Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

XP install oddness

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 11 2003 - 10:16 AM

I have posted on MS's usenet group and filled out their web forms without reply, so asking anyone I can think of if they've ever seen anything wacky like this.

Have tried 2 Win XP pro CDs, both do the same thing. On install they randomly say 'cannot find xxxxxxx file', and hitting retry seems to find that file and it goes on to complete, apparently successful install. It does that about 10x per install, I've done 6 installs or so, so far, and it does it every time.

Once installed I can successfully install my video, lan and direct X drivers. I have gotten them both from the 'net and off CD, and they work successfully.

However, I absolutely cannot download Windows XP SP1a successfully, no matter how I get it. If I download the 130 MB Network Install, it tells me the file is corrupt. If I use XP Update it tells me it cant find files in the install and retry will NOT fix it. I downloaded the 130 MB patch to another machine, burned it to CD, and then tried to install it, it tells me it is corrupt but I know it unpacks fine on that other machine. Same thing using that other machine to download from MS then share locally.

Similarly, I have tried loading other stuff off the web, for example demos from NVIDIA like Vulcan:
www.nvidia.com/object/demo_vulcan.html

But every time it tries to unpack that, it tells me that data1.cab is corrupt, and yet it unpacks fine on the machine next to it.

So, I am kinda stuck on what could be wrong. My first guess is that because I am using the high speed IDE interface with a pretty big cache, something is funky on that interface. Honestly not sure how I could even check it out.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

System is a homebuilt mutt:
Gigabyte 8KNXP Mobo
P4 3.0 800mhz
1GB 3200 Corsair XMS RAM
Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
Western Digital 120 GB 8MB cache Special Edition
Creative Audigy2 Platinum
EVGA 5900 FX video card

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 02:53 PM

Sounds to me like you have an unauthorized copy of XP Pro. All of the problems that you have mentioned apply to bootleg copies. Especically, the fact that you can not load SP1.

There are two things going on here:

1. You have an UPGRADE (NOT A FULL INSTALL) copy of XP that was made before Microsoft perfected its licensce activation program or you have a corporate copy of XP that was made before SP1.

2. In your attempts to get SP1 and any other updates Microsofts servers are seeing that you have a copy of XP that I described above.

Therefore you are not getting and will not get the upgrades. Do you know where you got your copy of
XP. If you got it from a legit source I would return it immediately and reload XP cleanly.

I am not familiar with anyone with an authorized copy of XP Pro having those problems. However, I am quite familiar with folks with bootleg copies that have your exact problems.

Last, I am not sure that your configuration would give you these types of problems as you are running the program and eventually getting an operating system.

These are just my perspectives. If anyone else has any further insight please correct me.

Good Luck Sam,

djb
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 03:59 PM

sounds to me like a flakey stick of ram or overly aggressive memory settings in the bios. having an unauthorized copy of XP won't cause a problem unpacking, just installing.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 04:11 PM

Matt,

I thought about the bad stick of ram situation. As I had a problem with a bad stick of ram and loading XP two months ago. However, with my situation I simply just could not load XP at all. My computer froze on trying to load the kernel files.

It puzzles me that he would be able to load the operating system at all if he had a bad stick of ram. Also, if it was the BIOS wouldn't the same thing happen?

On the other hand, it does not hurt to check out the suggestions.

1. Set all you BIOS info to default.

2. Try and load XP with a single stick of ram and see if you have the same problems. If you have the same problem try another stick. If the problem persists it is not your ram. (I hope that you don't have only 1 single 1GB stick as now you have to buy another stick. Remeber XP needs a minimum of 64mb of ram with 128mb RECOMMENDED!!!)

If this fails then it is on to further troubleshooting.

djb
make your own decision.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 13 2003 - 01:37 AM

Update:

It is an authorized copy of Win XP Pro, direct from Microsoft actually as I am a member of their reseller program. Product activation over network is successful.

I am a software engineer and I support fully companies efforts to make money off their products, no matter how orwellian I find the Activation process. I dont pirate MP3s let alone XP Pro =)

Anyway, another forum suggested I go to www.memcheck86.com and burn their Linux ISO and check the RAM out thoroughly, and that did confirm that the RAM is in fact defective. I am awaiting an RMA from Corsair at this time. If you havent already, I really recommend Memcheck, that is an awesome utility, cant believe I have never heard of it before.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   JamesHl

JamesHl

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 06:59 AM

Yes, something very similar happened to me recently with crucial. Wouldn't install at all though, but I turned it down to 266 from 333 and then it worked, the memory was supposed to be 333, however.

I'm surprised you're having a problem with corsair. That's what I use now since that incident was the final straw with crucial for me (I've had other problems with them before).

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 01:15 PM

Glad to see it was something simple and easy to fix.

It puzzles me that memory goes bad at all consdering that it has no moving parts...????...

I was so pissed when I went through all kinds of trouble shooting to find out that I simply had a bad stick of ram.

djb
make your own decision.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 04:30 AM

I've had similar problems...it's really bizarre, because if I copy the CD onto the hard drive, it usually solves the problem.

And the last machine I had the problem with, I had run memcheck for 18 hours before the install.

It is possible that the install software combined with a particular CD-ROM have trouble with file case sensitivity. If a non-critical file can't be copied, and I tell the installer to keep going, I can copy the file manually from the CD-ROM into the temporary setup directory on the HD and the install will continue just fine.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted August 14 2003 - 04:52 AM

electostatic discharge, also known as static electricity, will easily blow the tiny electrical components used in RAM.