-

Photo
- - - - -

Sinatra at the Sands....my new favorite DVD-A

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 01:38 PM

Just got done spinning Sinatra at the Sands a couple times, once in stereo and once in multichannel, and I can honestly say this is my new reference DVD-A. It is hard to believe a recording so clear, pristine, and dynamic was recorded almost forty years ago. For those not familiar with this recording, it was done over four nights in 1966 with Count Basie and his Orchestra.

Technical Aspects:

Multichannel 94/24
Stereo 192/24
Dolby Digital 5.1

The stereo track is a real winner at 192/24, bettering the CD by a wide wide margin. My favorite track was Fly Me to the Moon. The dynamic range on this track is unbelieveable and really shows off the DVD-A format.

The multichannel had a slight Pet Sounds quality to it, with vocals present in the front left and right channels, slightly reverberating in the rear channels with the center not used at all for vocals (though drums and bass were present in the center). Overall it presented the music very nicely without any gimmicks to distract from the music.

Another great DVD-A release from Warner. Pick this one up if you are a fan of Sinatra, or just music in general.

Posted Image Posted Image

J

#2 of 23 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 02:26 PM

There's also a Dolby Surround track for listening with a DVD Video player. It presents Sinatra in the center when listening in a stereo mode.

#3 of 23 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 03:40 PM

Quote:
The stereo track is a real winner at 192/24, bettering the CD by a wide wide margin.

They always do!

Another good one is the DAD Sinatra 57 from Classic Records-I love the sound and music. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#4 of 23 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 12:17 AM

Justin:

I agree. It's a great disc.

#5 of 23 Christopher_S

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 03:44 AM

I bought this one also, and love it. I haven't even had a chance to check out the 5.1 mix yet, but the hi-rez stereo is worth the price of admission for me by itself.

I'm always excited by the prospect of great live recordings like this... shows that were before my time, presented in such a way that I can close my eyes and imagine what it would have been like to be in the audience. (The Zep DVD, especially the show on the first disc, does this for me as well... without the eye-closing bit, of course.) I hope that there will be many more releases like this one.

My 19-month-old digs Frank, too. Posted Image
[T]he founders of the Super 8 motel chain must surely have been ignorant of the meaning of suppurate. -- David Foster Wallace

Yapping - teamubermensch.podbean.com/

PS3 - CDStucky360 - Chopper Newt 

#6 of 23 John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted August 17 2003 - 07:08 AM

Justin,

I agree that Sinatra at the Sands is a superb example of a live recording ca. 1963. There's no question that for the era, this is well done.

In comparison to studio efforts of the era, it's a little bit lacking in fidelity.

Technical merits aside it's great material, with the Chairman of the Board in fine voice and the always tight Basie band swinging like .

Oh, I got the Meridian 861v4 in on Friday, and did my first listening sessions in the new room Friday night.

Finally hi-res tunes on a hi-res system in what has great potential as a hi-res room.

Regards,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#7 of 23 Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 06:28 AM

This sounds like a dvd I need to get. Another fine example how big band swing music defines style and sophistication. Something rock and rap music will never acheive.

#8 of 23 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 07:05 AM

Point of correction, SATS was recorded in January and February 1966.

Too bad they didn't add more songs from the other shows taped during the engagement.

#9 of 23 John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 08:20 AM

Peter,

Thanks -- I didn't have the disc in front of me when I typed my reply.

Regards,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#10 of 23 Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 12:36 PM

Quote:
Something rock and rap music will never acheive.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder what Sinatra's rap moniker would be if he had been a rap artist now?

-JNS

#11 of 23 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 01:33 PM

Hoboken Hoodlum (That's what Johnny Carson jokingly called him... and he's still alive!) Posted Image

#12 of 23 anthony_b

anthony_b

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 02:02 AM

Has anyone seen this disc at BEST BUY ? I went looking for it yesterday and couldn't find it.....is it at circuit city ?
Think before you speak....Peace always

#13 of 23 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 02:09 AM

anthony.
I also checked out Best Buy on tuesday last week and yesterday and they still didn't have it. Perhaps they will have it today.
I purchased my copy at a chain in Fla. called FYE last week.

Peter

#14 of 23 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 05:03 AM

Anthony, you might have to look in Jazz (where I found it in the Seattle store).

#15 of 23 Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 05:26 AM

I also saw this disc along with Chicago V in the DVD-Audio Section of my local Border's.

It would probably be better to pick this up at Best Buy though, as all Hi-res audio discs are 2 bucks off this week.

J

#16 of 23 anthony_b

anthony_b

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 08:43 AM

I noticed it on the CC website for $13.99, which probably would be the same price at best buy with the discount...thanks a lot guys Posted Image
Think before you speak....Peace always

#17 of 23 Al B. C

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 08:32 AM

I just picked this up yesterday.

My initial reaction is that I am totally impressed with the Hi Rez 2 channel track - it's simply sounds amazing.

But....

At first listen, I am somewhat underwhelmed at the M/C. It appears to be nothing more than an echo with an occasional instrument blurting out from one of the rears. Maybe I need to give it another couple of tries.

I must say that I find myself shying away from most M/C tracks as of late. I'm starting to feel like my rears do nothing more than screw up the fidelity of my mains.

Maybe it's just me.

#18 of 23 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 12:09 PM

Justin, thanks for the review. I will have to get this disc. Unfortunately, Best Buy doesn't have it. They just don't get in the new DVD-Audio discs. They still haven't gotten in the Beach Boys or Chicago discs, and it took them over a month to get the Steely Dan Everything Must Go disc. Posted Image
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#19 of 23 Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
Justin, thanks for the review. I will have to get this disc. Unfortunately, Best Buy doesn't have it. They just don't get in the new DVD-Audio discs. They still haven't gotten in the Beach Boys or Chicago discs, and it took them over a month to get the Steely Dan Everything Must Go disc.

The Delaware area Best Buys seem to be lacking severely in their DVD-A discs which are not Silverline. Usually takes a couple weeks before they receive stock.

I did see this disc along with the new Chicago and Beach Boys in the Border's near the Christiana Mall. In the back of the music section next to Jazz, they now have a small DVD-A section, which contains mostly DVD-A and some Universal SACD mixed in for confusion. They seem to get in a couple copies of each DVD-A release on street date, priced at MSRP of course.

J

#20 of 23 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,804 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted September 23 2003 - 03:34 PM

Justin:

Thanks for your comments!

What engineer is credited with doing the multichannel mix? (And is it a different guy than who recorded the original concert?)

Paul

Forum Nav Content I Follow