Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Moving a Dell to a cooler case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 02:18 PM

I'm thinking of jumping in on one of the cheapo (~$400) Dell PCs for use as an audio server. I would want to move the PC guts into a real HTPC case for asthetics. I know the motherboard and power supplies in most Dells are proprietary designs and would like some opinions on what sort of difficulty I might expect by changing cases.

Will motherboard holes not align properly? Will the power supply not fit? Will I be unable to easily wire the power & reset buttons?

What about adding extra hard drives? Are Dells open enough to accept new drives?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Glenn

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 04:20 PM

Hi Camp,

I don't know the answers to your questions about how it might fit inside of another case but if it is the Poweredge 400SC server there is an unofficial FAQ on the 400SC. It might help with your questions.

http://www.aaltonen....ewtopic.php?t=8

I don't think you will have any problems adding hard drives. I have a 400SC and recently added an 80GB drive to it with no problems.

I would be interested in hearing more of your plans as I am also interrested in doing turning mine into an audio server along with a few other things. I wasn't planning to change the case though.

I'm looking into trying Red Hat Linux as an Operating system. What do you plan to use?

Thanks,
Glenn

>>I'm thinking of jumping in on one of the cheapo (~$400) Dell PCs for use as an audio server. I would want to move the PC guts into a real HTPC case for asthetics.

>>What about adding extra hard drives? Are Dells open enough to accept new drives?
gatorglenn@aol.com

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

• 1,402 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 06:43 PM

The vast majority of Dell mobo's are standard size now, and most of the power supplies are standard ATX. I just ordered a 400sc, d8300, and d4600. I'll be able to say for sure soon.
Home Theater Forum Sponsor

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 11:30 AM

Quote:
I would be interested in hearing more of your plans as I am also interrested in doing turning mine into an audio server along with a few other things. I wasn't planning to change the case though.

Well, the plans aren't much special -nor are they set in concrete.

It'll be a WinXP machine and the only use will be for music. I'll get whatever the best performance/value combo soundcard I can and drop in a 200 GB hard drive. Other than that, I'll probably use J.River's Media Center or myHTPC as the music interface (via remote, of course). Nothing fancy.