What's new

Directors Your Dream DVD (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
If you were given the opportunity to wish one DVD into existence, what would be your ultimate dream DVD? The sky's the limit here, so if you wanted it to include lost footage, or commentary by a late director or actor, it would.

Not the easiest choice for me, but I would choose a completely restored, 8-hour version of Robert Altman's NASHVILLE, featuring a documentary including interviews with Altman and all 24 major players.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Mine would be The Wonder Years series (sorry, it's a lot of DVDs, but technically still just one title). Surely just a dream since music clearance rights for this show would probably cost an ungodly amount.

Including:

-Complete, uncut episodes with all original music
-A "making of" documentary of the show
-Cast & crew commentaries on all the landmark episodes with Neal Marlens, Bob Brush, Carol Black, Daniel Stern & Fred Savage
-Deleted scenes
-Outtakes & gag reels

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
The Other, from '72..complete with commentary and loaded with features. not asking for much...just a little love for this film.

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator
The entire 6 film Star Wars Saga...one big box set. It would include both the original and special edition versions of the original trilogy. Audio commentaries by the directors and writers of each film (so...Lucas, Kasdan, Kirshner), complete screenplays, the complete "Art of..." books in a still frame gallery, and just about as much Star Wars extra content that you could put on it.

How's this sound:

COMING TO A GALAXY THIS FALL - THE ENTIRE STAR WARS SAGA - EPISODES 1-6 - IN ONE 10 DISC BOX SET SPECIAL EDITION. First 6 discs - the films, other four discs - THE EXTRAS!!!

Tell me this would not sell!!??

Oh...and the infamous STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL and both EWOK MOVIES TO BE INCLUDED AS WELL.

Now that would be a definitive Star Wars set!

Luis A

Second Unit
Actually, I already have 3 dream DVD's. Star Wars Eps 1&2 and The Matrix. The only thing better would be Reloaded, Revolutions, and EP3 when they are released.:)

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Here's one that I'm wishing for, TWIN PEAKS SEASON 2. With DTS and Commentary on the Lynch episodes.

I've been waiting oh so long.

And a Directors Cut of Total Recall + Robocop would be VERY groovy with special features that actually relate to the movie! Not like the baboon ass Total Recall that has "images of mars" and other useless non-film related special features.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
For me, the ultimate dream DVD would be a mega special edition of Superman II with the following:

- Newly remastered DD 5.1 ES soundtrack
- Newly re-recorded score by John Williams
- Running audio commentary by Richard Donner, Tom Mankiewicz, and Richard Lester
- Second audio commentary by Christopher Reeve, Terence Stamp, Jack O'Halloran, Sarah Douglas, and other cast members
- Fully restored extended version of the film with as much of Richard Donner's footage from the TV broadcast incorporated back into the framework of the film
- A separate version of the film with all of Richard Donner's footage restored, including the lost Marlon Brando scenes
- A subtitle track that reveals which footage is Donner's and which footage is Lester's
- The Making of Superman II documentary from 1981
- Both theatrical trailers
- Any and all TV spots for the film
- New retrospective documentaries continued from the Superman SE DVD with Donner, Mankiewicz, Reeve, Kidder, et al on what actually happened during the filming
- Poster and concept art gallery of different posters from around the world (I know of at least five different posters used to promote the film)

That would be the biggie for me! :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I want to make a conan the destroyer se.. with either footage back into the movie or separate. have commentary by sarah douglas (queen taramis) & grace jones. also have a easter egg of footage of sarah douglas from the series falcon crest (she was filming both conan and FC at the same time). have trailers, posters, brand new interview with cast and crew about the movie. a tribute to wilt chamberlain about his role in conan the destroyer.

JACOB

Mike DB

Agent
The Godfather saga. The complete uncut and uncensored epic version of parts 1 and 2 as edited back to chrolonlogical sequence by Coppola for video with many extra scenes not in the theatrical versions. Presented in widescreen with 5.1 surround and an isolated score track. Also with commentaries by Brando, DeNiro, and Pacino.

Also: Coppola's "Heart of Darkness", a documentary shot mostly by his wife during the filming of Apocolypse Now. Extra features to include the short documentary "Heart of Hot Shots" which was a spoof of it.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Poltergeist Special Edition

All new making of discussing the films infamous history
Original behind the scenes
commentary with Tobe ans Steven
commentary with cast
commentary with paranormal expert and an expert of the film
DTS ES soundtrack
new transfer of the film
trailers
full page variety add

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"The Assassination Of John F. Kennedy: As-It-Happened"

Complete 91-Disc Set featuring all 165 hours of original TV coverage from all three major networks, covering the events of November 22 to November 25, 1963.

Restored & Remastered Video from the original network master tapes.

This Unparalleled Mega-Set Includes These Deluxe Bonus Features (on 9 extra discs):

>> CBS' "As The World Turns" soap opera in its entirety, including original commercials, as it aired on Friday, November 22, 1963 @ 1:30 PM (ET).

>> Three New 2003 40th-Anniversary Documentaries, examining the events surrounding the assassination, including many computer animations recreating the assassination. Hosts include: Tom Brokaw, Walter Cronkite, and Peter Jennings.

>> "Virtual 3-D Tour Of Dealey Plaza", with multi-angle capability.

>> "The History Of The Texas School Book Depository" featurette, exploring the famous warehouse, inside & out, including current footage of "The Sixth Floor Museum".

>> Complete list of all Dealey Plaza witnesses, including mini-bios and a 3-D "Where They Were On Nov. 22" interactive map.

>> "Where Were You?" featurette, featuring interviews (new and archived) with many politicians, celebrities, and just plain ol' folk, as they discuss the assassination and reveal where they were when they first heard the shocking news from Dallas. Participants include: Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, Bob Hope, Judy Garland, James Stewart, Frank Sinatra, plus many others.

>> "The Secret Service: What We've Learned Since 11/22/63" 48-minute original featurette.

>> "Exploring The Conspiracy Theories" documentary featurette.

>> "The Films Of November 22" -- Featurette exploring the many amateur films that were taken at the time of the JFK assassination.

>> "The Dallas Police Department: Then And Now" featurette.

>> "Air Force One: Kennedy's White House In The Sky" -- 39-minute documentary program delving into the history of SAM 2-6000, JFK's official aircraft during most of his 1,037 days in office. Historic, rare photographs of the aircraft on the ground and in-flight are included.

>> Multi-page text biographies for: John F. Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis, Robert F. Kennedy, and Lyndon B. Johnson.

>> Photo Galleries, including more than 500 photographs associated with the assassination (all re-mastered for HD clarity).

>> 42-page companion collectible booklet, with information on the events of November 1963 and the restoration of the wealth of video material compiled for this massive DVD Collection.

>> Deluxe Leather Slipcase Packaging.

>> Individual Keepcases for each of the 91 discs in the set; with extensive liner notes for each disc.

>> Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 (Full Frame) -- Applies to material originally broadcast in 1963.

>> Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 (Anamorphic) -- Applies to all-new featurettes/documentaries.

>> Interactive Menus, with detailed sub-menus on every disc.

>> Scene Selections.

>> English Sub-titles.

>> MSRP: $9.95.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Nashville was originally 8 hours long? This was Altman's director's cut?! Great to see that Images is out next month. :emoji_thumbsup:

As for my dream DVD, I'd have to say that the seemingly never-coming Bladerunner set probably fits the bill. But special editions of Neil Young's Journey Through The Past and Human Highway, as well as a release of his never-edited 1976 concert film would quite joyous! :)

Gordy

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Hmm. Star Wars and Indiana Jones have been covered already. How about this?

Police Squad!: The Complete Series

All 6 episodes digitally restored and remastered

-2-disc set
-Full-screen format (1.33:1)
-Dolby Digital
--English 5.1 Surround
--Restored English Mono
-English Subtitles
-Commentaries on all 6 episodes by creators David Zucker, Jerry Zucker, & Jim Abrahams, producer Robert K. Weiss, and actor Leslie Neilsen
-Retrospective Documentary "Is This Some Kind of Bust?", featuring new, exclusive interviews with David Zucker, Jerry Zucker, Jim Abrahams, Robert K. Weiss, writers Pat Proft & Nancy Steen, actors Leslie Nielsen, Ed Williams, & Peter Lupus, as well as never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage
-4 Featurettes
--"Tribute to Alan North"
--"Rex Hamilton: An Acting Legacy"
--"The ZAZ Team: Making an Impact on Comedy"
--"Scoring Police Squad with Ira Newborn"
-Original Network Promos
-Photo Gallery
-Cast and Filmmaker Bios
-Theatrical trailers, TV spots, deleted scenes, and outtakes from The Naked Gun films and the Airplane! films

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
For me Split Second with new digital hd transter
Commentary by the cast and the Dir and the Dir of photography.
New 5.1 DTS 24/96 remix.
Making of featurette
Making of FX
Deleted Scenes
Same for Solar Crisis with us cut and Japan cut using seamless blending.
2.35.1 and 16/9 and 480p on the disc.
;)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm still waiting on Tod Browning's Freaks which I believe is scheduled for next year. It'll probably be bare-bones so here's how I'd do it:

restored picture and sound
production commentary
documentary on Tod Browning
there was a History Channel documentary entitled "Freaks and Sideshow Geeks" (or something like that) which would fit in nicely
the screenplay
the short story Spurs upon which Freaks was based.
news articles on the controversy surrounding the movie (it was banned in Britain)
articles on the various afflictions suffered by the actors in the film and how far science has come in dealing with them
the trailer
advertising artwork

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I want EACH OT Star Wars film to get a 4-disc special edition up to the standard set by LOTR. The OT would have the SE and original on a disc each, then two discs each of extras.

10 discs for all 6 films? Nah, try 12 discs for just the OT :D

(I'm already happy with the prequel editions. The Beginning is the best hour long documentary I have.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks