Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons - The Complete Third Season (Highly Recommended!)

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 of 141 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 04:11 PM

#2 of 141 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 04:13 PM

Please forgive the formatting. I am trying work on it as we speak. I typed this in Front Page the formatting is COMPLETELY different. EDIT: After literally 3 hours, I finally fixed the formatting. Every single line of text needed fixing. Sheesh.

#3 of 141 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 20 2003 - 04:18 PM

Picture quality has been a consistent issue with these Simpsons releases. Season 1, sourced from what I believe were affiliates' video masters, is especially bad. Season 2, which a marked improvement as they were sourced from the film masters, still had it's share of problems.

Thanks for the review! The variety of images and detail was very much appreciatedPosted Image Keep up the good work.

#4 of 141 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 20 2003 - 04:19 PM

Adam: Each line in Frontpage formatting is converted into line breaks by the vBulletin software. To fix the problems, make sure all of the HTML is one line, with no breaks.

#5 of 141 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 04:46 PM

Adam, two questions come to mind. 1. In the Episode, "Flaming Moe's," which has a guest appearance from Aerosmith performing, is their music intact? 2. Is the packaging consistant with Season One and Two or have they switched to the slim cases like Futurama and Family Guy? Thanks for the review.
"...when the red, red robin goes bob, bob bobbin' along..."
"...he'd kill us if he got the chance..."
"...he'd kill us if he got the chance..."
"...keep your lovin' brother happy..."

#6 of 141 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the review. BTW, you have a misspelling in the thread title with THRID.

#7 of 141 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 07:09 PM

Terry, I will check on the Flaming Moe episode tomorrow. I believe its not the actual original version. When I played the songs on the "jukebox" extras, the song came in nice and loud. Sounded good. I have not seen Season 1 or 2. Have you seen The Transformers season boxed sets? These are like those. It folds out. They are not individual slim line cases. Sorry for the initial problems in my first review posting. Got it worked out for the most part. I will have Ron fix the title for me. Thanx.

#8 of 141 OFFLINE   Kelvin DP

Kelvin DP

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 07:43 PM

How many episodes have the pop-up option? Before I got my copy, everyone was saying that there was a pop-up episode on each disc but there's only one on Colonel Homer as far as I've found...
"We May Be Through With The
Past, But The Past Ain't Through
With Us"

View my DVD Collection at http://www.dvdaficio...&id=somecompany

#9 of 141 OFFLINE   ErikHansen

ErikHansen

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 12:44 AM

For those interested, there are hidden commentary tracks on some episodes in this set. On disc one there are two commentaries for the first episode on disc two there are two commentaries for episode second episode on the disc. If there are episodes on disc three and four that have two commentaries I don't know, I have only had time to watch the first two discs but I would suspect that there is a similar pattern with one episode on each disc that has two commentary tracks instead of just one. You access the commentaries by flippeing through languages while the episode is running. Regards, Erik

#10 of 141 OFFLINE   Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 01:10 AM

I'm not a big fan of easter eggs or hidden stuff in general. I mean, it can be kind of a fun, but I feel like I'll miss something or forget about something and thus lose out on something cool. Guess I should start keeping a little listing for each movie.

[quote] Terry, I will check on the Flaming Moe episode tomorrow. I believe its not the actual original version. [quote]

If it's not the original, any idea how it's changed and why they changed it?
"Make ready, for this is our first and final battle..."

#11 of 141 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 01:40 AM

[quote] How many episodes have the pop-up option? Before I got my copy, everyone was saying that there was a pop-up episode on each disc but there's only one on Colonel Homer as far as I've found... [quote]

Kevin, I could only find that one pop-up episode. Colonel Homer. I believe that is the only one.

#12 of 141 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 02:03 AM

I'm very excited for this set, but I'm still hoping that one day we'll get a full documentary on the making of this show. I also really wish we would get the deleted scened
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#13 of 141 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,807 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 21 2003 - 02:32 AM

Adam - you gave an interesting review, but I suggest having someone proof-read future reviews. You had various grammar errors and several creative uses of the English language. Posted Image My favorite is, "They most detailed as yet, even is future episodes."

You also apparently have a unique TV, the "Sony WAGE"

Posted Image

Thanks for the informative review.

#14 of 141 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 03:07 AM

Wow, they really got their stuff together on Season 3. It looks like the menus are more practical, and most importantly, did they listen to our requests about cast commentaries? I was expecting Season 3 to be just more of the same as seasons 1 and 2, but they really improved it. Thanks, Fox!
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#15 of 141 OFFLINE   JeanSSullivan

JeanSSullivan

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 03:31 AM

I'am glad to ear it's great. I was not expecting anything for the picture since this date from 1991. If digital season look as good as Futurama.. then i will say WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO! Now.. the only problem i have.. is if they continue this stupid 1 season a year thing.. SuperHDDVD in 3000x2000 will be avaible. there still 12 season to go, 12 years????? Gimme a break and step those up to 3 a years... they did a terrific job with Futurama and King Of the hill, i don't know what holding them..

#16 of 141 OFFLINE   Craig_T

Craig_T

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 03:47 AM

Oh my god, is that a PLAY ALL option I see on one of those pictures?!

#17 of 141 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 03:57 AM

Adam... great review. I'm not a fan of the show but it appears as though you spent a great deal of time covering the product for those who are. Thank you. Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#18 of 141 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 04:21 AM

[quote] Oh my god, is that a PLAY ALL option I see on one of those pictures?! [quote] Yep. A Play All feature has been added to the main menu of each of the 4 discs.

#19 of 141 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 04:26 AM

[quote] Adam - you gave an interesting review, but I suggest having someone proof-read future reviews [quote]

I really do appologize if you read this review when I first posted it. It had a lot of problems. I have been so incredibly busy these last couple of days. Then I got the DVD's in the mail. I had to stay up until 1am for 2 nights writing this review. Then, when I posted it, I had major formatting issues. The time I was going to spend proofreading, I spent fixing the format. I definately had some areas that needed fixed. Being so tired last night, and working on this for so long, I just wanted it up.

Sorry if my first review wasn't stellar. I really wanted it to be. I will get better tho. Don't worry. Posted Image

#20 of 141 OFFLINE   Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 04:26 AM

i didn't think the simpsons was ever digitally animated...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users