What's new

Exorcist: The Beginning (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I did some searching around but did not find any good links with info on the story, production etc.

Anyone have links to some good info?

Thanks!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"Not a horror movie"??

Sounds interesting in its own right, but I'm kinda disappointed.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ricardo,

I wouldn't worry about that too much, a lot of people don't consider the original to be a horror film either, although i'd love to know what those people are smokin. :eek:

It does sound interesting though, apparently it will concentrate on topics that were touched on in The Exorcist II with father Merrin first encountering the demon Bazoozoo in Africa.

Very eager to see how this comes out.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Gang,

Don't expect to see this film this year as the released date has been pushed back to Feb 2004.

Dugger

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Don't expect to see this film this year as the released date has been pushed back to Feb 2004.
I don't like the sound of that. Where did you hear that Chris? I wonder if it's to give them time to work on the fx or if it's due to the fact that they have laid a stink bomb?

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Darkhorizons had a whole production diary on the prequel, but I can't seem to find it now. Currently, there is a description for the teaser for the film.

Here it is...no spoilers here unless you never saw The Exorcist.

Starts with the voice over of Father Damien asking Regan all the questions he asked from the first film, "who am I talking to, how old are you," in which Regan replies "12" and then all of a sudden you see Regan's ugly possessed face on the screen, and it then turns black and you see images of the first film going backwards, you see Father Damien who jumped out the window and fall on the stairs fly backwards up to the window and into Regan's room, and you see Father Merrin go backwards into the taxi in front of Regan's house and [which is shown on the Exorcist poster] quickly the screen turns black. Then the words "GO BACK, GO BACK, GO BACK, GO BACK .....TO THE BEGINNING" appear on the screen. You then see the young boy who is now possessed by the devil, and all sorts of action starts popping up, like the young priest played by Gabriel Mann in a tomb flying in the air dropping his rosary, and it ends with the theme song from the first Exorcist"

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
From the article...
Multiple awarded Vittorio Storaro handles the cinematography of this film, realized in UNIVISIUM â 1:2 format - invented by him
"A 1:2 format"? I'm not sure I understand what this means ratio wise.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I went and researched this and here is the lowdown from Vittorio Storaro's own site.
Go to the third page for an in depth explanation of what his new format, UNIVISIUM 1:2 is. Basically from what I can see it is a alternative to Super 35 but supposedly without the increase in grain...well..sort of.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Uh, what does that say for Freddy vs. Jason? Hard to squeeze a cup of milk from either of those franchises!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The fact that Paul Schrader is directing it has raised my interest level far more than it ever would have been normally.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Resurrecting this thread with a fascinating article:

Paul Schrader is being exorcised. Last week, he handed in his final cut of Exorcist IV: The Beginning, the $45m prequel to William Friedkin's 1973 horror masterpiece, and reaction from its makers Morgan Creek was apoplectic. According to a well-placed source, the studio chiefs waited in vain for the spinning heads and projectile vomiting they believed they had paid for. The trailers now running in US cinemas, comfortingly heavy on iconic scenes and Mike Oldfield music from Friedkin's money-spinner, would have to be pulled. What they were watching instead was some kind of post-colonial period-piece, a moody, intimate examination of faith. What they were watching, in fact, was the script they had paid for, which, rumour has it, they simply hadn't read.

Schrader and the studio are now at loggerheads. They can't sack him, and he won't resign. The option of hauling cast and crew back together for reshoots in its Moroccan location is financially insane. But Morgan Creek are loathe to give Schrader post-production money to finish his film. It seems a classic Hollywood case of greed versus integrity, of money men not realising they're paying for art till it's too late. But then, this film was trouble from the start.
A lot more info is available here.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well, color me excited! Definitely not what I had in mind for a film bearing the Exorcist name, but it does sound like it could be great. Let's just hope it's released unaltered... :frowning:

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Actually, I think I like this concept... I like it a lot. A moody, dark piece about the priest who has their faith drawn out and called into question would be good... confronting the horrific images he sees.

The Colonial period would only help, a time when life was fragile and precious, yet easily taken away.

Could be good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks