-

Photo
- - - - -

Screen / Center Channel question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Brooks

Brooks

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 12:07 PM

I'm to the point of installing my in-wall speakers in my HT and need to decide on a screen. It's a front projector set up
I can have the center channel slightly off-center left to right and above the screen. It's tweeter is "focusable" to aim it at the seating area. In this configuration I can use a retractable screen

OR I can spend more $$ for a permanent mounted micro-perf screen.
In that case I can have the cc exactly in the middle of the screen at seated listening height.

Aesthetically I prefer the former. Any experience with how much better the sound location will be with the latter?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

• 986 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 02:25 PM

actually, it is better acoustically to have the center slightly off center than to have it exactly centered, left to right. additionally, micro-perf screens are certainly less desireable both audio and video wise than a non-perf screen, video can be especially affected with a digital projector. looks like your prefered choice is, performance wise, the better choice.Posted Image

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 03:43 AM

Why is it better, acoustically, not to have the speaker centered? Given that sounds become more directional as the frequency increases, I would think that having the center 'centered' would be most desireable.

RG

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,339 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 04:41 AM

Is it not possible to have the centre speaker above or velow the retractable screen? I agree that the perf screen may introduce some aliasing with some digital projectors.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"