What's new

Stacking Audio Equipment (1 Viewer)

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought an Onkyo TX 8211. Right now it's situated on top of a Sony SCD-CE775. Will this be damaging to the CD changer? The Onkyo is sturdy, but not *particularly* heavy. I'd put it on its own shelf, but I'm outta room.

I know there have been differing opinions on the possibly downsides of stackign equipmewnt, but I thought I'd ask about these two components specifically.

Cagri

Second Unit
I assume the changer doesn't have vents on the top, and the receiver doesn't have vents at the bottom. CD changers hardly even get warm anyway, so you would probably be fine with those two components heatwise. But still, I would do that if I had really had no other way to go. Receivers are pretty heavy units and they have a smaller footprint, so your receiver's feet will not be on the corners of the changer but it will be a bit inside. I am not comfortable with the pressure that may cause, and I don't put any component on my changer. I am short of space as well and I feel more comfortable putting my DVD player on top of my VCR. My $.02

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I know there have been differing opinions on the possibly downsides of stackign equipmewnt
Not really. Whenever this comes up, the advice is, "Don't do it". Sometimes people report getting away with it, but you're taking a risk. Receivers should never be stacked with anything. They're heavy, and they generate heat.

M.

Yogi

Screenwriter
In your case you should be fine as the receiver generating the heat will dissipate heat 'up' from its interior (heat rises up) and so if you touch the top of your CD player it should hardly be warm.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In your case you should be fine as the receiver generating the heat will dissipate heat 'up' from its interior (heat rises up) and so if you touch the top of your CD player it should hardly be warm.
You're assuming, of course, that there's nothing above the receiver, such as another shelf.

M.

Yogi

Screenwriter
"You're assuming, of course, that there's nothing above the receiver, such as another shelf."

Thats right. If all this is in an enclosed shelf space, then it would be bad. Even if the shelf is open in the back you should be fine. Sorry for the oversight on my part.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you Cagri. The only reason that I wouldn't stack it directly on top of the CD changer is because of the added pressure it will cause. However, you can just as easily buy a piece of wood (just measure it out) and put it on top of the CD changer. This will make it so the pressure exerted on the CD changer by the receiver is evenly dispersed across the surface area, which is exactly what i did.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
CD players are built similarly to most DVD players (i.e., they're flimsy). So setting a 25-pound-plus component directly on top of one is a longterm exercise in modifying its cosmetics (I don't like the crumpled look).

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Then again so long as the receiver's feet are close enough to the outside of the changer it might improve the stability of the changer and have a positive influence on sound. As always just use a little common sense with regard to weight and heat issues but you'll likely be fine.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I ever stacked a receiver on was an old laserdisc player. Believe me when I say that a decent LD player can handle the weight with no crumpling. An LD player is like a sherman tank compared to 99.9% of the DVD and CD players out there today.

These days I'll stack a cable box on top of a Tivo/ReplayTV, and that's about it.

Cagri

Second Unit
Generally speaking, it's always better to stack components for which you are looking for an excuse to upgrade :)

My DVD player is on top of my VCR with space no more than 1/4 of an inch between the player and the upper shelf. I even can not check if the player gets too hot, and it has started to send signals like "r.e.p.l....a.c.e....m.e." :D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
What if your CD player weighs 30 pounds? ;)

Really, the stacking doesn't matter. Unless you have some Class A amp or you're having rock concerts. Receivers are designed to handle the heat.

It's debatable whether the added effective mass of each component would make the sound better, by damping resonances. And if you do want to keep your equipment from vibrating, that probably isn't the best way.

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
Well the receiver isn't particularly heavy.. maybe 10 pounds? I could be wrong.

Also, the feet are arranged such that all the weight from the receiver is on the very corners of the changer.

Also, there is nothing above the receiver, save a wood shelf about 10 inches above it. The audio rack is open backed, and has a glass door on the front with wide cracks that allow air in and out.

Does the risk seem minimal?

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Look, I have a Yamaha CX1 DVD changer which weighs a whopping 23lbs., but I would never even consider putting my Elite 45TX on top of it (approx. 45lbs.). It's just not a good thing to do, as someone else mentioned. I don't give a rat's @ss if heat is rising, the feet are at the corners, if there is space above the receiver, if it is enclosed, etc., etc....

If all of you out there think you can do this and get away with it, well, great, more power to ya. But don't be coming to this forum when something gets screwed up crying about your cd/dvd player breaking, or excessive scuff marks on the top.

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
Well the weight ratio of your equipment seems quite a bit different than mine.

..I'm not coming here to see what i can get away with. it's a discussion forum, with members that have (what I regard as) good opinions. I'm curious to see what other members' experiences have been. If they didn't have interest in discussing them, they wouldn't.

Cagri

Second Unit
It looks like your receiver weighs 18.3 pounds, which is not too much for a receiver. Still, if I were you, I would do it only if I really had no other way. It's a good thing if the feet are on the corners though.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My current receiver weighs over 40 lb. I wouldn't be afraid to put it on top of a laserdisc player. I could probably stand on my CLD-D703 and LX900 players if the weight were distributed. :D

I'd never consider putting it on a DVD player...not even my beefy DVD-S2300.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Speaking of stacking equipment, you guys won't believe what I saw at my friends place a few weeks ago when I went over there.

I go downstairs and notice a big screen TV. Then I see the audio components beside the TV, on what looks like a small low table. Cable box, reciever and a couple of more things on top of the reciever. Looking closer I see that all this stuff is piled on top of a Energy subwoofer. I couldn't believe it! I made light note of it but didnt insist, its his equipment so ....but later on when we started listening to some Cd's of course they started skipping. He acted like it was totally normal... I finally had to tell him "Bob, get that stuff OFF your subwoofer!! And, your amp needs room to breathe, with this equipment on it, it has the potential to fry!"

He took note and agreed with me but since he was into his second case of beer I really don't think what I said will sink in, if he remembers at all. I'm sure the next time I go back it will all still be piled on top of his subwoofer.
Oh well, it will be a costly lesson.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
what if i stack units like this:

DVD player (top)
CD changer
Receiver (bottom)

basically, the heaviest stuff on the bottom. is that ok, or will it still cause problems?

Cagri

Second Unit
It is better if you do it other way. Seems that you have to stack, then put the receiver on the changer mesays. You'll cover the vents of the receiver if you put the changer on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks