What's new

Thoughts & Opinions on Panasonic PT-47WX52 (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I'm highly considering getting the PT-47WX52 and would like some thoughts and opinions on this model. It will be going into an Apartment Living room that is approximately 13W x 18L x 8H. Seating position will be about 6-7' away.

This set seems to have the features I want and I've always liked Panasonics, I've got a 27" Panny right now that was top of the line when I bought it and I love the picture on it but its time to delve into an HDTV set.

Any help opinions and thoguths would be nice.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's a very popular among HTF members, Jeremy, and for good reason. Try running a search in this section to get a sampling of opinions.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

A very nice set that calibrates very well ... resulting in one of the best looking images out there in the rptv realm.

No outstanding bad issues aside from the "POP" colour shift issue ... which apparently still occurs on some units.

Regards

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Yeah I did a search and read some threads about the "pop", the other thing of course is I pretty much would like to have it ISF calibrated when I get it.

One thing of concern I had about this set is that on Panasonic's site as well as all retailers I've looked at they all specify that its 480i/p,1080i compatible, does this mean that it will not display 720p?? or is it that if its 1080i capable then it will do all other formats as well aside from 1080p of course.

Other than that from the stuff I've read on here so far sounds like a sure thing, the 3 main things I'd be using on it would be of course a Motorola DCT-5100, Gamecube and a progressive dvd to be determined later but for now a Toshiba 2815 Non Prog. dvd player.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
With the newer Panny sets they have stopped painting the interior cabinets black. This lack of paint will effect the quality of the image. If you are considering this set, you should definitely consider lining the cabinet with duvetyne.

regards

gregg

As of Monday (maybe earlier), Panasonic removed the 720p listing from all their sets that had them. Including this one, the 53WX53. I will be buying the 53WX53 even though it won't display this.

I'm not sure there's a better TV for the money. At 47 inches, it's a great TV.

Rich

Matt Lee

Agent
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a PT-47WX53 myself. The one time I got alone with one in a store long enough to do the 9 point convergence, it looked GREAT. So I figure once I calibrate it with Digital Video Essentials, and maybe a little later do the service level convergence, it'll be great. Then maybe 6 months to a year down the road, once I've recovered from buying the TV itself, maybe get it ISF calibrated, Duvetyne lining, etc.

The "evil pop" is the ONLY real negative I've come accross reading about this set, and if it happens (it supposedly generally occurs during break-in) I'll probably just have the store replace my set. Hoping it just doesn't happen though.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, I would recommend the PT-47WX53 over the PT-47WX52 for three good reasons. First the 53 model has a DVI-HDCP input which is the only type of connection the studio's want on HD-DVD. Second is that the newer model allows the individual inputs to have their own video settings. Third the newer model is $200 less than the older model.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to probably buy the PT-47WX53 tommorrow. I currently have the Samsung PLK40W, and have had it for over two years. It's just too small for me, and it doesn't do progressive scan. Plus, I've never been satisfied with the black levels because it is LCD. I'll let everyone know what I think of the PT-47WX53 if I end up purchasing.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the PT-47WX53 at Circuit City on Saturday, and it was delivered late yesterday afternoon. I let it warm up for a couple of hours with an anamorphic DVD, and then used Avia. I watched bits of THE PHANTOM MENACE, GLADIATOR, ATTACK OF THE CLONES and SPIDER-MAN. For the most part, it looked great, and I haven't even done convergence yet. The only DVD that looked mediocre at times was SPIDER-MAN during the night scenes. The rest looked spectacular, much better than anything I have ever owned. A friend stopped by this afternoon and I showed him the last half hour of AOTC, and he said it looked better to him than it did in the theater.
So far, I'm a very happy owner of this set, and would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I have to agree w/ Greg. Last year's Panasonic had a different black level (better). I tried to calibrate (Avia)the one in our sideroom and the brightness was just always bad. After calibrating it looked worse in black level then any tv. It was a blue level. Unless your getting it ISF-ed I'd reconsider.

Adam Hood

Auditioning
I know what adil is talking about, and it isnt that common of a problem. At Best Buy, where i work, when we put out our Panny pt-53wx53, it had a blue background when you put the color setting on cool. When it was on normal or warm it wasn't there. I'm still waiting on an explaination from my service tech as to what's wrong with it. But other then that it's a great set and has come along ways in the 2 years that I've been selling them.
The main features between the 42 and the 53 (models last year and this year respectively) is that the 53wx53 has a built in screen shield, while the 53wx42 model did not. Also the current model panny has a DVI input.

Have you considered the Toshiba 51h83 for the same price?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
After calibrating it looked worse in black level then any tv. It was a blue level.
After using Avia, the black levels on my Panny were great. It may be that I'm just used to the less than stellar black levels on the Samsung LCD I was using before, but this one has the best black levels of any television I've ever owned. Before the Samsung, I had a 31" Pro-Scan, and this television has better blacks than that one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks