft component cable to the projector, an extension cord for rope lighting and a pair of speaker wire runs to the rear center channel speakers.

This is totally undetectable and makes access a snap. Actually a easy modification to one's exsisting base moulding would prove similar results:

1.) Carefully remove exsisting base moulding using small pry tool.

2.) Once moulding is removed this will reveal the sheetrock underneath. Using a drywall knife/razor knife cut away approx. 1" of sheetrock running parallel to floor.

3.) Remove cut sheetrock strip. This now give you a 1" wide and 1/2 deep (dependent on actual drywall thickness) channel in which to run your speaker cable/wires.

4.) Using nail brads or plastic cable guides attach the wires to the revealed 2X4 stud.

5.) Replace moulding.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Wayne, and Darren, thanks for your suggestions.. If I can manage to do so without the little lady finding out, both used in conjuction will be what I do.

One more question Wayne... How hard is it to pull carpet off the tack strip on a corner... I will have to run across a hallway where the walls are like this..

| |
| |__________
| |_____|

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Juan,

I’ll send you an e-mail with a picture diagram. That will be easier than trying to explain everything. Give me a day or two.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I ran Home Depot 12 gauge speaker wire between my baseboard and carpet, I just pushed it in their with a flat head screw driver. I did this until I was right underneath my surrounds. I then connected it to Acoustic Research Speaker Micro Flat speaker wire which runs up the wall (it's sticky on one side and only .5mm thick). I put tape over it, spackled, sanded, and repainted. I'm very pleased with the clean look. I just hate the look of wires.

Click below for larger picture:

[url=http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/hiddenwire%20(WinCE).jpeg] [/url]

What do you think?

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

Thanks. I'm going to be doing it again soon with a pair of those Wharfedale picture frame speakers I'm putting in our pool room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks