Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can I use progressive scan dvd...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Dave Borgman

Dave Borgman

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted August 17 2003 - 04:56 AM

player on a Sony KV36FS100 standard definition TV? I think i read somewhere that you couldn't but I am not sure. Just wondering because Best Buy has a polaroid dvd recorder for 399 and it is progressive scan.

Thanks
Dave

#2 of 6 Josh Q S

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 17 2003 - 05:42 AM

You can turn progressive scan on or off. If you have a standard, non-progressive TV (interlaced) you won't notice any difference, providing the TV doesn't reject the progressive signal.
-Josh Q S

#3 of 6 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted August 17 2003 - 08:44 AM

That tv won't display a progressive scan input, but you can turn off progressive scan on the dvd recorder so that's not a problem.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#4 of 6 Dave Borgman

Dave Borgman

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted August 17 2003 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the answers. So with progressive scanned turned off the display will be just like the normal DVD player I have now? (which is pretty good I think). Will I have any problem getting to the menu on the DVD player to turn progressive scan off? Or is the menu just interlaced and its not progressive until you hit play?

Thanks again,

Dave

#5 of 6 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 17 2003 - 01:37 PM

You can toggle between progressive scan and interlaced either via a switch on the chassis and/or in the player's set-up menu.

#6 of 6 RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 04:23 AM

Just one word of caution. If the recorder's progressive mode is set through a setup menu, DON'T SET IT TO PROGRESSIVE MODE even just to "see what happens." I know of people who have done so, and they can't then see how to reverse it. One friend had this happen and had to take the DVD player to my house to connect it to my HDTV and change the settings back to interlaced mode.

SMK