Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Is Day Of The Dead :SE worth a blind buy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted August 16 2003 - 12:25 PM

I was wondering how this movie is. The specs look outstanding. And I do enjoy the NOTLD movies. Thanks for your opioun. Eric
MY DVD'S

May the Force be with you

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted August 16 2003 - 12:39 PM

Absolutely. The afforementioned dubbing problems (6 total) won't even be noticed if you haven't seen the film. That's all I'm going to say about the dubbing, since it's mention brings flame wars galore. The transfer is among the best, the audio is great, and the extras are awesome. Definitely get it.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 05:22 AM

Got my copy yesterday and it is definately a good buy. Like it was mentioned above, I didn't notice the audio dubs at all. The film transfer is great and the extras are awesome. Get the disc, you won't be disappointed.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 10:05 AM

I'm in the minority, but it was my favorite of the whole series. Go for it!

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 01:49 PM

I'll keep the San Diego thing going here.

I think it is worth it for the $15- it can be had for.

The only thing I am not happy about is Anchor Bay is going the digi-pack route for all of thier 2 disc DVDs now. When will these studios learn that most sollectors want Keepcases. (I am speaking for myself here)

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
The only thing I am not happy about is Anchor Bay is going the digi-pack route for all of thier 2 disc DVDs now.

I think it's a little early to assume that. Halloween was released this month and was a double Amaray.

-Lyle J.P.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Sean*O

Sean*O

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 10:41 AM

It was OK, but nowhere near Dawn of the Dead IMHO.

Just a bit of a snore for the 1st hour. More action, or suspense/horror would have been nice. Instead, most of the 1st hour is spent watching some truly rotton actors throwing tantrums and hissy-fits & being as ubnoxious as possible to each other. In fact, it seemed that the living humans were made more of a menace toward each other than the dead folks were towards them.

Great looking transfer though.. really RED blood, and even in the correct shade of red (unlike the orange-ish hued blood seen in some other zombie flicks.)

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 05:35 AM

I think that was the twist in this one that made it interesting.... we're supposed to feel sympathetic for the ZOMBIES this time instead of the humans. Especially Bub. Posted Image

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   JayF

JayF

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 06:58 AM

I'd hold out as a blind purchase and rent it first. I doubt it's a movie you'll want to visit again and again. I'm a fan of Romero and Night & Dawn, but this one pretty much blows. I'm sure I'm in the minority, especially on this forum, but this is a BAD movie.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Ron Boster

Ron Boster

Screenwriter

• 1,151 posts

Posted August 22 2003 - 01:04 AM

Jay:

I couldn't agree more. I bought as a blind buy....IMHO, bad (over)acting, cringe worthy dialogue, and that dated music score....god awful. I had to laugh at the actor who played the doctor's boyfriend.....could he have been any less masculine? If this was suppose to be tongue-in-cheek like Re-animator, I'd have bought into it.

Again, this is one person's opinion on what has been a very popular movie, with a strong following.

Ron

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,713 posts

Posted August 22 2003 - 01:38 AM

DAY is a tense, angry, and yes sometimes over-the-top film. However, it's immensely enjoyable. Each of the films in the trilogy are their own animals, so some folks who liked the other two didn't like DAY, but I think it's a really good film in its own right and has been unjustly maligned over the years. If you like the Zombie film genre, then DAY is one of the best.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted August 22 2003 - 01:39 PM

I think it's a little early to assume that. Halloween was released this month and was a double Amaray.

Maybe not all of them but they are doing digipacks for some that I have recently gotten:

The Complet Musketeers
The Hulk set
Dead and Buried
Day of the dead
Near Dark

I hope this trend does not continue.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted August 23 2003 - 10:09 AM

I love the film. Certainly distinguishes itself from the other "dead" films, but I must admit I love it. The broad anger I found to be a stylized representation of what would happen when humans begin to turn on each other. I can see how it would turn off some folks.

Favorite cringe-inducing, horrifying moment...

...when a character gets his head ripped off and the scream rises in pitch, as if to emulate the vocal cords expanding and severing.

Wow...!

While I was originally critical of the musical score, I honestly cannot think of DOTD without it now. No Goblin, no library music. John Harrison's score has settled in my mind as DOTD's musical feel. Some folks feel otherwise, but that's just me!

Cheers,

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark_Paul

Mark_Paul

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted August 23 2003 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
In fact, it seemed that the living humans were made more of a menace toward each other than the dead folks were towards them.

Well, that is a deliberate theme.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted August 23 2003 - 02:34 PM

I purchased it on release day, having not seen the film before, and I am glad to have seen it, and I'm glad that I own the film, but I can't say that it's something that I would recommend to just anyone. Fans of the trilogy should see it, but beyond that it's kind of a tough call.

Dawn of the Dead is still, by far, my favorite installment in the series.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Topher

Topher

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted August 23 2003 - 04:05 PM

Yes, if you like zombie movies, or are remotely interested in anything like this.
I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Sean*O

Sean*O

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted August 23 2003 - 08:10 PM

Quote:
Well, that is a deliberate theme.

It is called "Day of the Dead" Right? Not "Day of the Paranoid-Schizo Soldiers"

Having also never seen this movie until I bought it blind on DVD myself, I certainly had no idea about this 'deliberate theme' as you say.. All I knew was I was looking for some more Zombie action like the two previous George Romero "Dead" flicks.

Since the original topic was about making a blind purchase, I felt it may be pertinent to point out that Zombies or "The Dead" were arguably not the central antagonists of the movie.

This movie does differ from the Night of the living dead, and Dawn of the dead in that respect. I thought it was worth pointing out.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted August 24 2003 - 02:02 AM

Quote:
All I knew was I was looking for some more Zombie action like the two previous George Romero "Dead" flicks.

Since the original topic was about making a blind purchase, I felt it may be pertinent to point out that Zombies or "The Dead" were arguably not the central antagonists of the movie.

Well, NOTLD certainly has its fair share of lengthy moments of characters turning on themselves and acting in a generally grating fashion in a claustrophobic environment. It certainly isn't the parade of Zombies that Dawn offers.

And it is certainly arguable that humans - and not the dead - are the central antagonists of all three films. IMHO that's what raises Romero's trilogy above other Zombie action films. They're character dramas disguised as horror films.

Cheers,

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted August 24 2003 - 08:35 AM

Well guys I got it from DDD but have not opened it yet. I called Blockbuster exspecting them to say no we don't have it but to my surprize they had it for rent and to buy. So next weekend I will rent it before I open my copy I got from DDD. THANKS for all the help.
Eric

MY DVD'S

May the Force be with you

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted August 25 2003 - 05:34 AM

It is interesting to note that, as told in the extras on Disc 2, there was supposed to be a lot more interaction with the Zombies in the original script. There were jungle fighting scenes with the people being attacked by the zombies and such. Those scenes were deleted because of cost constraints.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow