What's new

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Re-release specs!!! (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
In the new issue of Video Business, there is a big double page spread:

SPECIAL EDITION from Pioneer:
- A new widescreen Digital Superscan transfer supervised by Director Tobe Hooper
- New Stereo surround soundtrack re-mis supervised by Director Tobe Hooper
- Original mono soundtrack
- Audiocommentary featuring Director Tobe Hooper, Director of Photography Daniel Pearl, and star Gunnar Hansen
- Deleted scenes and alternate footage
- Blooper reel
- Original Theatrical trailers and TV spot trailers for other "Chainsaw" films
- Still photos
- Posters and collectibles

I hope these specs are not the exact same as the old ones. They say "a new widescreen" transfer. New? Anyone? I can take a picture of the package if someone has a place to host it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It may be slow, but I can host the pic if you want.

A new widescreen Digital Superscan transfer supervised by Director Tobe Hooper
That pretty much confirms that it's the same thing, because that's what the what my Elite laserdisc says, and I know that the previous DVD release was just a port of the LD.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Cool. Not only was I planning on including the original release on my next Amazon order, but had DVD Planet had it in stock when I was there last week I would have bought it.

Thanks for the info.

-paul

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this release seems identical to the old DVD. I hate the cover art, so there is no reason for me to pick this one up.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I believe this is the same transfer, and is still Non-Anamorphic. I'm wondering if the extras are the same? I think that the laserdisc had about 30+ minutes of deleted scenes on the side.

Mike

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Well, PIONEER, a non-Anamorphic, rehashed 1998 LD transfer?
in 2003!?
What are they thinking...
One disc I will not be buying....

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think the cover completely rocks! I mean come on! Meat!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

We don't know that they haven't done a new transfer for this release yet. They may have. Maybe. I hope.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
That cover does suck.............. This is the one that is slated for Oct. Release right???

Thanks
R~

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Has the "superscan" transfer process (which bypasses the HD tape stage) been used by anyone in the last five years? This does not sound promising.

Regards,

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
For the price, I'll pick this up. I've heard that the previous transfer wasn't that bad. I prefer the original cover (poster art) but who knows when this is going to get another (better) release. If something better comes out, I can always pawn this and get about half the price back.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The previous Pioneer Region 1 edition of CHAINSAW was apparently taken from the incorrect master tape. Don May Jr. (now the head of Synapse) supervised the transfer with Hooper and fixed some opticals, did some colour correction, removed a bunch of pops and glitches and 'jumps' on the picture frame and so on before signing off on it. When Elite (presumably) supplied the master to Pioneer, they supplied the one that DIDN'T receive any final tweaking or error-correction, so all the glitches, frame jumps and so on that Hooper and Don May Jr. spent the final few days of the transfer process removing are all back for your enjoyment on the Pioneer DVD. The Digital Bits did a story about this topic when the disc originally came out.

The UK DVD (with a nice slipcase cover and a bonus disc featuring a lengthy new doco not included with the Region 1 version) reportedly features the corrected version. The bottom line is that Pioneer have probably spent all their time and dollars coming up with a brand new cover for your enjoyment, but will have likely repackaged the same, defective transfer. I think I'll be avoiding this re-release...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that the previous transfer wasn't that bad.
Even when I had laserdiscs, I never owned that many of them; however, as an owner of the current Pioneer region 1 DVD, I can honestly say that it is amongst the worst looking transfers I have in my collection.

If this turns out to be the same release as the last one, I would caution anyone buying it to seriously lower your expectations.

What a shame too because I figured the only possible good that could have come out of another creatively-bankrupt, boneheaded Hollywood decision like remaking The Texas Chainsaw Masacre would be that a spiffy new DVD of the original might be in the pipe. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks