What's new

Help with Paradigm setup (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to upgrade my speakers, and would like some opinions. I just got my first HT a few months ago, using a Sony DA1ES and Onkyo HT500 speakers. The speakers sound fine, but I want better.

I watch TV/movies a lot, and listen to music and play games a bit. I've got SACD, but there are so few titles that I like that it's still just a novelty to me. Pink Floyd and The Police are getting a bit old, maybe I should expand my library. :)

I am looking at Paradigm, probably the Monitor 7 for fronts and a CC370. My question is, would I be OK using the old Onkyo fronts for my surrounds? Would the lack of "timbre-matching" make it sound bad? I could buy some Paradigm surrounds, but I'm not sure which ones to get. I'd rather not spend a lot on them, and the mini monitors are a bit pricey for surrounds. Would the Atoms work? What about the Cinema or Micros? The ADP370 are way too much for me right now.

I plan on keeping my Onkyo sub, as it is more than enough to annoy my neighbors.

It is worth noting that I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so this setup might be a bit overkill. I think that reading this forum is bad for my bank account. :)

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
You'll get a variety of responses but here are my thoughts.

You said that you watch TV/movies a lot, and listen to music and play games a bit. Then in your next sentence you mention SACD and your desire to possibly buy more than what you have. If SACD is in your future then timbre matching is crucial, otherwise you can get away with different surrounds than your mains.

Now if TV/movies is more of what you use your system for then Monitor 7's are OK but you can probably get away with mini minitors for your mains. You'll have to audition them to determine if you think they are an improvement over your curent set up. If you think you'll be getting into music more then Monitor 7's may be what you want.

I don't know anything about your Onkyo's but they may serve you well for surrounds. I have studio 20 mains and atoms for surrounds so atoms will work for you for surounds but I do not know how much of an improvement they will be over your Onkyo's.

Hope I've helped a little, and good luck.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I'll have to see how much I can afford to spend, if I've got some extra maybe I'll get the Paradigm surrounds. I guess I could just try it out with the Onkyos for surrounds, and then upgrade if I think I need to.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Get out and listen. Eventhough they make good stuff, there is more out there than Paradigm.

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think you would "have" to get the ADP 370s. You could probably get the ADP 170s if you are on a budget. If you look hard, you could probably find a store that is closing out old v2's. Or, keep an eye on ebay or the hardware-for sale forum on this site... you'll find a good used pair for 25-50% off MSPR.

What area of the country are you in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks