Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My Denon AVR2802 keeps cutting out

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard Cook

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 11:33 PM

Hi folks

I came down this morning and turned up the volume on my Denon AVR 2802, to listen to some morning radio. Silence! All the lights were on and all othe functions were working, but no sound.

I switched it off for 5 minutes and when I switched it back on the sound was restored. This lasted about an hour and then it cut out again.

My only feelings are that I have the receiver turned on at all times and that at the moment we are experiencing record breaking temperatures in the UK 100 degrees F plus.

Could it be that what I am experiencing is some sort of thermal cut out?

I've switched it all off for the moment so that it can cool down and I will check it again tonight when I get home, but any ideas on this would be appreciated. Or is this a warranty jobPosted Image?

Many thanks
Richard, Sittingbourne, UK

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 03:23 AM

Boy is europe being hammered with temperatures. It sounds like you're probably overheating which could be due to poor circulation (I'm assuming there's no bare wires touching and causing momentary shorts). You certainly could try improving the airflow by keeping a greater spacing and not putting anything on it or under it that can diminish flow or radiate additonal heat. However, since it is under warranty, a prudent thought would be to have it checked out. Hopefully you'll get it back before winter!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 03:39 AM

What Chu said.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Reece

Reece

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 07:57 AM

This sounds just like the problem I'm having which I posted here

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Paul.Little

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 12:53 PM

No, different problem. This one sounds a lot like a thermal problem. Make sure there is ample air space around the receiver at all times.
Paul

You're wrong, Mr. Lucas. They're not your movies. They're ours. All of ours. We paid to go see them, and they're just as much a part of our lives as they are of yours

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard Cook

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 11:32 PM

Well I made sure that all of the connections were sound, ie no stray strands etc and that there was ample ventilation. Left it powered down and unplugged for 24 hours; Switched back on: Same problem, only nothing at all.

I'm getting all the lights and I can switch between sources but no sound!!!

One point, the power light flashes for 2-3 seconds, which according to the manual means that the protection circuit has activated. So I think it will definitely mean a warranty repair - Sevenoaks H-Fi here I come Posted Image

Never mind

Thanks for all your help

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 12:04 AM

Please post back with how the diagnosis and repair went. Many are curious how matters such as this are handled in different areas and countries.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard Cook

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 12:18 AM

Will do Chu,

I've just called Sevenoaks Hi-Fi and they said to bring it in on Saturday.

They're reckoning on a 2 week turnaround at the moment

Regards

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard Cook

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 12:17 AM

Hi all

Well, I took it back to Sevenoaks on Saturday and guess what??

When they tested it it worked fine!, Boy was my face red. Anyway it seems that according to them, the thermal overload had tripped, simply because of the excessive temperatures and as the weather had continued in the high 90s, it wouldn't reset. I must admit, I was a little sceptical, but it's been working fine since so all seems well.

I will monitor the situationPosted Image