Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Layer change in DVD better in Mac OS 9 than in OS X

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Allan Mack

Allan Mack

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 06:29 PM

I just bought a single processor, 1.25 GHz PowerMac G4 and am loving it. I bumped up the RAM to 1.25 GB right away and am enjoying learning about OS X.

Anyway, I noticed that when playing DVDs in OS 9 (my PowerMac is OS 9 bootable), layer changes are seamless. When playing the exact same DVDs in OS X, the layer changes are noticeable. It's not as bad as my standalone Panasonic DVD player, but it's definitely not perfectly seamless as when playing a DVD in OS 9. I have not attempted playing a DVD in OS X's Classic mode.

What could be the cause of this? It's nothing major--just a minor quibble.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   NicholasL

NicholasL

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 08:13 PM

First of all, welcome to the mac family! There aren't many of us, but atleast we're a community and that explains the lack of mac viruses...cause PC users just like to kill each other off. Regarding your question, I would think it may be more due to your particular dvd than it is the OS. I had a problem where specific dvds would turn pixelated and green at certain chapters, but this was due to the dvd's encoding bumping into my graphics card (i had the mirrored door dual 1.25ghz G4, which I sold since I'm waiting on the G5 now). Try other dvd's and see if it is the same. I highly doubt it is the OS you are using, since dvd playback is chiefly dependant on the graphics card you have ( i think its the radeon 9600?).

Besides, you can always call Applecare.