What's new

Weekly Roundup 8/19 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It's showtime! (quote from All That Jazz)

[c] [/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo__SamsClb
All That Jazz_____________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Apollo 11: Men/Moon_______$37.49__$45.99__$39.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Apollo 8: Leaving/Cradle__$37.49__$49.99__$39.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Bowling For Columbine_____$20.23__$16.99__$19.99__$19.99__$17.99__$17.48
Chicago - Widescreen______$19.45__$15.99__$15.99__$_"LP"__$17.99__$18.27
Convoy____________________$11.21__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Cover Girl________________$18.71__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Day of the Dead - Divamax_$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Final Countdown_______$11.21__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Hello, Dolly!_____________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Kid Stays In The Picture__$20.96__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Lair of the White Worm____$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Memoirs/Invisible Man_____$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Mighty Saturns________$37.49__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Mucha Lucha: Heart/Lucha__$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
NL's Vacation -Widescreen_$14.99__$14.99__$12.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
NYPD Blue - Season 2______$44.99__$45.99__$45.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Project Gemini____________$37.49__$_N/A___$39.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Roger & Me________________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Rose__________________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Roughnecks: Zephyr Camp.__$18.71__$22.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Sabrina the Teenage Witch_$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
See No Evil_______________$18.71__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Simon & Garfunkel: Ctl Pk_$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Spacecraft Films Wave 1___$127.48_$169.99_$169.98_$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
What's New Scooby Doo? V1_$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]

* BE CAREFUL! Chicago is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* BE CAREFUL-ER! Convoy and The Final Countdown are included on this Roundup "just in case". In case of what? "In case they are decent releases!" I really don't think these will be worth buying, as they are both from Triumph, which is another arm of Pacific Family Entertainment (PFE). That is the company that put out a disaterous release of The Final Countdown last year. Will this re-release be any better, or just a rehash of the same one? Will Convoy be decent, or more like Final Countdown? I FOR ONE AM GOING TO WAIT AND SEE! The folks at The Digital Bits seem to be following this very closely. And they are picky people. If they get copies and say they are worth owning, then I'll take the dive. And only then. I recommend you all wait and see, too. Someone in-the-know has posted in the software section of HTF that these guys at PFE/Triumph do not legitimately own these films, that these are essentially bootlegs, and insinuate that the actually rights-holders for The Final Countdown have a version on the way that is "going to surprise" us all. Waiting sounds better and better.

* Non-OAR discs are left off the Roundup, whenever they've been identified in advance. Examples: Killing Mr. Griffin, Repossessed, The Spring. This does NOT apply to markdowns, which are simply cut-and-paste from other lists.

* I've heard a rumor that Toys R Us, of all places, is selling Chicago for $15.99 (same price as Best Buy and/or Circuit City). No sure they would have many (or any) copies of the OAR version, but if they're near you then check them out.

* Circuit City will give you a free CD Single with purchase of Chicago. No telling what the song is, but it's from the film...but also probably not on the soundtrack, because purchase of the soundtrack gets you the same bonus CD Single. Perhaps the song "Class", that was deleted from the film and added back into it for the DVD? Maybe...

* If you want a CD, though, Best Buy will simply sell you both the DVD and CD for Chicago together for $20. Not bad.

* Best Buy seems to be breaking street date - apparently with official sanction. The street date for both ER - The Complete First Season and Mr. Show - The Complete Third Season is August 26th, but Best Buy is advertising them for *this* week (8/19) for $44.99 (ER) and $27.99 (Mr. Show).

* Finally, Best Buy will take $15 off the total if you buy both Season 1 and Season 2 of NYPD Blue at the same time.

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:
-------------------------
EFFECTIVE 8.19.03
Columbia Half Past Dead 19.95
DreamWorks Catch Me If You Can, The Ring, Road to Perdition, Saving Private Ryan 19.95

The latest markdowns according to other sources:
-------------------------
April Fool's Day $14.99
The Brotherhood $14.99
Cabaret $19.98
Changing Lanes $19.99
The Commitments $14.99
Don't Look Now $14.99
The Duellists $14.99
DVD Dance Pack (SNF/Grease/Fd/Fl/UC) $69.99
An Eye For An Eye $14.99
The Fast And The Furious - Tricked-Out Edition $19.98
Flashback $14.99
Flashdance $14.99
Flesh And Bone $14.99
Footloose $19.99
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood $14.99
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan $14.99
Fright Night Part 2 $14.99
The Gambler (James Caan) $14.99
Hey Arnold! The Movie $19.99
Indecent Proposal $14.99
Jack Frost $14.98
K-19 The Widowmaker $19.99
Mad Monster Party $14.98
My Bloody Valentine $14.99
Red Dragon - Collector's Edition $19.98
Saturday Night Fever $19.99
Serpico $19.99
Silver Bullet $19.99
Staying Alive $14.99
The Temp $14.99
Thief of Hearts $14.99
Tom Cruise Action Pack (TG/DoT/MI) $49.97
Travolta Collection (SNF/Grease/UC) $44.95
War and Peace (Hepburn) $14.99
We Were Soldiers ($19.99)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That's no rumor on the TRU price for Chicago - it's in my ad for that price (a sale on their regular $19.99 price). They even have the WIDESCREEN edition pictured in the ad. :emoji_thumbsup:

As for CC's free CD single w/ Chicago, according to my ad it's an unreleased dance remix of "All That Jazz."

Thanks, as always, for the Roundup Dave. Just the Michael Moore discs for me this week (though I'm disappointed the follow-up short film "Pets or Meat" isn't included on the Roger & Me disc). I'm holding off on the Vacation SE until the box set of all 4 is released in the fall.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

If this is true, why wouldn't the legit rights holders be suing PFE/Triumph to stop these releases? If this is a legit corporation actually releasing bootlegs, I'd think Jack Valenti would be all over them.

Jumping back a couple Round-Ups, has anyone found any of the "Critters" films at Best Buy? I've been checking my store weekly since release date and have found none of them.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Thanks, as always, for the Roundup Dave. Just the Michael Moore discs for me this week. I'm holding off on the Vacation SE until the box set of all 4 is released in the fall.
Same sentiments here.

Wish BB would have done some deal if you purchase both Roger & Me and Bowling For Columbine on the same ticket...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Malcom, read Damin's post for yourself about "why not a lawsuit?".

As for Critters, I found 3 different Best Buy stores I was at (one 4 hours from home, while I was on vacation) had each recieved 1 single copy of each film. If someone grabbed all 4 DVDs, then you're outa luck until a replenishment.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Jeez. You expect me to look outside the Round-Up for information? :D

I still say if this is an American company releasing known bootlegs and selling them via legitimate distribution channels, Jack Valenti and the MPAA should be all over them. Mr. V is forever shooting his mouth off about how bad piracy is, and here's an actual American business flouting copyright law and no one at the MPAA is willing to do anything to support the actual copyright holders?

(thanks for the link, BTW). :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No mention of Cabaret SE, has this been postponed?
Well, this is the Cabaret box that was released 4/98:

And the same disc is being re-released this Tuesday in this box:

Both SKUs are being sold for $19.98 now, instead of the $24.99 it was priced at previously. Warner does NOT list it as a new release, and the features are identical.

If you look at the "Markdowns from other sources" list at the bottom of the Roundup, I include it in there. It seemed the best place to put it.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Any word on who will have the best deal for The Good Thief?
I think Best Buy is supposed to have it for $19.99, but I don't know about the rest.

I will probably rent The Good Thief along with Chicago and Bowling for Columbine.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I WANT - Vacation, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Day of the Dead, Bowling for Columbine, and Roger and Me.

I will probably skip Vacation and Memoirs, tho.

Has anyone heard any rumors if ROGER AND ME will include the PETS OR MEAT followup docu? It's not listed anywhere as being a feature but it might be an easter egg. Seems foolish not to include it. At only an hour's length it wouldn't justify it's own release. Fortunately I have it on videotape from a PBS aiing many years ago...

-paul

TimJS

Second Unit
File this under 'your mileage may vary' dept...

I picked up Bogdanovich's Targets for $5.99 at Best Buy on Sat. It rang up full price but when I pointed out the sticker, the cashier manually rang it up for $5.99.

Also had a similiar deal the other week on Donna Summer's Deluxe edition of Bad Girls for $9.99. Normally these two disk Deluxe editions retail for $25 - $30 bucks. This time a manager did the over-ride so assume it was legit.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks