What's new

Halloween-New Edition Question (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
Now Let me get this straight. Anchorbay just released the Holloween-Expanded Edition thats with the 12 min of TV exerpts. Now someone told me that Bestbuy has the Limited Edition with the TV Version and the Theatrical Version and a picture of a CELL in the casing or something. Can someone clarify this for me. I heard that BestBuy has some deal with Anchorbay or something like that.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well as far as I know, the 'Limited Edition' is no longer in print. I have it and it didn't come with a film cell, it came with a postcard. The only versions of Halloween that are available right at this moment are the new 'Expanded Edition' with the twelve minuets of footage shot for the tv broadcast, and the theatrical version that Anchor Bay released after the 'Limited Edition' went out of print.
If you buy both of these, you pretty much have all of the contents of the 'Limited Edition', except that the 'Expanded Edition' that came on disc two in the 'Limited Edition' is anamorphic, and the new one by itself is not. Kinda confusing I know but that's it.
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
John,
Where did you here that the expanded edition packaged by itself was non-anamorphic? Everything I have seen has indicated that it was 16:9 enhanced. My understanding was that the only extra for the 2-disc LE over the separate releases was the post card with a production photo (not a cell, by the way). On both releases, the extended cut is in the original mono, while the theatrical cut has DD5.1, 2.0 surround, and original mono sound choices.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
The new extended version (tv scenes added in) is indeed anamorphic and some of these copies are packaged with an original film cell from the movie. The nice part is, both of these retail for $14.99 so if you plan on getting the new release look for one with the cell attached!
-Matty P
------------------
"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The 2 disc set it out of print.
Halloween: Extended Edition is in widescreen and has no other extras, it includes a film cell from an actual film reel of Halloween.
Only 4,000 of the Limited version are available, only at Best Buy.
I got one that has 2 little pics of the scene where he is attacking her in the closet.

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator
Now let me get this straight before I go out and buy one.Is the one with the tv extras included the R rated version or is it the one that shows on tv with all the good stuff cut out?I've got two versions on video(restored collectors edition and the anniversary edition)both in widescreen.Thanks for any help.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this today at Best Buy. Since I already have the 2 Disk LE, the purchase was made solely for the film cell. Mine is of the doctor. There was only one left at Best Buy when I left today and the rest were just the DVD for the same 14.99.
The cell comes in a nice baseball card demo style case.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Ignoring the old, crappy, non-anamorphic DVD, there were initally two versions of "Halloween" released:
[*]A two-disc "Limited Edition." [*]Disc one containted the theatrical cut. It had DD5.1, 2.0 and mono soundtracks. It was dual-layered, with both the (anamorphic) widescreen version as well as the pan and scan version available. A trailer or two, some radio spots, and a documentary made up the supplemental material.[*]Disc two contained the "Television version." It features the full, uncut version of the movie, plus the four additional scenes filmed for television broadcast. Nothing has been cut. A single layered disc, (anamorphic) widescreen widescreen only, and only the original mono soundtrack. No extras on this disc.[/list][*]The single disc standard version. It's just disc one from the LE, packaged by itself.[/list]The new release is also a "Limited Edition." It's just disc two from the original LE, packaged by itself. If you missed out the first time, buy this one along with the standard version, and you'll have the definive "Halloween" on DVD.
[Edited last by Carl Fink on August 14, 2001 at 08:18 PM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Whoa! My bad gentelman! I read a couple of other threads on this new release, and I could have swore I heard a couple people say it wasn't going to be anamorphic. I thought that their was something odd about that too. I guess that'll teach me to find out for sure first. Didn't mean to scare ya scott. :)
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks