What's new

Need Suggestion's on speaker package (1 Viewer)

nagesh

Grip
Hi,
I am looking for complete home theater package. Since, I am a student and I dont want to spend more than $150, It sounds weird as all the good speakers are much above that range, But still i am ready to buy those open box deals. I own a Denon AVR-1603 Receiver. I looked for this Audio-source speaker deals ($60) at onecall.com but it sound pretty cheap and I never heard of this company even. Anyway, I am looking for a decent speaker system which can match my Receiver.
:) - Reasonably priced,Good quality sound,Durability.
I would really appreciate for your Precious Advice.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
nagesh, is that Rolla, MO? I live right up the road in St. Louis if it is. Anyway, you're going to be pretty hard pressed to buy 2 decent fronts for $150, let alone a 5.1 system. I think the best advice I could give you would be to piecemeal a speaker system together. Start out with some decent bookshelf's for fronts, like some of the smaller NHT's (SuperZero, SB1, SB2, etc.) Then in about 6 months try to add the center, then add the rears, then try to round it out with an affordable sub. This way in about a year and a half you could have a decent little speaker setup. Also, check out www.audiogon.com for demo and used equipment, along with good old ebay. Whatever you do, don't buy any of those HTIB's. It seems like you got a good entry level receiver, so you should be set there.

nagesh

Grip
hi jon,
Kewl, Yeah I am from Rolla-MO & Thanks for your advice. The problem is I am a student and in one year I will be graduating and hence I will have to move with all my package and since I am an international student that even adds up to the agony unless I get a decent job here, and hence I am looking for speakers which though may not be the best of the speakers but certainly reasonable at the price I am paying :), so that I can dump it without any hard feeling and take the receiver with me. BTW which system and speakers do u have in ur home?

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I see where you're coming from now. In that case, here's what I would suggest. If there is a Best Buy, Circut City, or similar in your area, I would head there and listen to some of the smaller bookshelf speakers by Athena, Yamaha, Klipsch, Sony, JBL, Pioneer, etc. Sony just introduced a new bookshelf speaker (model # ssmb150h) and retails for approx. $25/ea. You could get 5 for $125 for the 5 of a 5.1 system. Now, for the sub, I'm at a little bit of a loss. You might want to check around the same said stores for an open box or sale sub. And, this is all assuming you're looking to do a 5.1 setup. Yeah, the Sony's are lower end, value minded speakers, but, they are well made by a very reputable electronics company, and should sound good enough for your budget. I just used the Sony here as an example, so make sure to check out the other brands I mentioned. Don't forget the speaker wire. Best bet for you would be Home Depot or Lowe's at something like $.12/ft.

For my system, I had an opportunity to step up to some pretty good stuff. Here is the rundown:

Speakers
NHT T5's for fronts, M5 center, and CS 8.3's for surrounds
(also comes with a separate external amp and crossover for controlling the 12" subs)

NHT Outdoor Ones for the deck - running off my receiver

Components
Pioneer Elite 45TX Receiver
Pioneer Elite DV45A Universal Player
Yamaha CX1 DVD changer
Samsung SIR-S75 Satellite Receiver

Soon to be 95% Heartland Cables interconnects, replacing all existing Monster Cables. Tara Labs optical cable for the Satellite box.

Best of luck to you!!!

nagesh

Grip
Hi jon,
I was browsing through the internet and found this speaker package by Cambridge there 4th addition($145) and also there third addition which is on sale $209, dont know abt there shipping policy but if its too high then would like to go with there 4th addition. so what do u think about this, do they make good speakers?

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Can you provide a link to the speakers? Cambridge SoundWorks are usually well regarded and provide a good value for the money. Send me the link if you can.

nagesh

Grip
Hi jon,
Since i am new to this forum, so they are not allowing me to post URL but here's the address.
Type Cambridge home theater speakers in google and the first URL (that of cambridge soundworks) will lead u to there homepage, then select speakers in there Home theater section and u will be there. Also check for there clearance item for other speaker packages.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Go to hifi.com and check out the Ensemble IV system. Its on sale for $149. They also offer a 45 day trial period so if you dont like it you can send it back.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
nagesh,

I'll have to take a look tomorrow. I just got home from the Rams preseason game and I'm bushed.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
logitech z560

That would be my choice by a country mile. Even though It's only 4.1 that shouldn't be a problem since you'll be in a small space I'm guessing.

For a cheaper 5.1 system go for z640
Only $50:)
Brent

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
nagesh,

I just checked out their $249 speaker package, and I think it may best suit your needs for your extremely tight budget. Realize, though, that you are not going to get bass below about 40Hz and that your are not going to get highs up to 20kHz (rated at 16kHz). So, you will be missing some of the overall sound of your source, but not that much probably. Like I said, Cambridge makes a solid product as evidenced by their 10 yr. warranty. This may be one of the better solutions for your short-term solution. It's all up to you though.

Brian.Huep

Agent
Go to Fluance . com look at the black 5 peice theater speakers. It's $199 but looks decent and have heard great things about this set. Beyond speaker in a box sound.

Audley.A

Auditioning
I am in a similar position to Nagesh in that I have a receiver and I need a 5 speaker system. Was considering the Fluance and also tne Cerwin Vega HT2500A. Anyone with comments on C.Vega generally or this system in particular? The smaller size of the C.V. system appeals to me. Already have a sub - Dahlquist 12" that I got new on uBid for about 100. The receiver is an older Nakamichi AV-2 (ebay, about 100 bucks also) that I got more for it's supposed music reproduction than for HT. Don't want to circumvent Nagesh's thread but I think that any comment here might help him also.
To Nagesh I will say that if he went with the Fluance which feature floor standing speakers for the mains, he may be able to pospone the acquisition of a sub for the time being. But then like so many have said, Cambridge is good.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
i havent heard the other speakers, but i can say that i love the Fluance speakers I bought (i bought the 5 speaker set just above the ones being recommended here, AV-STB's I think...)I was more than a little impressed by their sound, in fact I was happily shocked!...I hope this helps guys! (BTW, the bass these speakers puts out is startling :) very nice!)...I have mine paired up w/ one of those tiny Sony SAW-M20 subs (99$), & for my room this setup is way more than adequate...sounds fantastic to me (but then again i'm no expert by any means ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks