Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NO broadband?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,327 posts

Posted August 25 2003 - 08:55 AM

Its in a question as I am here doing this post using dial-up. After being on broadband for a good 4 years now I back to the "slowband" and to think we just moved into a community deemed as "upper class" (or so they say). So everyone here in these houses are all on dial-up? Geezzzzz!!!! Posted Image
Its Mountaintop, PA and if someone around here knows anything, please give me a hand in finding faster access.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted August 25 2003 - 09:19 AM

Some of them may have T1's. The hose we just moved into...the prior owner had it changed to fiber optic cables, so I couldn't continue my DSL line...so now I'm on cable.
Kyle McKnight

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted August 25 2003 - 09:56 AM

I have broadband (I've had it for over two years) and I live in a suburb that a good number of people in the Chicago area would turn their noses up at. So it pleases me greatly when I hear people from these so-called "well-to-do" communities around here whining that they have no broadband options in their towns. Posted Image

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted August 25 2003 - 10:51 AM

Eric, isn't even cable available? It's difficult to imagine that Mountaintop doesn't have broadband when the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area has at least had DSL for several years.

Did you try DSL Reports to confirm that there is no broadband?

Also, satellite is an option. It's not going to be cheap, but if the slow speeds drive you close to insanity (and I can understand they would for those of us who have ben "spoiled"), satellite is a viable option. Since you're well above the Wyoming Valley, signal strength shouldn't be a problem either. Posted Image

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Chas_T

Chas_T

Supporting Actor

• 758 posts

Posted August 25 2003 - 03:14 PM

Eric,

I looked at Jackflash in your area and keyed in a location in the town where you live and it read, unavailable.

http://www.jackflash.com/jack_home.asp

I do not know if you have Commonwealth Telephone as they own a protected area in my region.

Who is your cable provider??

Also, I too checked into satellite where I live, but the prices are as John writes, not cheap.

I just had one way cable installed and am going to do a demo of dsl with Jackflash (DSL) this week to compare the two. Those slow uploads are a true nusiance one one way cable modem as my regular dial up provider, Fastnet is faster on the upload. Bizzare..

Update. I did a quick search on Google for you and this is what I came up with Eric.

http://www.westband.....ia/Mounaintop/

"Broadband DSL ISP in Mounaintop, PA
Westband DSL Internet access is available in Pennsylvania:
Looking for a good DSL ISP in Mounaintop, PA? Look no further, Westband DSL Internet Access is available in Mounaintop. Westband Broadband DSL Internet Access is Fast, Westband Broadband DSL Internet Access is Reliable! With DSL internet you will be able to download web pages and files at blistering speeds giving you instant access to enjoy music, broadcasts, videos, and gaming."

Another:

http://www.burst.net.../coverage.shtml

"HIGH SPEED WIRELESS"

Scranton Area - Available
Dunmore - Available
Wilkes-Barre Area - Available
Pittston Area - Available
Mountaintop - July 2003
Clarks Summit - July 2003
Bloomsburg - July 2003

Good luck,
Charles

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   James St

James St

Supporting Actor

• 959 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 12:53 AM

The tests you run online aren't very reliable and some work off of others. The only sure way to check if broadband is available to you is to call each provider.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,327 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 01:03 AM

Hey thanks for the replies guys. Service electric is the cable company here and only the one way thingy is available. I really don't know if that's a viable option as I want my XBL among other things...
I'm going to call those people u said Chas and am crossing my fingers, all of them.
Thanks again and I hope to be in the "groove" again soon.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   JamesHl

JamesHl

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 03:31 PM

There's always direcpc, or whatever it's called.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 04:55 PM

DirecWay satellite internet would be an excellent opion for you!
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 02:27 AM

Quote:
DirecWay satellite internet would be an excellent opion for you!

How do you figure? The only thing reasonably priced, IMO, is the one-way service. He already stated that he was being offered one-way via cable, but didn't think that would be the way to go since he wanted to do XBox Live stuff.

And, even if he paid the big bucks and went two-way satellite, the latency would still be way too high for him to do XBL for 90+% of the games...

In other words, I do not think that any satellite-based internet is going to be a good option for him if he really wants to do XBL.

- John...
Buy/sell/trade used DVDs (and games) at gameTZ (for free)!
See my Available and Wanted lists for possible trades.