-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Boat Trip

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,129 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted August 13 2003 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image

Boat Trip

Studio: Artisan
Year: 2003
Rated: Unrated
Film Length: 97 minutes
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.85:1 (16x9)
Audio: DD 5.1, DD 2.0 Surround
Subtitles: None

Hmm….let’s put two straight men on a gay cruise ship and see what happens. I guess that’s what the producer’s thought when they made Boat Trip, which is considered one of the worst movies to come out of Hollywood this year. Originally filmed in 2001 but not released for two years, you’ve got to wonder how something like this made it to theaters in the first place. Anyhow, Artisan is now releasing this onto DVD in the R-rated theatrical cut along with an unrated director’s cut.

The film tells the story of Jerry (Cuba Gooding, Jr.), a young man hopelessly in love with his girlfriend Felicia (Vivica Fox). All the happiness is turned upside down after Felicia refuses to get married and then informs Jerry that she’s been sleeping with another man. With nothing else to live for, Jerry is thrown into a state of depression and for six months he just sits in front of his computer looking at pictures of his former girlfriend. Jerry’s needing someone to change his life and that help comes in the form of his best friend Nick (Horatio Sanz).

While at a party Nick meets a dorky man who just happens to be engaged to a beautiful, big-breasted blonde. Nick learns that in order for ugly men to get beautiful women all they need to do is take a cruise so he orders a couple tickets and he and Jerry head off for the ocean hoping to get laid by beautiful women. After the boat pulls off the friends soon discover that they are on a gay cruise and that they are the only straight men on board. After a drunken state Jerry eventually meets Gabriella (Roselyn Sanchez), a dance instructor who’s been abused by men and is thankful to be around gay men instead. Of course Jerry soon falls for her but he also has to pretend being gay.

Boat Trip is a horrible movie that doesn’t have one redeeming factor about it. I remember there was a bit of controversy by the gay community when this film opened due to the rather politically incorrect behavior of the film but they were simply wasting their breathe on this one. The film tries to be a throw back to the 1980’s sex romps but fails on every level. I’m sure anyone could be offended by the humor but after five minutes anyone with a brain will be able to see how stupid this film is, which should be rid of any controversy surrounding the film.

The bottom line is that the film isn’t funny with its outrageous behavior. You’ve got everything from Nick giving oral sex to the wrong woman to Jerry learning the words to “I Will Survive” so that everyone will think he’s gay. Then you’ve got the typical stereotypes of men wearing leather, men spanking one another’s asses and even one of the straight boys finding out that he’s really gay. The director doesn’t know how to handle any of the comedy because if it isn’t a stereotype then it’s a cross between a fantasy and a realistic film. They are many daydream sequences, which just don’t work. In other scenes Gooding Jr., will be acting normal then all the sudden jump into an over acting mode, which makes no sense at all.

Boat Trip is a very stupid movie that is an embarrassment to its star Cuba Gooding, Jr. It’s a shame that this talented actor has to do films like this but he’s not the only one embarrassed here. Roger Moore is also on hand playing a gay man wanting young boys. Will Ferrell also shows up playing another gay man. I suppose seeing James Bond playing gay is supposed to be funny but it isn’t. Boat Trip succeeds at being offensive yet it’s too stupid to try and be funny.

VIDEO---The movie is shown widescreen (1.85:1) and is enhanced for 16x9 TVs. The picture quality is very good without any major flaws. The skin tones looks very natural and blue skies look wonderfully sharp. The darker scenes also look very nice with deep blacks and no hints of grain or scratches.

AUDIO---The Dolby Digital 5.1 track is pretty weak for such a current film. The dialogue is easy to understand and very clear but the surrounds are rarely used and when they are put to use the sound is a little too low. The only time the surrounds really kick in is during the various songs, which are played throughout the film.

EXTRAS---Extras include a theatrical trailer along with two television spots, which tout the film as some sort of landmark film. Up next is a section of deleted scenes, which aren’t very funny and really add nothing to the already bad film. There are also some outtakes, which show the actor’s messing up their lines. You’ll get more laughs from this than the actual film. There’s also a small featurette dealing with sun tanning, which is hosted by a few Playboy’s. The press release also mentions of trivia track but I wasn’t able to get this on the screener. All of these extras are also on the P&S release but the unrated cut does feature one extra deleted scene.

OVERALL---How a film like this got into theaters is beyond me. This is actually a lot worse than most of the film’s that are released straight to video. I’m sure the producer’s thought they had a funny movie with two straight guys boarding a gay cruise ship but none of it works. The film tries to offend everyone in site but it’s just not funny. The one or two fans of this film will be happy with the DVD, although the 5.1 track isn't too good for such a current film. The DVD is available in an uncut, widescreen version and a P&S R-rated version.

Release Date: September 30, 2003

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted August 13 2003 - 10:49 AM

Boat Trip is a very stupid movie that is an embarrassment to its star Cuba Gooding, Jr. It’s a shame that this talented actor has to do films like this
I doubt anyone is holding a gun to his head. Apparently, he's voluntarily choosing to make a career out of flicks like this (and "Snow Dogs" and "Rat Race").

And what's the point of putting out DVD screeners with VHS extras and no DD track? Oh, this is Artisan...nevermind. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Morgan Holly

Morgan Holly

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 04:46 PM

DISCLAIMER: My facility did menus, compression, and authoring for the final disc of this film... We had nothing to do with the screener...And I've had a few...

It's downright silly to review a screener in this forum. It does not reflect the final audio or video quality of the final release. It doesn't have the final menus or features of the final release. By reviewing the screener you are reviewing the film, not the disc that members of this forum will see in stores.

If you hate the film, simply start a thread in an appropriate forum, in this case "movies."

This thread should be moved. It is a review of the film, not the disc.

Malcolm, screeners are sent out so people can screen the movie. They are not meant to be reviewed as final product, as they are not meant to be sold in this form. In fact, this is the first time I've seen a screener reviewed.

Smiles Posted Image

-MH
www.bitpress.com

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,129 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted August 13 2003 - 06:41 PM

Quote:
My facility did menus

Your menus were also on the "VHS Extras".

Quote:
By reviewing the screener you are reviewing the film, not the disc that members of this forum will see in stores.

Very true, which is why I told people what I received. I know three other people on Artisan's screener list and they received the very same thing as I did today so apparently this is the disc they are sending people to review. If I get the "final" disc then I'll upgrade what I did here. If I don't get anything else then apparently Artisan didn't want it reviewed. Apparently this is what they wanted or else they would have sent the movie only without the tape of extras and the press release.

Quote:
In fact, this is the first time I've seen a screener reviewed.

Coming from a horror web site, I think you'd be rather shocked at how many "screeners" are sent to be reviewed. There's an "early disc" list you can get on, which means you'll get a test disc a couple months before the release date, which doesn't feature the case, booklets and so on. If you get on the "regular" list they will wait until two weeks before the release date and send you what you'd buy in stores.

I'm not sure how Artisan usually does this stuff so perhaps someone who has been on their list longer will chime in with their thoughts.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,953 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 10:40 PM

This is sort of odd.

As a former reviewer for this forum, I have
received dozens upon dozens of screener product
from Artisan.

I have never received anything but the final
packaged version of the DVD from them.

I wasn't aware that Artisan was now sending out
screeners without final menus and extras included.

Personally, I would not have reviewed a DVD in
this form...however...Michael did include a
disclaimer in his review and actually is giving
us a report of the final transfer quality.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations