Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Oldest weapon in the army still in use?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 of 33 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 11:10 AM

R. Lee Ermey was a Jarhead, what would he know about vintage army weapons? Posted Image
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#22 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike O'Connell

Mike O'Connell

Second Unit

• 490 posts
  • LocationOverland Park KS

Posted August 14 2003 - 02:00 PM

The best weapon still in use, and it will always be the best weapon....

The mind and the strategy that goes with its proper use!

Mike

#23 of 33 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 02:18 PM

how about the airplane?

#24 of 33 OFFLINE   Cary_H

Cary_H

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 02:52 PM

Keith..The M1 was the basic service rifle of U.S. GIs during WWII. It was not capable of automatic fire, hence not a machine gun and never water cooled. The M16 is it's modern day equivalent in the U.S. Army.
The M60 is the automatic weapon best known for it's use in Vietnam. Any and all Vietnam movies that depict the ground war has some poor grunt bellyaching about being the guy having to lug it on patrols into "Indian Country". It too is air-cooled.
OTOH, I can't say that anything at all comes to mind around what an M2 is.

The aircraft carrier made it's debut prior to WWII.

#25 of 33 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 04:46 PM

Cary, I looked it up and I was referring to the .30 cal machine gun that was first called the M1917, then the M1919. The M1 Garrand and M2 machine gun must have been issued after the military stopped using the year in the designation. Considering the carbine version of the M16 currently used by the military is called the M4A1, you can't really guess what number is issued to any weapon. I was guessing that they did some numbering based on the category of gun, I wasn't confusing the .30 cal machine gun with the M1 Garrand. What happened to all the other numbers is a mystery though, and how did they get to M60?

If you're not familiar with it, the M2 is the .50 cal. Browning Machine Gun, and is either mounted on a tripod, or on a vehicle. It was used as the main gun in the P-51 and some other fighters, and as the defensive weapons on some of the bombers, in addition to being mounted on tanks, including the M1A1 Abrams and M2 Bradley.

#26 of 33 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,835 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted August 14 2003 - 05:01 PM

The M1 Garand rifle (not to be confused with the M1 carbine) holds pride of place as "the greatest infantry weapon ever devised" according to General Patton.

Posted Image

It was used from WWII through the early stages of the Vietnam war. I often wonder where my pair, dated 1942 and 1945, have been.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#27 of 33 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 07:52 PM

I'm not any kind of a military expert, but no one has mentioned mines or grenades. Just wanted to toss two more into the problem!

Glenn

#28 of 33 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted August 15 2003 - 02:26 AM

Glenn, mines and grenades have been around for a while, but they've been through many generations. The M2 is still basically the same gun as it was when it was first built in the '20s.

#29 of 33 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted August 15 2003 - 08:09 AM

Propaganda.

#30 of 33 OFFLINE   justmeandagirl

justmeandagirl

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 12 2012 - 03:22 AM

I think it's the Mosin-Nagant, it was developed in 1891 and it's still being used by several armies as a sniper rifle

#31 of 33 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,835 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted June 16 2012 - 02:13 PM

Oh dear.... In the context of this thread "the army" is in reference to the US Army. The 1891 Mosin-Nagant was selected for use by the Russian TSARIST army. During WWI the government of the last Tsar contracted for Mosin-Nagants to be made in the US as Russian factories were behind in production. After the revolution, the Commies repudiated those contracts, leaving the US holding the bag. When the US along with other governments intervened on the White Army side of the Russian revolution, those US made Mosin-Nagants, made by Westinghouse and Remington, were supplied to US troops. These were abandoned in Russia and Finland when the US pulled out.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#32 of 33 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Henry Gale 

R. Lee Ermey was a Jarhead, what would he know about vintage army weapons? Posted Image

I was about to mention this; but now see that I already did. Nine years ago.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#33 of 33 OFFLINE   Kosty

Kosty

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 10:14 AM

I was about to mention this; but now see that I already did. Nine years ago.

Its deja vous all over again! :rolleyes: Holy necro threading Batman...:D But no mind, its an interesting subject, I just did a double take at the OP 2003 date for the thread. The answer though for the US Army is the M1911 .45 cal pistol, modified versions are still in service today and the M2 .50 cal machine gun modified versions still in service today as well. For major systems its probably some version of M-557 armored command posts or support vehicles based on the M113 chassis. For the USAF its the B52 as a major platform. For the US Navy I think its the USS Enterprise as a major platform soon to be retired.