-

Photo
- - - - -

question about vhs and the PAL system?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Alex_SZ

Alex_SZ

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 09:04 AM

I recently went to Spain on a trip and I made a video using my Sony mini dv camcorder.

I want to send a copy of the tape to some of my spanish friends, but I am a little baffled as to whethere a standard vhs tape from the United States would work in a PAL vhs player in Spain. I have heard many differnt answers, some say yes it will work while others say no.

I would like some input here, and if you don't think it will work on a PAL vhs player, is there a way to somehow covert my ntsc video to a pal video?

Thanks for you help.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 09:22 AM

It should be OK. First your friends must have a TV that displays NTSC. I don’t know about Spain, but most PAL TVs will also display NTSC signals (as opposed to almost no NTSC TVs being able to display PAL).

Next he must have a VHS that will output an NTSC picture OK. There are plenty of these around and your friend can likely find one—at least as a loaner.

So the technical answer is, ‘it depends’. But the answer in practice is that he should be OK with a little luck and/or effort.

It is possible to convert NTSC to PAL, but I don’t know if it is very common in the States.
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Alex_SZ

Alex_SZ

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for you reply. Does anyone else have any opinoins on this matter?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   DustinLC

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
It is possible to convert NTSC to PAL, but I don’t know if it is very common in the States.

That'll be your best bet unless you want to buy one of those $500 vcr that will convert it for you.

It'll probably cost around $30 to convert a tape. It's expensive I know.

Just look up VCR repair places or copying/faxing stores and they usually have that service. It's very common and you should have no problem finding one.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 01:01 PM

VCRs and TVs that accept NTSC tapes and signals are almost universal down here and I would think it's the same in Europe.
"Are you ready, Jack?"
"I was BORN ready!"

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Koit

Koit

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 09:21 PM

At least here in Sweden VCR's and TV's that can play NTSC tapes are very common.

If your friends in Spain has a decent VCR it most likely can play the NTSC tape.

Let them try the tape and see what happens.