What's new

M Night Shyamalan "The Woods" lets discuss (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
CAST:

Cast (in credits order)

Joaquin Phoenix
Bryce Howard
William Hurt
Sigourney Weaver .... Alice
Adrien Brody

Plot Outline: Set in 1897, "The Woods" tells the story of a close-knit community with a mythical race of creatures residing in the woods around them.

Sounds like something awesome can come out of this, although I am not a big Sigourney fan.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I'm looking forward to this one. The plot sounds like something out of Lovecraft. I hope Night has James Newton Howard do the soundtrack again. Who am I kidding, of course he will! :)

BobV

Second Unit
Yes, excellent cast... Adrien Brody and Joaquin Phoenix in the same movie? What, are you kidding me... I am so there.

The only issue I have is William Hurt. I dunno, I just do not like his acting. I find it... mmm.. slightly wooden, I guess you would say. He seems out of sorts stylistically with the others mentioned. That may add to the movie's character though I guess.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Bob, if someone can make good use of Hurt's style of acting, I would think it's M. Night. :D

BTW, I loved him in Dark City - that's another case where the director used Hurt perfectly, IMO.

Kami

Screenwriter
Wow, this just went on my most anticipated list. Can't wait for a teaser.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
It sounds awesome! I will be a bit timid after having the daylights scared out of me by Signs. Amazing after a lifetime of Friday the 13ths, Nightmares, Wes Craven films, etc., nothing affected me as much as Signs did. I must say he is amazing.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
The plot sounds like something out of Lovecraft
I was thinking the same thing.

The tidbits I've read remind me alot of "whisperer in the darkness". I think evil dead was loosely based on it, though I don't expect this movie to be anything like Evil Dead.. :)

-Nick

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Any speculation of what these mythical creatures will be doing? Attacking or eating the town?

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Is this scheduled for release in 2003?

Either way, I really like the idea for the story. Sounds great.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ben Osborne wrote (post #2):

The detail-light summation recalls one of Lovecraft's older contemporaries and acknowledged greatest influences, the author and fantasist, Arthur Machen
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Machen, at least as much as Lovecraft himself. In stories such as "The Novel of the Black Powder", "The Children of the Pool", "The White People", and others, he wrote about the horrific aspects of traditional Welsh "fairy lore", magic, and sorcery.

When his characters meet the "little people", they aren't comical little "leprechauns" or gossamer-winged little pink, blond girls. They are monstrous and malevolent beings of another world that intersects with ours, in the depths of the Welsh wilderness. Lovecraft understood.

If you like this sort of thing, and would like to sample a piece of Machen's work, his eerie little tale "The White People" is currently posted and readable on line.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Night is one of the few guys who keeps coming up with new stuff. I am so there it's not even funny. He is 3 for 3 so far and I hope many more to go.

I read the Woods entry on imdb a couple of weeks ago, and just the summary gave me goosebumps.

--
Holadem

If all those actors aren't enough to grab attention, one of the producers for The Woods is Sam Mercer who is Executive producing Van Helsing. Production on this movie is going to be outstanding! :b

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks