-

Photo
- - - - -

Projection Through Glass Panel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Darren{Moo}

Darren{Moo}

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted August 22 2003 - 04:02 AM

I have a Sim2 HT300+ that is mounted inside a projection cabinet. I am wondering if it would be possible to place a piece of clear glass (or any transparent material) over the projection opening in the cabinet without adversely affecting the picture quality. I am interested in doing this to reduce the amount of ambiant noise in the theater room. Any suggestions as to type of glass or material to use, or other thoughts on why this might be a bad idea.

Thanks
Sometimes to much to drink is just barely enough... Mark Twain

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   ryankurte

ryankurte

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hi, haven't done personally but maximumpc used some of this heat absorbing glass ( HEAT-ABSORBING GLASS WINDOW, 63MM DIAMETER - Surplus Shed ) on their multitouch rig that looks like it would suit.
Just make sure the projector has enough ventilation.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted June 04 2009 - 12:50 AM

as ryan has pointed out...make sure the ventilation is adequate.

also make sure you use an optical grade port glass.

good luck!!

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 468 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted June 04 2009 - 02:27 AM

Projection booth port glass should be mounted at a slight angle to avoid reflections off the lens. Otherwise, light can bounce off the glass, back to the lens, then contaminate the image being projected.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 03:01 AM

There will be very little degradation using plain old glass this way. You can get "water clear" glass at any glass/window store, in whatever size you need. And yes, a slight angle to the glass will help reduce the multiple reflections.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 468 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted June 04 2009 - 03:40 AM

Here's a link to a source for material specifically engineered for your desired purpose: Optical Coatings | Processes | Water White . I'm assuming that you you have invested thousands of dollars in your system and would rather not incorporate elements that result in even a "very little degradation" when it can be avoided.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 10:50 AM

I've seen it done with 0.125" acrylic. The worst part of the "port" in that experience was the extra pair of surfaces that needed to be kept clean.

I'd try and find some plain, flat, borosilicate float-glass. Lighting companies, like Apollo Design ( internetapollo.com ) or Rosco Labs, ( rosco.com/us/index.asp ) and other places that make custom glass "gobos" have access to very thin (1.1mm), very flat borosilicate glass. Plain, dichroic colors are inexpensive; some raw, uncut, uncolored should be relatively cheap.

And again, beware the heat!