What's new

My Denon AVR2802 keeps cutting out (1 Viewer)

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks

I came down this morning and turned up the volume on my Denon AVR 2802, to listen to some morning radio. Silence! All the lights were on and all othe functions were working, but no sound.

I switched it off for 5 minutes and when I switched it back on the sound was restored. This lasted about an hour and then it cut out again.

My only feelings are that I have the receiver turned on at all times and that at the moment we are experiencing record breaking temperatures in the UK 100 degrees F plus.

Could it be that what I am experiencing is some sort of thermal cut out?

I've switched it all off for the moment so that it can cool down and I will check it again tonight when I get home, but any ideas on this would be appreciated. Or is this a warranty job:frowning:?

Many thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Boy is europe being hammered with temperatures. It sounds like you're probably overheating which could be due to poor circulation (I'm assuming there's no bare wires touching and causing momentary shorts). You certainly could try improving the airflow by keeping a greater spacing and not putting anything on it or under it that can diminish flow or radiate additonal heat. However, since it is under warranty, a prudent thought would be to have it checked out. Hopefully you'll get it back before winter!

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
No, different problem. This one sounds a lot like a thermal problem. Make sure there is ample air space around the receiver at all times.

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Well I made sure that all of the connections were sound, ie no stray strands etc and that there was ample ventilation. Left it powered down and unplugged for 24 hours; Switched back on: Same problem, only nothing at all.

I'm getting all the lights and I can switch between sources but no sound!!!

One point, the power light flashes for 2-3 seconds, which according to the manual means that the protection circuit has activated. So I think it will definitely mean a warranty repair - Sevenoaks H-Fi here I come :frowning:

Never mind

Thanks for all your help

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Please post back with how the diagnosis and repair went. Many are curious how matters such as this are handled in different areas and countries.

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Will do Chu,

I've just called Sevenoaks Hi-Fi and they said to bring it in on Saturday.

They're reckoning on a 2 week turnaround at the moment

Regards

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all

Well, I took it back to Sevenoaks on Saturday and guess what??

When they tested it it worked fine!, Boy was my face red. Anyway it seems that according to them, the thermal overload had tripped, simply because of the excessive temperatures and as the weather had continued in the high 90s, it wouldn't reset. I must admit, I was a little sceptical, but it's been working fine since so all seems well.

I will monitor the situation;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks