What's new

The Ring: Unrated Edition??? (1 Viewer)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
According to darkhorizons.com an "unrated edition" of The Ring (remake) is scheduled for 10/7, but that seems a little soon to me if this rumor were true. The previous release did not have many extras, so maybe this is the DVD re-release that many anticipated.

Even if this rumor were true there is a strong possibility that the unrated footage could only be 1-2 minutes long...

EDIT: Here is the complete listing of dates:

Some US disc dates have just come through - "Dreamcatcher" on 9/30, "The Ring: Unrated Editon" on 10/7, "Hulk" on 10/28, "Legally Blonde II" on 11/4, "X2" on 11/25, "Uptown Girls" on 12/2, "Bad Boys II" on 12/9/03, "Seabiscuit" on 12/16, "American Wedding" on 12/30, and "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" on 1/20/04.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Ring doesn't contain much explicit content (it's PG13), so why would there be an "unrated" cut? Wouldn't it be rereated R, like the Pearl Harbor directors cut?

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
technically, they could have added footage, not submitted it to the MPAA and then it would be unrated...publicity stunt? ;)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Well isn't Charlies Angels 2 getting an unrated DVD release while it was PG-13 theatrically? Not sure though since I have no interest in that film...

Apparently several of the scenes in The Ring were originally much more graphic, but edited to obtain the PG-13 rating (the well, the bath tub).

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
The original cut of The Ring was originally Rated R... The studio tamed it down to PG-13 before the release...

Although, I dont know what the Unrated version means...

There is a whole subplot that revolves around a serial killer that was cut out... That has something to do with how the movie begins and with how it ends in the original cut...

There is also an interesting subplot involving who they give the tape to at the end of the movie and why...

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Anyway, I think I'll have to wait and see what other features there are and the extent of the new scenes are before I double dip, no matter how much I loved this film.

-paul

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Actually in the extended ending...
Watts gives the tape to Chris Cooper, who is not present in the current cut of the film or the deleted scenes on the DVD.

I think Ryan was pretty much saying the same thing.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Chris Cooper?
Huh? Is the ending going to be an all-star cameo extravaganza? Didn't think they'd cut an actor of his caliber.

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
Explination of the Chris Cooper character:
Chris Cooper played the Serial killer mentioned above (whom Watts' character had interviewed for her newspaper job) and gives him the tape at the end.

I would have H-A-T-E-D this tidy "see everything is going to be ok , they passed it off to a bad guy" ending. I didnt even like the (alternate) video store ending. The ambuigity of the end of the theatrical version was perfect!
That said, besides the above I would LOVE to see a more graphic cut!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Universal's business website does not list The Ring as being reissued on October 7, but a number of other horror titles are being released that day. The Ring is being released in a special low-priced 2-pack with In Dreams on October 28, so I think Dark Horizons is incorrect.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think on another forum (I think DVDTalk), someone contacted Dreamworks and they said it was just a rumor.

Martin_T

Stunt Coordinator
I think on another forum (I think DVDTalk), someone contacted Dreamworks and they said it was just a rumor.
A pity that this is only a rumor. I really enjoyed this movie, and I would be glad to buy a Unrated Special Edition on this one if it was done right.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I heard that the R2 version was supposed to have hours of cast and crew interviews. Has anyone seen the disc yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks