What's new

Suggestions for DTS discs for new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Thomas B

Agent
I have a new Onkyo 595 receiver and the DD sound is fantastic, and the PL2 sounds good, too, for the appropriate sources, but I haven't listened to DTS yet. Any suggestions for a few good DVDs with impressive DTS sound?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Eagles: Hell Freezes Over
The Prince Of Egypt
Jurassic Park (I don't have the new pressing yet, but I hear it's phenominal)
Saving Private Ryan
Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition
Die Hard: 5 Star Collection
The Red Violin
These are a few of my favorites as well as reference quality for channel separation and overall sound on my set-up.
------------------
You bought fish boots...

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
I agree with T2, Saving Private Ryan, and Die Hard 5-Star Edition.....but don't forget U571.....possibly the best of the bunch.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Steely Dan: Two Against Nature DTS
The Caveman's Valentine (one of my new favorite DTS discs)
and I have to second The Red Violin (because that is a beautiful soundtrack)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Also if you buy the Close Encounter.....
and Unbreakable discs use the DTS track,these are sourced from a different master IMO and I preffered it to the DD.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
The recommendations given so far are top notch and will not disappoint. I also like Dances With Wolves in DTS.
And sort of on topic. Does anyone have a list of full bit rate DTS discs?
------------------

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Titan A.E. is very popular. Don't miss out on Se7en, Emperor's New Groove, Pitch Black, Bring it On, Cast Away, GalaxyQuest, and Meeting People is Easy.
Pieter
------------------
"Too late, I'm in the 40's, gotta go around the horn... it's faster!"
BoomRoom

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I would also suggest checking your system out for music. The DTS CD of Dave Grusin's West Side Story arrangements is a good one with which to do this.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Ivan Luk

Agent
Don't forget Gladiator!
eek.gif

------------------

Thomas B

Agent
Thanks to all for the replies. I shall definitely check out some of those titles! Not having heard DTS yet, I must say . . . if it beats Dolby Digital, hen DTS must REALLY ROCK!

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
I must say . . . if it beats Dolby Digital, hen DTS must REALLY ROCK!
HA! I am a big DTS fan, but no one ain't beating Dolby Digital. There is no need for a versus between the two. Each one does what it's supposed to do.
I for one, was disappointed with the DTS tracks on the Warner DVDs. Lack of bass on Lethal Weapons.
Also, have you heard Lost In Space? Sheesh. It's amazing how DD is encoded with only 448ks and manages to give DTS 754ks a run for the money!!!
P.S: It is to my understanding, that when DTS does retro flicks, that the difference is very opaque. Now, Independence Day, which was released with Dolby Surround in theaters, Dolby blew the roof with 5.1 sound!

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Get the DTS #4 demo DVD. It has excerpts from Antz, The Haunting, Saving Private Ryan, Hotel California from the The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over, Sheryl Crow and Roy Orbison:Pretty Woman. This allows you to sample various DTS audio quickly.

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
I know Saving Private Ryan was mentioned earlier, but just an added commemt. I think it was and is still the mother of all DTS soundtracks. If you're going to get just one DTS disc right away, run and get this one and then hold on to your butt.
------------------
Jim Herrod
virgil.jpg

Derek J

Grip
I haven't started to build a DTS movie collection but for concert DVD's in DTS then I have to agree with everyone that The Eagles Hell Freezes Over is probably the best out there. I also just bought Santana Supernatural and it is impressive but not as clear as The Eagles DVD. Next on my list is the Steeley Dan DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks