-

Photo

space balls - nose gag

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 BrettV

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 10:03 AM

Did anybody notice that on the Spaceballs DVD, at the part where dark helmet threatens to give princess vespa back here old nose, it is completely cut off in the picture? (the screen cuts it off) .. and in BOTH WIDESCREEN AND PAN/scan ... What the heck?? Why did they do that?

#2 of 21 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 10:06 AM

Apparently, they made the same mistake on the widescreen LD (it may be the same transfer). A lot of people commented on this when the DVD was first released, but nothing came of it. After all, it's an MGM disc. Posted Image

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 21 Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 10:07 AM

The nose gag is still on the transfer, it's just that the overscan on TV sets cuts it off. I can see the gag when I play it on my computer.

However, I agree 100% withy you that it is ridiculous that MGM messed it up. They should've framed it so that everyone sees the nosegag, even with the overscan on TV sets.

------------------

#4 of 21 Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 10:18 AM

I believe MGM did the right thing. You get the movie the way it was filmed using the full horizontal resolution that NTSC can provide. My dream wish is that more TV's have underscan capability, which allows you to see the whole picture. I believe, perhaps mistakenly, that most front projection systems as well as computers do this naturally.

#5 of 21 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 10:30 AM

Quote:
I can see the gag when I play it on my computer.
I'm able to get the same effect by playing it on a 16:9 monitor in "normal" mode, so that the full width of the image shows in the 4:3 area at the center of the screen. The framing of the shot still looks off, though; the photograph is shifted a little too far to the right.

Quote:
You get the movie the way it was filmed using the full horizontal resolution that NTSC can provide.
Not quite sure what you mean there, since the disc isn't 16:9-enhanced.

M.

[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 12, 2001 at 05:48 PM]

#6 of 21 Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 02:04 PM

"Not quite sure what you mean there, since the disc isn't 16:9-enhanced"

That's why I said "horizontal" resolution.

#7 of 21 StephenT

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 03:47 PM

I was in Germany when this movie came out because my dad was in the Army. I saw it in a theater there, and it was framed wrong. The nose was cut off, and none of us in the theater could figure out why the princess was so upset about getting back her old nose. I didn't get the joke until I saw the movie on VHS. How sad is that?

------------------
Stephen

Stephen

#8 of 21 Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 03:58 PM

Well I never really notice her nose being missing the last time I watch it. Then again, it was a bit ago, and I planned on watching it again probably tomorrow, so I can see if it truly gone.

------------------

Support the DVD release of the Disney Afternoon for her.

I need a new signature.

#9 of 21 Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 12:01 AM

I remember this topic coming up when the LD first came out; it was discussed fairly heavily on usenet's laserdisc group. One of the people who weighed in had been a projectionist when the film first came out. Seeing that scene, he went in and checked the film itself. It was, in fact, framed to the edge so that the nose would 'continue off into the next theatre.'

He pointed out a couple of other things that were off-center, seemingly intentionally. If I remember right, the "may the schwartz be with you" at the end was off-center, but it's been a while since (a) I've watched the Ld, and (b) I read the thread.

Leo Kerr
Lkerr1@alumni.umbc.edu

#10 of 21 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 12:52 AM

Quote:
"Not quite sure what you mean there, since the disc isn't 16:9-enhanced"
That's why I said "horizontal" resolution
Sorry, my question was poorly framed. I don't see what "resolution" -- of any kind -- has to do with the issue, which is primarily one of framing. From subsequent posts, it appears that this may indeed have been the intended framing. If so, the choice seems questionable, since (as noted) theatrical projection can suffer from a form of "overscan" just like video monitors. But, hey, that's the filmmakers' prerogative . . .

M.

[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 14, 2001 at 08:29 AM]

#11 of 21 Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 12:51 PM

One of the ways of fixing the problem would have been to slightly windowbox the right side of the frame. You would then be able to see the nose better. However, you would have suffered a slight lose in resolution due to the smaller picture area. That's what I meant but didn't really explain.

[Edited last by Lannie Lorence on August 13, 2001 at 07:52 PM]

#12 of 21 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
One of the ways of fixing the problem would have been to slightly windowbox the right side of the frame.
Interesting point, which I hadn't thought of. A lot depends on whether the original film frame has any additional image at the right. If not, then windowboxing would be the only way to fix the problem.

Time to start lobbying for Spaceballs: The Ultimate Edition! Posted Image

M.

#13 of 21 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted August 03 2003 - 12:39 PM

I know this topic's about 2 years old now but I just bought the DVD of Spaceballs today and just finished watching it. I noticed the error in the scene as well, but after reading all of these replies, I guess I'm sort of relieved that it was the way it was originally filmed. I also noticed at the end when the screen flashes "MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU" that it was somewhat off-kilter. Was wondering if anyone had any comments about this. I only paid $13 (CDN) for it so I'm not overly-concerned, but still, if it was an error in part of the people who put it together, I'd love to see a fixed special edition perhaps in the forseeable future.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#14 of 21 BrettV

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 03:03 PM

has this ever been fixed on subsequent releases? Just curious.

#15 of 21 DaveRU

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted November 17 2007 - 11:19 AM

Yeah the subsequent Collector's Edition with anamorphic transfer fixes it somewhat Posted Image

#16 of 21 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted November 18 2007 - 08:33 AM

Posted Image

Looks pretty "fixed" to me. This thread is almost seven years old. Move along.

#17 of 21 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted November 19 2007 - 12:27 AM

It's interesting that some don't get the joke reguardless of how it is framed on the DVD. This kind of nose joke is pretty standard. Rich girl...nose job. That's always gone together like peas and carrots, for me anyway.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#18 of 21 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted November 19 2007 - 04:06 AM

And it's not just a rich girl getting a nose job, but a "Druish princess" getting one...Posted Image

#19 of 21 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted November 19 2007 - 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggai
And it's not just a rich girl getting a nose job, but a "Druish princess" getting one...Posted Image
Good thing this Mel is Druish...erm, Jewish. We can laugh! May the schwartz be witch cha! Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#20 of 21 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,146 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 20 2007 - 05:32 AM

I think it's hilarious that her first name on the photo is "Princess".

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow