What's new

Yet another 80's DVD rant - What is keeping these films from DVD? (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
Just wondering, what is preventing some of the below 80s movies from reaching DVD? While I realize mode of them are only cult movies, there are plenty of major studio releases of terrible movies that aren't popular or even cult. So why hold back the late 80s/early 90s cult flicks? Some of the ones I've missed on DVD (in order of which I want most at top):

RAD
The Last Unicorn
Explorers
Little Monsters
Fraggle Rock TV collection
Flight of the Navigator
The Electric Grandmother
Howard the Duck
D.A.R.Y.L.

There are plenty more, but those are just some on the top of my list...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
YEAH!

I want most of those. I already have an R2 copy of Last Unicorn, though. :D

Ah well, plenty of cool stuff to watch in the meantime. Or re-watch. Hey, I think I'll go re-watch Gotcha! :wink:

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
The electric grandmother ? lol ! I remember it , it was ok but not something i would buy. :D How about devil dog , the dog from hell?oops thats from the 70s.:D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Little Monsters- Coming in October from Pacfic Family Entertainment.

Fraggle Rock TV collection- HBO is responsible for this one, and hopefully they'll figure out people want this sooner rather than later. Warning to anyone looking at some of the other region collections, Fraggle Rock had different Doc and Sprockets in virtually every country(Lighthouse keeper in England, chef in france), and is likely dubbed if it's a non-english country.

Flight of the Navigator- Who knows, bet it'll be P&S when it does though

Howard the Duck- Frankly, I don't expect this until after Episode 3. Something tells me Lucasfilm is going to go insane on the SE for this just to spite people ;)

Mark_Paul

Agent
D.A.R.Y.L. was a good family picture. Good performance from the young lead. I'd like to see this on DVD, along with Explorers. Have patience, it will happen. ;)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Fraggle Rock TV collection- HBO is responsible for this one, and hopefully they'll figure out people want this sooner rather than later.
Actually, Columbia-TriStar has the video rights to this (through their video contract with The Jim Henson Company). And their Muppet discs are trickling out somewhat faster than before, so hopefully this will get a release soon (season sets, I-hope-I-hope-I-hope...)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd pick up Flight of the Navigator, but I couldn't bring myself to get RAD if I was paid!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
isnt there something called jim henson's storyteller?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but that's majority owned by the Henson company. Fraggles and the Disney films were co-productions. The reason why Farscape isn't on Columbia is because Hallmark owns the US video rights, and Artisan passed on it

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Where is the Costner film ,Fandango ?

The lack of this film on dvd is a crime surely?

Anyone know anything on when this title will be released,or who owns the rights etc?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Flight of the Navigator and D.A.R.Y.L for sure. Maybe I'd get Fraggle Rock. Another one I really want is 1986's (made for TV), THE FIFTH MISSILE, with Robert Conrad, David Soul and Sam Waterson. I'd give anything to get this one. Also, if anyone has a good copy they may have taped when this aired, please email or private message me.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Nope, HBO. Same reason why Disney released Xmas Carol and Treasure Island.
Same reason? Actually, no; HBO did not have anything to do with the production of Fraggle Rock. They simply had U.S. broadcast and video rights (both expired in the late 80s/early 90s).

Fraggle Rock was a coproduction of Henson and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation; however, Henson retained 100% of the ownership rights; this can be evidenced by the fact that Jim Henson Video released the early-90s Fraggle tapes, and not HBO.

The only Henson properties to be owned by someone other than the Henson company are the two Disney coproductions (MCC and MTI), Farscape (Hallmark), The Muppets Take Manhattan, and Labyrinth (both Sony, through TriStar; these film had been MIA on video between when the CBS/Fox and Embassy tapes (respectively) went OOP and when the recent C-T videos/DVDs came out, because Columbia owned the rights and didn't do diddly with them until they negotiated the video contract with Henson for the rest of their properties)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Minor correction, Jeff.
The only Henson properties to be owned by someone other than the Henson company are the two Disney coproductions (MCC and MTI), Farscape (Hallmark), and The Muppets Take Manhattan (Sony, through TriStar; this film had been MIA on video between when the CBS/Fox tape went OOP and when the recent C-T tape came out, because Columbia owned the rights and didn't do diddly with them until they negotiated the video contract with Henson for the rest of their properties)
You forgot Dinosaurs and Muppets Tonight, which were both JH/Disney co-prods.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, Fraggle Rock is Henson-controled (as some have posted). Karen Prell (who played Red Fraggle) has also been trying to get the Henson folks to consider putting the Fraggle series on DVD. Apparently, it's Henson's call.

So sign my petition and tell them that you want them ALL and that you want them in ORDER (ie, no "best of" collections!!!)!!!

dave :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks