Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sound effect louder than dialog?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam*Ak

Adam*Ak

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 07:45 AM

This happen when watching DVD, but sometimes with TV also. The spoken dialog is pretty soft, so I've to turn up the volumn. And the special effect is so loud sometimes it scares me. I found myself turning the vol up and down constantly. Is there anything I can do about this?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 08:04 AM

You're more likely to get useful advice if you indicate what sort of equipment you're using. Are we talking about a TV speaker or some sort of receiver (and if so, what kind)?

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 08:28 AM

And are you asking about gain riding? That is, a device that automatically gain rides for you?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 08:33 AM

Welcome to the forum Adam.

I’m going to assume that you are listening via a receiver.

Depending on your receiver there are potentially a couple of things which you can do.

Go into the menu or options in your receiver and look for DRC or Dynamic Range Control. This should have some settings that allow you to compress the range of sound coming from your DVD player (or whatever). This means that the soft sounds won’t be so soft and the loud sounds won’t be so loud. Most receivers allow a range of compression.

Some receivers also have a setting termed Midnight or something similar. This enables DRC or DRC-like processing to the sound.

Some TVs have DRC-type settings as well.

From my experience better speakers don’t require as much volume to understand softly spoken dialogue. YMMV
¡Time is not my master!

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Kevinkall

Kevinkall

Second Unit

• 331 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 01:19 PM

Have you set up your speakers using an SPL meter and a setup disc? This could fix your problem and also make your setup sound ALOT better.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam*Ak

Adam*Ak

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 06:41 AM

Thanks.
I have a Sharp 37" LCD TV, Gallo speakers & subwoofer, HK DPR 1001 Receiver and HK DVD 101 player. I listen through receiver/ speakers only.

The receiver has something called EZ Setup and that's what I went through. Didn't use SPL meter. I'll go back and look through my manual.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 09:47 AM

if you can, definitely calibrate first. that will give you a nice solid base from which you can tweak to your heart's desire. Posted Image

also, keep this in mind. most of the dialog comes from the center speaker. effects usually (but not always) come from the other speakers. so...you could bump up your center speaker volume. you'll definitely be able to do that via your receiver's adjustments. that should help increase dialog intelligibility (is that a word...?)

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 08:44 AM

Audio calibration is the first step. You can guess by ear but having a spl meter is preferred. You can pick one up at rat shack. This is a useful tool in that you will probably go through several sets of speakers, receivers or just plain ol setup. You can also wow your friends by calibrating their equipment. I'm a biker so I also use mine to measure exhaust music.

Acoustics is another common reason for dialog drop but you need to start with the basics first.