Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Suggestions for DTS discs for new receiver?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Thomas B

Thomas B

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 10:44 AM

I have a new Onkyo 595 receiver and the DD sound is fantastic, and the PL2 sounds good, too, for the appropriate sources, but I haven't listened to DTS yet. Any suggestions for a few good DVDs with impressive DTS sound?

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 3,168 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 12 2001 - 11:12 AM

Eagles: Hell Freezes Over The Prince Of Egypt Jurassic Park (I don't have the new pressing yet, but I hear it's phenominal) Saving Private Ryan Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition Die Hard: 5 Star Collection The Red Violin These are a few of my favorites as well as reference quality for channel separation and overall sound on my set-up. ------------------ You bought fish boots...

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   ErikG

ErikG

Screenwriter

• 2,545 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 11:39 AM

I agree with T2, Saving Private Ryan, and Die Hard 5-Star Edition.....but don't forget U571.....possibly the best of the bunch.
No shirt
No shoes
NOO dice!

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 12:01 PM

1) Antz DTS 2) The Haunting DTS 3) Dragonheart DTS

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 03:01 PM

Steely Dan: Two Against Nature DTS The Caveman's Valentine (one of my new favorite DTS discs) and I have to second The Red Violin (because that is a beautiful soundtrack)

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 03:11 PM

Also if you buy the Close Encounter..... and Unbreakable discs use the DTS track,these are sourced from a different master IMO and I preffered it to the DD. ------------------ "You Hungarians always disagree"

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert G

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 11:30 PM

The recommendations given so far are top notch and will not disappoint. I also like Dances With Wolves in DTS. And sort of on topic. Does anyone have a list of full bit rate DTS discs? ------------------

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 11:41 PM

Titan A.E. is very popular. Don't miss out on Se7en, Emperor's New Groove, Pitch Black, Bring it On, Cast Away, GalaxyQuest, and Meeting People is Easy.

Pieter

------------------
"Too late, I'm in the 40's, gotta go around the horn... it's faster!"

BoomRoom

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,146 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 13 2001 - 06:55 AM

I would also suggest checking your system out for music. The DTS CD of Dave Grusin's West Side Story arrangements is a good one with which to do this. Regards, ------------------ Ken McAlinden Livonia, MI USA
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Ivan Luk

Ivan Luk

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 12:33 PM

Don't forget Gladiator! Posted Image

------------------

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Thomas B

Thomas B

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 05:54 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. I shall definitely check out some of those titles! Not having heard DTS yet, I must say . . . if it beats Dolby Digital, hen DTS must REALLY ROCK!

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 06:07 PM

[quote]

I must say . . . if it beats Dolby Digital, hen DTS must REALLY ROCK!

[quote]

HA! I am a big DTS fan, but no one ain't beating Dolby Digital. There is no need for a versus between the two. Each one does what it's supposed to do.

I for one, was disappointed with the DTS tracks on the Warner DVDs. Lack of bass on Lethal Weapons.

Also, have you heard Lost In Space? Sheesh. It's amazing how DD is encoded with only 448ks and manages to give DTS 754ks a run for the money!!!

P.S: It is to my understanding, that when DTS does retro flicks, that the difference is very opaque. Now, Independence Day, which was released with Dolby Surround in theaters, Dolby blew the roof with 5.1 sound!

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 06:17 PM

Get the DTS #4 demo DVD. It has excerpts from Antz, The Haunting, Saving Private Ryan, Hotel California from the The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over, Sheryl Crow and Roy OrbisonPosted Imageretty Woman. This allows you to sample various DTS audio quickly.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   James Herrod

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 07:08 PM

I know Saving Private Ryan was mentioned earlier, but just an added commemt. I think it was and is still the mother of all DTS soundtracks. If you're going to get just one DTS disc right away, run and get this one and then hold on to your butt.

------------------
Jim Herrod Posted Image

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Derek J

Derek J

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 08:27 PM

I haven't started to build a DTS movie collection but for concert DVD's in DTS then I have to agree with everyone that The Eagles Hell Freezes Over is probably the best out there. I also just bought Santana Supernatural and it is impressive but not as clear as The Eagles DVD. Next on my list is the Steeley Dan DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users