Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help in blocking "link" ads

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   David Baranyi

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 03:52 PM

I am new to this forum, and I hope that I am posting in the right place. I know how to block pop-up, pop-under and banner ads (I use Mozilla to do that), but in the last several weeks I noticed a new type of ad, one that I could not block. These ads are called "link" ads where several websites can advertise under one text banner. They are the creation of Google and Tribalfusion. Since forum rules does not allow links on posts, please look at dictionary.com for examples. Unlike other ads seen through the years, the link ads have no graphics so I could not block the server where the they originated from. They are made of HTML tags. What I know about these ads is that they are JavaScript generated, which means that if I disable JavaScript on my browser, I will completely eliminate them. However, disabling JavaScript will also disable friendly JavaScript functions. I hate ads regardless if they are pop-ups, pop-unders, interstiles, middle of a page, and text, so can anyone help me on blocking these link ads?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 06:27 PM

I'm using Win2k so your mileage may vary. Find the file "hosts" in the "etc" directory on your system. Mine is "C:winntsystem32driversetchosts". Edit the hosts file and add the line "127.0.0.1 a.tribalfusion.com", without the quotes. This will remap all references to a.tribalfusion.com to your local machine where no ad content will be found. I just tried it on the dictionary.com page and it worked fine. If there are multiple sources for the javascript that creates the ads you'll have to put additional lines in your hosts file to cover those sources as well.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   David Baranyi

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 05:43 AM

Thank you Jay for your help. I tried it and it blocks the link ads from Tribalfusion. The method also works against pagead2.googlesyndication.com, which is also known to use link ads. If I annoyed with "link" ads, what will advertisers think of next? Interstile (a page that appears between the original page and its destination) ads on every link?

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 05:51 AM

Seems like it would be easier to just ignore the ads. Posted Image

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted August 25 2003 - 04:35 PM

[quote] Seems like it would be easier to just ignore the ads. [quote] One site I go to has a problem that causes my browser to crash. Blocking them using the hosts file trick fixed the problem.

I would only block ads when they are really annoying (Just an innocent banner at the top of a page is no problem to me) or when they crash my computer!
My DVDs | My Equipment
No OAR = No Sale!
If you don't want black bars, then you don't want DVD!

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 08:19 AM

The latest Google Toolbar had a built in PopUp blocker that works great. Since I installed it GoogleToolbar has blocked over 650 pop ups and unders from this computer!
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   James~P

James~P

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 08:38 AM

you can use a great little proxy tool calle "Proximatron" its a 99.999999% effective pop up filter, it stops GIF animations, those link ads, and banner adds.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   David Baranyi

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 08:57 AM

James, where can I get Proximatron?

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   James~P

James~P

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 10:51 AM

http://home.arcor.de/six/