What's new

Queer as Folk DVDs (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
M'kay...I just got done trying to weed through some of the spoilers in the QAF Season 1 thread, and decided after the first page that it could not be done. I just wanted to know what the general conclusions were about the show. I know there were some skeptics in the beginning, but what do you all think now? I've seen one episode (season 1: ep. 2), and really enjoyed it. Do you all think this series is worth buying on DVD? Is it worth getting into? Thanks!

Rob

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I thought Season 1 was OK, but season 2 quickly became repetitive and fell into bad soap opera territory with some of the main characters (particularly Michael) becomming truly annoying. I haven't watched Season 3 as a result. Both DVD sets are pretty good, though. Also, the UK versions are being re-released in the UK in September with anamorphic transfers, audio commentaries and other extras next month. The UK version is still the one to watch, in my opinion, if you've seen neither version.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Absolutely! It's a wonderful show. Since you don't even have the first season, let me say that I've seen all three seasons, and I much prefer the first too the last two. In the first season, there were plenty of stories to tell, but as the seasons went along, it seemed like they had run out of ideas, and just churned out episode after episode for the sake of it.

Although, season three is VERY short. Both seasons 1 & 2 had around 22-24 episodes each, but season three only had 14 episodes I think. I heard from a friend that it was because the actors wanted to go on to other projects and not work on QAF all the time. I have no idea if this is true, but it seems like they have nothing left to tell (storywise). I hope they don't go for a 4th season.

If you're going to buy the seasons, I would start off with season 1, of course, and get season 2 as well. As for season 3....Well....um.....Since it's so short, it'll probably cheap enough, that if you buy it, and hate it, at least you didn't spend too much money on it. That is, when it comes out to buy. (It's not on DVD yet).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm still a fan of QAF.

I think season 1 was good. Not great, but good. I think the series was best because of it's newness. The characters were interesting.

Season 2 was not great at all. They'd grown to comfortable with success and turned in a season that was mediocre at best. The highlight of the season is the introduction of Ben, Michael's partner.

Season 3 is where I think the series comes into it's own. It's where everything that should have been since season 1 comes to pass. The stories are better, the characters more fleshed out, the overall quality increased.

Season 3 is by far the best season, and well worth anyone's time. I can't wait for season 4.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Season one is 22 episodes.
Season two is 20 episodes.
Season three is 14 episodes.

I'm fairly confident that Showtime decided "less is more" with QAF. HBO was having greater success with 13 episodes of Six Feet Under, so they tried the same with QAF.

Near as I can tell, they maintained the 20 episode budget, but only shot 14 episodes. As a result the production quality and the writing quality increased dramatically. The pacing was much improved.

Even the music was much improved for season 3.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Yes, it's worth it! I own Seasons 1 and 2 and love them. I will purchase Season 3 when available, even with the mixed comments. Michael CAN be a bit annoying as the show progresses, but I mainly enjoy Brian and Justin's complex relationship. I also think Emmett is such a sweetheart.

I HAVE seen Season 1 of the UK version, but I prefer the Showtime series, probably partly because that came first in my viewing. After becoming accustomed to Gale Harold's Kinney, I just couldn't adjust to Aiden Gillen in the equivalent role -- sorry, he's just not attractive or charismatic enough. (Though Charlie Hunnam is well suited for Nathan. )

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm particularly partial to the Showtime series for one simple reason: I can actually understand what the actors are saying at any given time. I wouldn't have a problem with the original version if the discs had subtitles or captions on them. As it is, they don't, which makes watching the original a chore.

I actually enjoyed season 2 better than 1 because:

Ben
Ethan
Pride
Bowling
Rage
Much more coverage of Lindsey and Mel
That STUPIDLY hilarious "how to" video for the attic

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Season I was great and worth purchasing IMHO, the conclusion was

one of the most shocking and incredible finales I have ever seen for a TV show

Season 2 is worth watching and had some highlights (Shickle's Pickles) but it was rather bland overall.

Haven't gotten to season 3 yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks