What's new

viewing distances for 57" and 65"? please help (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I've been searching but can't find what the best viewing distance is for a 57" and a 65" HDTV.

Also what distances can i "get away with" with both sizes?

My one wall is only 11 feet....so with the 2 foot width of the TV, i would only be 9 feet away.
I may be pushing it with a 57"?

Thanks a ton.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
IMO you should be fine, that's what I plan to do, my room is only 9-1/2' x 11'. There is going to be a big wow factor depending on the size of tv your using now. I talked to a fellow board member and he sits 5-6 feet away from his 65" Mitsu without any problems. Bigger is better in most cases.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
This link to What Sized RPTV should help.

The THX recommended distance is about 6.2-8.0 feet for the 57"
The THX recommended distance is 7.3-10.2 for the 65.

THX bases it's recomendation on trying to get a ~30 degree viewing angle. The Viewing distance calculator (link in the above thread) has another calculation as well, but it's a bit more complicated.

Hope this helps.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
So i can get away with my 65" on a 11 foot wall?
Thats a bit of a shock.

Seems WAY to close...thats great news.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
My 61" is 9 ft away. There will be no problem with a 65" 9 ft. away. Once it's there awhile you won't even notice how big it is anymore.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I sit 7 ft. away from a 56" (note, 7 ft. eyeball to screen) and it is perfect for HD and DVD's, standard cable TV stinks anyway, so I live with it. You should be fine with a 65" at 9 ft. One warning, you will be shocked when you first see the TV, it will look HUGE. Resist the urge to say "it's too big, I have to return it". In a few weeks, it will look fine and you'll kick yourself for ever considering sending it back.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of web sites have been saying the best with a 65" is 13.5 feet.
thats a lot of room compared to the 7-8 feet people here are saying!

All this stuff is so confusing lol./

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
13 feet is too far, I only sit 10' from my 123" screen. I used to sit 8 ft from my 61" RPTV and that was a fine distance.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
I'm so excited now.
I move into my 1st house on Friday and get the TV delivered then.
I just had no clue the 65" would fit against the wall i wanted.
The basement is 11 feet by 19 feet.....the 19 foot wall would be a close fit because there a fire place in the corner and it would look stupid.

The 11 feet wall is PERFECT for a TV.
I would have tried to fit on the 19 foot wall.....man, i'm excited.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Dustin:

congrats on your new home and tv. I usually don't like like doing this but I could not help notice that you have a basement that's the perfect size for a front projector. I live in Florida and even without a totally light controlled room I'm enjoying my projector.

With the prices of some very good projectors lower than a to rptv you should alteast give it some thought. I have a 53" Sony rptv and a Sony HS10 front projector with a 100" wide screen which just makes the 53" look small.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks